    "Local and Internet". My internet connection is working fine but I would
    like to get this notification area icon fixed as well as the display in the
    Network and Sharing Center.
    Ken Triebold, May 19, 2008

  2. We had similar post before. It could be the router doesn't compatible with
    Vista. This post may help.

    Vista says I'm not connected to Internet while I am
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=4007

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), May 19, 2008

  3. Ken Triebold

    Ken Triebold Guest

    Robert, I ran the test that was referred to in your link. The test showed
    that all router features were supported except these two:
    TCP High Performance Test
    Multiple Simultaneous Connection States Test

    I don't think those two features have any bearing on whether the internet
    connectivity is displayed correctly in Vista. Anyway, the act of running
    that test must have somehow woke up my router because now my internet
    connectivity is displayed correctly in both the notification area icon and

    Ken Triebold, May 19, 2008
  4. Thank you for the feedback.

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), May 19, 2008
  5. Ken Triebold

    Ken Triebold Guest

    Now, about an hour after running the test, it went back to saying that I
    don't have an internet connection, when in actuality I do.

    Ken Triebold, May 19, 2008
  6. Ken Triebold

    Ken Triebold Guest

    I ran the test again and this time I kept an eye on the networking icon in
    the notification area while the test was running. Right at the time when the
    test for Network Address Translator Type completed, the icon changed to show
    local and internet connectivity. This is a good clue, but I don't know how
    to proceed with it. There is something about Network Address Translator Type
    that is causing a problem with my internet connectivity display.

    Ken Triebold, May 19, 2008
  7. Ken Triebold

    Barb Bowman Guest

    do you have the latest firmware applied for your router?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, May 20, 2008
  8. Ken Triebold

    Ken Triebold Guest

    Yes, I just checked that yesterday.

    Ken Triebold, May 20, 2008
  9. Do you have any NAY settings in the router or modem?

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), May 20, 2008
  10. Ken Triebold

    Ken Triebold Guest

    Sorry, Robert. I don't know what NAY settings are. I know I did not set up
    any NAY settings on these devices.

    -Ken

    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    Ken Triebold, May 20, 2008
  11. sorry, NAT.

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), May 20, 2008
  12. Ken Triebold

    Ken Triebold Guest

    Robert, under my router firewall settings, there is an item "Filter Internet
    NAT Redirection" with a check box. The check box is not checked.

    Ken Triebold, May 21, 2008
  13. Ken Triebold

    smlunatick Guest

    I also had a similar problem with my Vista box at the office. I somehow found
    a Vista patch which is letting the older style router report correctly.

    smlunatick, May 21, 2008