    So, the question is, does sipgate try and hijack my netgear router back to
    them!

    Cheers, Shane.
    Shane Carpenter, Jul 25, 2006

  2. Shane Carpenter

    Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:36:34 +0100, "Shane Carpenter" <nospam@nothere>
    wrote:

    >Been ok for a couple of months and then on Thursday night the
    >line went dead.

    Lightning damage, probably. There is no way that Sipgate could have
    broken it, even if they had wanted to.
    , Jul 25, 2006

  3. <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:36:34 +0100, "Shane Carpenter" <nospam@nothere>
    > wrote:
    > Lightning damage, probably. There is no way that Sipgate could have
    > broken it, even if they had wanted to.

    Unlikely lightening, 1) there wasn't any at the time, 2) I'm on Telewest
    cable, the wires are under ground, 3) it still works with Sipgate.

    As far as I know they can still do something to the router as when the
    router boots it looks at the sipgate TFTP server.

    Shane.
    Shane Carpenter, Jul 25, 2006
  4. Shane Carpenter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Shane Carpenter" <nospam@nothere> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:36:34 +0100, "Shane Carpenter"
    > > <nospam@nothere> wrote:
    > > Lightning damage, probably. There is no way that
    > > Sipgate could have broken it, even if they had wanted
    > > to.

    > Unlikely lightening, 1) there wasn't any at the time, 2)
    > I'm on Telewest cable, the wires are under ground, 3) it
    > still works with Sipgate.
    > As far as I know they can still do something to the
    > router as when the router boots it looks at the sipgate
    > TFTP server.

    Eh..? There is no reason they would deliberately try and do anything. What
    did their Tech Support say..? You did ask, right..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 25, 2006
  5. Shane Carpenter

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Shane Carpenter" <nospam@nothere> wrote in message
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:36:34 +0100, "Shane Carpenter"
    >>> <nospam@nothere> wrote:
    >>> Lightning damage, probably. There is no way that
    >>> Sipgate could have broken it, even if they had wanted
    >>> to.

    >> Unlikely lightening, 1) there wasn't any at the time, 2)
    >> I'm on Telewest cable, the wires are under ground, 3) it
    >> still works with Sipgate.
    >> As far as I know they can still do something to the
    >> router as when the router boots it looks at the sipgate
    >> TFTP server.

    > Eh..? There is no reason they would deliberately try and do anything. What
    > did their Tech Support say..? You did ask, right..?

    Any chance this coincided with the blocking of SIP connections from
    external providers (~last Thursday/Friday)?

    RumourMill: are SIPgate now restricting the source of calls to people
    they peer with or their own numbers?
    Paul Cupis, Jul 25, 2006
  6. Shane Carpenter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Any chance this coincided with the blocking of SIP
    > connections from external providers (~last
    > Thursday/Friday)?
    >
    > RumourMill: are SIPgate now restricting the source of
    > calls to people they peer with or their own numbers?

    I was talking to someone who thinks it might be something to do with
    "SPIT" (Spam over Internet Telephones") - Google it and you'll get some
    interesting info.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 25, 2006
  7. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Eh..? There is no reason they would deliberately try and do anything. What
    > did their Tech Support say..? You did ask, right..?
    >
    > Ivor

    Well I didn't fancy asking them if they had knackered my voip.co.uk
    connection as I doubt they would respond with a YES. I'm not accusing them,
    it's just weird that my router only now seems to work with sipgate. There is
    a reason why they would do it, more sipgate users ;-)

    Shane
    Shane Carpenter, Jul 25, 2006
  8. Shane Carpenter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Shane Carpenter" <no@spam please> wrote in message
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > > Eh..? There is no reason they would deliberately try
    > > and do anything. What did their Tech Support say..? You
    > > did ask, right..?

    > Well I didn't fancy asking them if they had knackered my
    > voip.co.uk connection as I doubt they would respond with
    > a YES. I'm not accusing them, it's just weird that my
    > router only now seems to work with sipgate. There is a
    > reason why they would do it, more sipgate users ;-)

    Or they could have done nothing and not released the open firmware..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 25, 2006
  9. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Or they could have done nothing and not released the open firmware..!
    >

    > Ivor

    Or they could have released the open firmware to get people to buy the
    netgear router only to take away their freedom a month or so later.
    Shane Carpenter, Jul 26, 2006
  10. Shane Carpenter

    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > > Or they could have done nothing and not released the
    > > open firmware..!

    > Or they could have released the open firmware to get
    > people to buy the netgear router only to take away their
    > freedom a month or so later.

    You don't *really* believe that, do you..? There are several other devices
    that they sell, none of which are or ever have been locked. The Netgear is
    just one device, I don't know why it was originally supplied locked, but
    if your theory is correct then surely all the equipment they sell would
    come locked..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 26, 2006
  11. Recently, Ivor Jones popped out over the fence
    around uk.telecom.voip and said...
    |"Shane Carpenter" <no@spam please> wrote in message
    |> "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    |
    |> > Or they could have done nothing and not released the
    |> > open firmware..!
    |>
    |> Or they could have released the open firmware to get
    |> people to buy the netgear router only to take away their
    |> freedom a month or so later.
    |
    |You don't *really* believe that, do you..? There are several other devices
    |that they sell, none of which are or ever have been locked. The Netgear is
    |just one device, I don't know why it was originally supplied locked, but
    |if your theory is correct then surely all the equipment they sell would
    |come locked..?
    |
    |Ivor

    OMG!!! I bought an AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN router from Sipgate and I'm
    using it with five (FIVE!) other VoIP providers, what now? Will they
    abduct me through some kind of teletransport? Is the router WLAN antenna
    to irradiate me with a lethal dose of x-rays? Will the other party hear
    me talking in Venusian?

    8-D ROTFLSTHOOTWATK

    BTW, the Netgear was locked to Sipgate because of the 555 bundled
    minutes offer, remember?

    Some people can't stop fiddling with their devices, innit?

    Nite nite...

    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid
    ßødincµs²°°°, Jul 26, 2006
  12. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > You don't *really* believe that, do you..? There are several other devices
    > that they sell, none of which are or ever have been locked. The Netgear is
    > just one device, I don't know why it was originally supplied locked, but
    > if your theory is correct then surely all the equipment they sell would
    > come locked..?
    >
    > Ivor

    No I was just being silly. I guess the question now is what on earth has
    happended to my netgear to make it only work with sipgate???
    Shane Carpenter, Jul 26, 2006
  13. Shane Carpenter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "ßødincµs²°°°" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > BTW, the Netgear was locked to Sipgate because of the 555
    > bundled minutes offer, remember?

    Yes, I'd forgotten about that.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 26, 2006
  14. Shane Carpenter

    Martin Guest

    "Shane Carpenter" <nospam@nothere> wrote:

    > No I was just being silly. I guess the question now is what on earth has
    > happended to my netgear to make it only work with sipgate???

    problems upstream at the ISP?
    Martin, Jul 26, 2006
  15. "Martin" <> wrote in message > problems upstream at
    the ISP?

    Don't think so, x-lite logs in ok with my voip.co.uk account :(
    Shane Carpenter, Jul 29, 2006