    chip too.Perhaps a second printer would be needed. I went to Best Buy
    to look around and left more confused than when i arrived. Thanks for
    your opinions.

    Bob, May 19, 2004

  2. "Bob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have lots of old photographs i would like to make copies of. Who
    > makes a decent one? I don't mind paying extra for a good quality
    > printer.I think i want just a stand alone printer. My feeling is this
    > type vs. a copier/scanner/fax machine would probably print better
    > quality photos. Yes? No? Would like to print photos from a digital
    > chip too.Perhaps a second printer would be needed. I went to Best Buy
    > to look around and left more confused than when i arrived. Thanks for
    > your opinions.

    Won't you need a scanner, too?

    Charles Schuler, May 19, 2004

  3. Bob

    Drifter Guest

    On 19 May 2004 14:39:28 -0700, (Bob)
    wrote:

    >I have lots of old photographs i would like to make copies of. Who
    >makes a decent one? I don't mind paying extra for a good quality
    >printer.I think i want just a stand alone printer. My feeling is this
    >type vs. a copier/scanner/fax machine would probably print better
    >quality photos. Yes? No? Would like to print photos from a digital
    >chip too.Perhaps a second printer would be needed. I went to Best Buy
    >to look around and left more confused than when i arrived. Thanks for
    >your opinions.

    If any of the photos are black & white then I recommend the HP
    photosmart 7960 (it has the extra photo-grey carts). Does a really
    nice job!

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, May 20, 2004
  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I don't know if i need a scanner. I'm not familiar with what to use.
    Can't i buy one machine which copies prints w/o hooking up to a
    computer? Is the job of a scanner to make copies of photographs? Is
    there also a machine which converts a negative to a photo print?

    Bob, May 20, 2004
  5. Bob

    Frank ess Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > I don't know if i need a scanner. I'm not familiar with what to use.
    > Can't i buy one machine which copies prints w/o hooking up to a
    > computer? Is the job of a scanner to make copies of photographs? Is
    > there also a machine which converts a negative to a photo print?

    If what you have is a pile of photos and a desire to make copies, and no
    interest in learning computer-involved aspects of the transition, the
    best appliance for you is a good neighborhood photography shop. They
    will take your instructions as to how many of which at which size, and
    present you with a (sizeable) bill and a finished project. Easy. No need
    to introduce a computer into the mix.

    If you want to become involved in the process, it isn't simple, although
    it can be easy.

    An expensive copier will make a duplicate, more-or-less, of the content
    of the photo. Negatives require a specialized process to print a
    positive. Neither of these involves a computer. For positives, someone
    may have to make a new negative in order to produce correct copies.

    Computer-wise, photos must be digitized in order to store and manipulate
    them in a computer. You need a scanner, a suitable camera and
    attachments,or someone to scan or shoot them for you.

    You need a computer capable of accepting and storing the digital images.

    If you want them printed "as is", warts-and-all, you need a printer.
    Most printers deserving of the name come with software that will snatch
    the digital file and push it into the printer.

    If you want to do some cleanup and touchup, you need an image
    manipulation program, patience, practice, and dedication.

    Learning to do it via computer will either result in your becoming a
    hobbyist, or a seller of second-hand equipment. Unless there is some
    attraction to the hobby, your project is best completed by hiring it
    done. It will cost less in the long run, and once it's done, it's done.

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, May 20, 2004
  6. Bob

    JMooreTS Guest

    >I have lots of old photographs i would like to make copies of

    First, I assume you have photos on paper you want to copy. If so, you need to
    scan them into your computer. A printer, by itself, cannot make copies . . .
    no matter how good of a printer it is.

    So, get a scanner. One of the less expensive ones, an Epson, for instance,
    will do nicely. There are several models under $100.

    My opinion is that a stand alone photo printer wil provide the best results.
    They range in costs from $160 - $400. The Canon i960 is a nice one.

    Even so, many of the sub-$100 printers (using only 4 ink cartridges vs. 6) do a
    nice job on photos. Epson, Canon and HP all make good printers.

    Others with experience with all-in-one copier/scanner/printers may steer you in
    that direction. They may have a point. I dunno.

    Printing from a digital chip is, in my opinion, a matter of questionable
    convenience and not a necessity at all. Your mileage may vary, however.

    John Moore

    JMooreTS, May 22, 2004