Have the tables may have turned too far away from SLR?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BigRich, Feb 16, 2011.

  1. BigRich

    BigRich Guest

    I ran through some personal discoveries today and thought I might share with the
    group because I'm at the point where I'm seriously considering selling my
    collection of Nikon SLR camera bodies and Nikkor SLR camera lenses.

    Why would I sell these former photography treasures? Because the point-and-shoot
    cameras may have taken over my interests. And I suspect I'm more the "norm" than
    the exception these days.

    I still have my top-of-the-line-at-the-time Nikon F5 (film) camera sitting
    proudly on my shelf. It hasn't been used since the Nikon N90 (film) camera came
    out and quickly became my everyday film camera with its lighter weight and
    considerable features.

    There's a backpack I've carried on many trips overseas, storing an array of
    Nikkor AF f2.8D zoom and AF f2.8D "micro" lenses that range from 12mm (DX, same
    as 18mm FX) to 200mm. And, of course, the monster 200mm-400mm f5.6 AF lens.
    With the camera body (at the time, the top of the line Nikon D70), an SB-800
    flash and assorted chargers, filters, monopod, etc., that backpack weighs
    something like 45 pounds.

    When Nikon came into the digital camera scene, I bought into the
    new-digital-camera-every-year-or-two scene, using my film lenses. Some years
    later I bought what was the top-of-the-line 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX
    Zoom-Nikkor (18-36mm equivalent in 35mm) - what a great lens!

    Now I have two favorite cameras, because I can grab great shots without a heavy
    backpack!

    For normal pictures: My Nikon Coolpix P6000 because it takes great pictures and
    geo-tags them with the current location information - allowing me to see my
    pictures on a map on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. Since we've traveled
    everywhere from NYC to Italy to the Caribbean, that GPS feature is worth its
    weight in gold!

    For snorkeling and SCUBA diving: Today's favorite is the Olympus Stylus Tough
    8000 because it can go down to 33 feet underwater without me worrying about it.
    No GPS, though. I see Pentax is announcing a new point and shoot that will go
    to 33 feet underwater AND it includes GPS geo-tagging of pictures... that's on
    my Spring wish list now.

    The only things I'm missing from my pictures from my point and shoot cameras?

    a) The lovely blurring of the background that I could get on some pictures at
    f2.8... but now I see some of the small point and shoot cameras are offering
    f1.8...

    b) The ability to add fun filters... but I can hold them in front of the lens of
    a point and shoot...

    So, today when I was considering taking the plunge to upgrade my Nikon SLR
    camera body - maybe to a D90 - I couldn't find enough motivation to do so.

    And it started me wondering if I'll ever use those lovely Nikkor f2.8D AF
    lenses.... hence the thought that it might be time to sell them....

    Your thoughts?

    ***thanks***
    Rich

    BigRich, Feb 16, 2011

  2. BigRich

    Rich Guest

    On Feb 15, 8:21 pm, Better Info <> wrote:
    > On 15 Feb 2011 16:17:27 -0800, BigRich <> wrote:
    >

    > >Your thoughts?

    > >***thanks***
    > >Rich

    > Sell them. Don't even hesitate. Their monetary value will just go down as
    > more people move away from that camera design, looking for people to dump
    > their ancient gear on. Get while the getting's still good (somewhat). Try
    > and sell darkroom equipment today and you'll see what you're up against
    > soon. I have 5 large boxes of darkroom gear stored in the back corner of
    > the garage because its cheaper to keep it than ship it anywhere. I've been
    > trying to think of a creative alternative use for a dichroic filter-head
    > but no use for it has shown up yet.
    >
    > I sold all my SLR gear (less one prize performer that I held onto just as a
    > keepsake) back in 2001-2002, when I discovered the joys and convenience of
    > top-line super-zoom cameras for all my nature and macro photography.

    Yes, but he's trying to improve his image beyond film, not fall behind
    it.

    Rich, Feb 16, 2011

  3. "BigRich" <> wrote in message
    []
    > So, today when I was considering taking the plunge to upgrade my Nikon
    > SLR
    > camera body - maybe to a D90 - I couldn't find enough motivation to do
    > so.
    >
    > And it started me wondering if I'll ever use those lovely Nikkor f2.8D
    > AF
    > lenses.... hence the thought that it might be time to sell them....
    >
    > Your thoughts?
    >
    > ***thanks***
    > Rich

    I sold my Nikon SLR and lenses sometime after getting digital P&S and
    bridge cameras. I later bought a Nikon DSLR and the newer, lighter lenses
    which are available for the DX (small-frame) format. Having the lighter
    camera and lenses has been a blessing, with very little compromise in
    image quality - I can still get those wonderful blurred background images
    should I wish. Rather than the "kit" lenses, I now have available:
    10-24mm Tamron, 16-85mm Nikon, 18-200mm Nikon (as a carry-round general
    purpose lens), and 70-300mm Nikon. All except the 10-24mm have image
    stabilisation, which I find helpful.

    For me, the lens refresh was an important part in increasing my enjoyment
    of photography - smaller, lighter and easier to carry.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 16, 2011
  4. On Feb 15, 4:17 pm, BigRich <> wrote:
> [...]
    > No GPS, though.  I see Pentax is announcing a new point and shoot that will go
    > to 33 feet underwater AND it includes GPS geo-tagging of pictures... that's on
    > my Spring wish list now.
    >
    > The only things I'm missing from my pictures from my point and shoot cameras?
    >
    > a) The lovely blurring of the background that I could get on some pictures at
    > f2.8... but now I see some of the small point and shoot cameras are offering
    > f1.8...
    >
    > b) The ability to add fun filters... but I can hold them in front of the lens of
    > a point and shoot...
    >
    > So, today when I was considering taking the plunge to upgrade my Nikon SLR
    > camera body - maybe to a D90 - I couldn't find enough motivation to do so..
    >
    > And it started me wondering if I'll ever use those lovely Nikkor f2.8D AF
    > lenses.... hence the thought that it might be time to sell them....

    I absolutely agree!

    /M
    p.s. Please send me your lenses! ;-)

    Moro Grubb of Little Delving, Feb 16, 2011
  5. BigRich

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/16/2011 4:29 AM, Better Info wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 07:31:48 -0000, "David J Taylor"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "BigRich"<> wrote in message
    >> []
    >>> So, today when I was considering taking the plunge to upgrade my Nikon
    >>> SLR
    >>> camera body - maybe to a D90 - I couldn't find enough motivation to do
    >>> so.
    >>>
    >>> And it started me wondering if I'll ever use those lovely Nikkor f2.8D
    >>> AF
    >>> lenses.... hence the thought that it might be time to sell them....
    >>>
    >>> Your thoughts?
    >>>
    >>> ***thanks***
    >>> Rich

    >> I sold my Nikon SLR and lenses sometime after getting digital P&S and
    >> bridge cameras. I later bought a Nikon DSLR and the newer, lighter lenses
    >> which are available for the DX (small-frame) format. Having the lighter
    >> camera and lenses has been a blessing, with very little compromise in
    >> image quality - I can still get those wonderful blurred background images
    >> should I wish. Rather than the "kit" lenses, I now have available:
    >> 10-24mm Tamron, 16-85mm Nikon, 18-200mm Nikon (as a carry-round general
    >> purpose lens), and 70-300mm Nikon. All except the 10-24mm have image
    >> stabilisation, which I find helpful.
    >>
    >> For me, the lens refresh was an important part in increasing my enjoyment
    >> of photography - smaller, lighter and easier to carry.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> David

    > Yeah, that'd be really compact and lightweight with GPS receiver and a
    > water-tight housing for diving.
    >
    > I wonder if you resident-trolls will ever learn to comprehend what you
    > read. I've given up on any of you ever revising the massive amounts of
    > misinformation that you mindlessly respew, learned from other trolls like
    > yourself.
    >
    > As for your false claims about useful shallow DOF, you need to rethink your
    > archaic beliefs. DOF is a function of both aperture and lens focal-length.
    > Just change the focal-length to get the same effect if aperture is not
    > enough. Not to mention, that not ONE of the DSLR photos ever posted to
    > these newsgroups have ever been in proper focus, BECAUSE of their
    > limitations with TOO SHALLOW DOF when used with wide-aperture settings and
    > relying on that sorry hit 'n miss phase focusing..
    >
    > If only you trolls would pay attention to the direct evidence instead of
    > other trolls.

    If only we could see some verifiable examples, we might pa attention to it.
    I know, we are not worthy of your valuable time.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Feb 17, 2011