Have I got this right?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by ttrogit@googlemail.com, Oct 6, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I'm planning on a move to cable broadband and porting my current
    landline number to a VoIP provider (the reason being that we've had
    the number for some time for both personal and some business use, and
    don't want to have to change it)

    I'm completely new to all this VoIP stuff, so I want to check I've got
    things right before I go ahead:

    I'm planning on porting to voipfone - are there other better options
    that will port a BT number (which may originally have been NTL) for
    the same or less than £20 + £2 per month?

    I think I need some kind of VoIP router, to allow me to run my current
    phone, sit directly after the cable modem and do the QoS bit, and has
    the potential to support a different provider for outgoing (so I can
    sign up with whoever is doing the best "free" calls-type package) -
    and still send my BT number as the outgoing caller ID.

    I've been looking at the Linksys SPA3102 - which seems to tick the
    above boxes for less outlay than anything similar.

    Am I on the right lines? Anything glaringly obvious that I've
    missed? Who could I use for my outgoing calls (I've been looking at
    voipstunt etc.)

    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    trogit

    , Oct 6, 2008

  2. Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 18:25:05 +0100, Jono <>
    wrote:

    > pretended :
    >> I'm planning on a move to cable broadband and porting my current
    >> landline number to a VoIP provider (the reason being that we've had
    >> the number for some time for both personal and some business use, and
    >> don't want to have to change it)
    >>
    >> I'm completely new to all this VoIP stuff, so I want to check I've got
    >> things right before I go ahead:

    >Well, you've come to the right place.
    >
    >> I'm planning on porting to voipfone - are there other better options
    >> that will port a BT number (which may originally have been NTL) for
    >> the same or less than £20 + £2 per month?

    >They have a reasonbly good reputation. Other choices include
    >Gradwell.com
    >
    >My concern here is that the range holder for your number could be
    >NTL...you would need to make absolutely sure that Voipfone can cope
    >with this situation. They do, AFAIR, have porting agreements with NTL.
    >

    >> I think I need some kind of VoIP router, to allow me to run my current
    >> phone, sit directly after the cable modem and do the QoS bit, and has
    >> the potential to support a different provider for outgoing (so I can
    >> sign up with whoever is doing the best "free" calls-type package) -
    >> and still send my BT number as the outgoing caller ID.

    >Fritz!box might be worth a consideration, either that or a Linksys
    >SPA3102.
    >

    >> I've been looking at the Linksys SPA3102 - which seems to tick the
    >> above boxes for less outlay than anything similar.

    >Yeah. They're great on the VoIP side but are plagued with echo on the
    >PSTN side.
    >

    >> Am I on the right lines? Anything glaringly obvious that I've
    >> missed? Who could I use for my outgoing calls (I've been looking at
    >> voipstunt etc.)

    >Any you like. I'm using SMSListo at the moment, however, I note that
    >Poivy (sp?) are slightly cheaper. They're all from the same crew that
    >provide Voipstunt.
    >

    >> Any advice would be much appreciated.
    >> Thanks,
    >> trogit

    >Go for it.

    Firstly you may already know that you don't need to use the same
    outgoing provider as the one that handles your incoming calls. That is
    why Jono has mentioned SMSListo. If you want 4 months of free landline
    calls then JustVoip is the one to go for, with handling charge and 19%
    VAT it works out at just under £10 when you top up. The £10 can be
    spent on non-free calls as you choose. If you want bargain basement,
    at 2p/call, go for Vyke but don't expect quite the same reliability in
    that calls may occasionally drop out - at least they used to, that may
    not be the case now.
    I have a Fritzbox that I use just as a router. I use an SPA-3000
    (replaced with SPA-3102). I would recommend the SPA-3102. I DO NOT
    recommend the Fritzbox as an ATA but is OK as a router with QoS. The
    Fritzbox is arguably easier to set up but the dialling experience for
    the phone user is poor.
    With the SPA-3102 you can configure it to behave exactly like a
    standard landline. It permits 5 different outgoing call providers that
    can be automatically selected according to the number type you dial.
    If you have family members using the phone they will find the dialling
    experience immediately familiar.
    When using an ATA, with a router, it is preferably that the router
    has the ability to do multiport forwarding and has a QoS(Quality of
    Service) feature.
    Just as a warning, Voxalot has ceased to work on outgoing calls with
    some providers. This includes Betamax and MyNetfone.
    Check out the best Betamax provider for you at:-
    http://backsla.sh/betamax
    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---

    Brian A, Oct 7, 2008

  3. Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Brian A <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:

    [snip]

    : I have a Fritzbox that I use just as a router. I use an SPA-3000
    : (replaced with SPA-3102). I would recommend the SPA-3102. I DO NOT
    : recommend the Fritzbox as an ATA but is OK as a router with QoS. The
    : Fritzbox is arguably easier to set up but the dialling experience for
    : the phone user is poor.

    I'd dispute that. If you treat it as a mobile, i.e. dial the full PSTN
    number all the time, there is no problem.

    I dial the SIP number when I'm calling another Sipgate or Gradwell user,
    otherwise I dial the full PSTN number. Most of my numbers are stored in
    one or other of my phone memories so it's not really a problem.

    BTW what's wrong with the Fritz as an ATA..? Works fine here with 8
    accounts on 3 providers plus a direct link to a friend's Asterisk PBX.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 7, 2008
  4. Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 18:39:25 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Brian A <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    >reason:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >: I have a Fritzbox that I use just as a router. I use an SPA-3000
    >: (replaced with SPA-3102). I would recommend the SPA-3102. I DO NOT
    >: recommend the Fritzbox as an ATA but is OK as a router with QoS. The
    >: Fritzbox is arguably easier to set up but the dialling experience for
    >: the phone user is poor.
    >
    >I'd dispute that. If you treat it as a mobile, i.e. dial the full PSTN
    >number all the time, there is no problem.
    >
    >I dial the SIP number when I'm calling another Sipgate or Gradwell user,
    >otherwise I dial the full PSTN number. Most of my numbers are stored in
    >one or other of my phone memories so it's not really a problem.
    >
    >BTW what's wrong with the Fritz as an ATA..? Works fine here with 8
    >accounts on 3 providers plus a direct link to a friend's Asterisk PBX.

    It's all just a matter of opinion obviously. With the SPA you have
    complete control of the dial plan, tones etc. You can set up a
    call-through from Voip to PSTN and vice versa.There is no need to
    press the # key after every number. It is possible to set up 2 key
    speed dials not the minimum of 3 plus the # key like on the fritzbox.
    I can set up a different tone when I want to switch directly to
    another provider - for example I use the British and the Australian
    dial tones. Well, I could go on. For those who want a comparatively
    easy set up the Fritzbox is OK but for the configuration facility,
    IMHO, is doesn't make the grade.
    The ATA part of the Fritzbox performs OK but, for me, it is just not
    configurable enough. I just wish AVM would give the option of
    configuration for those who want it.

    ---

    Brian A, Oct 7, 2008
  5. Guest

    Thanks for your help guys - I think you've convinced me to go for it.

    I guess the only compelling argument for me to go for the SPA3102
    rather than the Fritzbox would be that it's half the price!

    Just for a bit of reassurance, is there any danger of me picking up an
    SPA3102 that is locked to a provider (ie. I can't reconfigure the VoIP
    provision) - the full part number appears to be SPA3102-UK, like this:
    http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/products.asp?partno= SPA3102-UK

    And have I gathered right that I'll need one of these:
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2370 (US
    Plug to BT Socket Adapter w/Ring Capacitor) - it seems that you can't
    just replace the current RJ11->BT plug lead that my standard phone is
    connected to at the moment with a straight RJ11-RJ11 lead?

    , Oct 7, 2008
  6. Guest

    On Oct 8, 12:02 am, Jono <> wrote:
    > > it seems that you can't
    > > just replace the current RJ11->BT plug lead that my standard phone is
    > > connected to at the moment with a straight RJ11-RJ11 lead?

    > Oh yes you can.

    The implication in various places seems to be that:
    a) the phone might not ring, and
    b) RJ11->BT leads in the UK are wired inconsistently ie. different
    ways for different phones

    Is this something of an exaggeration then?

    , Oct 8, 2008
  7. Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Brian A <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:

    [snip]

    : It's all just a matter of opinion obviously. With the SPA you have
    : complete control of the dial plan, tones etc. You can set up a
    : call-through from Voip to PSTN and vice versa.

    I can do that. I've never needed to, but the facility exists.

    :There is no need to press the # key after every number.

    I don't have to do that either.

    : It is possible to set up 2 key speed dials not the minimum of 3 plus the
    # key like on the fritzbox.

    Ok that's fair enough but most of my speed dials are on the various phones
    so it's not a problem for me.

    : I can set up a different tone when I want to switch directly to
    : another provider - for example I use the British and the Australian
    : dial tones. Well, I could go on. For those who want a comparatively
    : easy set up the Fritzbox is OK but for the configuration facility,
    : IMHO, is doesn't make the grade.

    I agree about dial tones, I've asked them to do that in a future firmware
    upgrade. We'll have to wait and see if it happens.

    : The ATA part of the Fritzbox performs OK but, for me, it is just not
    : configurable enough. I just wish AVM would give the option of
    : configuration for those who want it.

    Well it depends what you want to configure. Where the Fritz scores with me
    is three analogue ports and 10 accounts.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 8, 2008
  8. Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : On Oct 8, 12:02 am, Jono <> wrote:
    : > > it seems that you can't
    : > > just replace the current RJ11->BT plug lead that my standard
    : > > phone is connected to at the moment with a straight RJ11-RJ11
    : > > lead?
    : >
    : > Oh yes you can.
    :
    : The implication in various places seems to be that:
    : a) the phone might not ring, and
    : b) RJ11->BT leads in the UK are wired inconsistently ie. different
    : ways for different phones
    :
    : Is this something of an exaggeration then?

    No, but it really does depend on your phone. Some need the ring wire, some
    don't, it's simply a case of try it and see.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 8, 2008