    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net, Aug 19, 2007

  2. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    > My only solution so far is to format

    You're on the right track, and it may be your only out.

    Mr. Arnold, Aug 19, 2007

  3. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    old man Guest

    It could just as easily be a hardware fault, does it boot into safe mode?

    old man, Aug 19, 2007
  4. On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 13:21:44 GMT, "old man" <>
    wrote:

    >It could just as easily be a hardware fault, does it boot into safe mode?

    No, that's one of the problems
    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net, Aug 19, 2007
  5. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    old man Guest

    Presumably it doesnt boot either in vga mode.
    A couple of things to try
    http://www.memtest.org/ create the bootable floppy & test
    Your hard disk manufacturers site, download create the bootable floppy hd
    testing utility

    old man, Aug 19, 2007
  6. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Sun, 19 Aug 2007 13:02:10 GMT, Without Any Hesitation Or
    Thinking Twice, Martin ©¿©¬ Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

    > Hi
    > My desktop running windowsXP, has started behaving badly
    > At boot up it just sits at the loading screen and the normally blue
    > flashing lines are green
    > Tried to repair, but in boot menue (f8) I can't get on the internet to
    > do a virus scan,it appears disabled and puts extra rubbish caracters
    > into the typed search .
    > When I do manage to start repair, it gets about 70% through then drops
    > out, reboots and starts again, only to drop out and reboot again in a
    > never ending loop
    > Google searches have found lots of people with the same problem but no
    > solutions offered seem to work for me
    >
    > Has anyone encountered this problem and can offer a solution please?
    > My only solution so far is to format

    Open the case and make sure everything is in proper order:
    Loose cards or cables, and blow the dust out of it while you are at
    it. Make sure cables are not touching any of the cards, Video, Audio
    etc. Check all cables outside the case also. And then try the safe
    mode boot again. I do not know if windows will detect a bad video
    card, but when something turns from blue to green, I would think
    video card and not OS. ?? Just a guess.
    Good Luck
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

    Old Gringo, Aug 19, 2007
  7. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    TJ Guest

    Old Gringo <> wrote in news:z0osf7oh893r
    $:

    > On Or About Sun, 19 Aug 2007 13:02:10 GMT, Without Any Hesitation Or
    > Thinking Twice, Martin ©¿©¬ Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    > The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> My desktop running windowsXP, has started behaving badly
    >> At boot up it just sits at the loading screen and the normally blue
    >> flashing lines are green
    >> Tried to repair, but in boot menue (f8) I can't get on the internet to
    >> do a virus scan,it appears disabled and puts extra rubbish caracters
    >> into the typed search .
    >> When I do manage to start repair, it gets about 70% through then drops
    >> out, reboots and starts again, only to drop out and reboot again in a
    >> never ending loop
    >> Google searches have found lots of people with the same problem but no
    >> solutions offered seem to work for me
    >>
    >> Has anyone encountered this problem and can offer a solution please?
    >> My only solution so far is to format

    > Open the case and make sure everything is in proper order:
    > Loose cards or cables, and blow the dust out of it while you are at
    > it. Make sure cables are not touching any of the cards, Video, Audio
    > etc. Check all cables outside the case also. And then try the safe
    > mode boot again. I do not know if windows will detect a bad video
    > card, but when something turns from blue to green, I would think
    > video card and not OS. ?? Just a guess.
    > Good Luck

    FWIW? XP (Service Pack 1) displays a green progress bar on boot. That
    same bar becomes blue when Service Pack 2 is installed. So whatever he has
    (or did) evidently somehow removed/disabled SP2.

    TJ, Aug 19, 2007
  8. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Vanguard Guest

    "Martin" wrote in message
    > My desktop running windowsXP, has started behaving badly
    > At boot up it just sits at the loading screen and the normally blue
    > flashing lines are green
    > Tried to repair, but in boot menue (f8) I can't get on the internet
    > do a virus scan,it appears disabled and puts extra rubbish caracters
    > into the typed search .
    > When I do manage to start repair, it gets about 70% through then
    > drops
    > out, reboots and starts again, only to drop out and reboot again in
    > never ending loop

    See if you can successfully using a DOS boot floppy or one of the
    LiveCD distros (Linux) at distrowatch.com (or even something like the
    bootable UltimateBoot CD). You'll need another working host to make
    the bootable floppy or burn the downloaded LiveCD .iso file to a
    CD-R[W].

    However, if by "repair" you meant that you booted using the Windows
    install CD and ran the Repair option from there then you already
    loaded an OS using that CD. It appears your installed OS is too badly
    corrupted to repair.

    What are "normally blue flashing lines"? The progress bar showing the
    kernel load?

    Have you ran any disk diagnostics to ensure your hard drive (just the
    hardware itself) is still good? Western Digital and Maxtor (now
    Seagate) have downloadable tools you burn to a floppy that is bootable
    but then you still need another working host to get then and make the
    floppy.

    Since you seem to have the bootable Windows install CD, use it to boot
    into Recovery Console (RC) mode. You will need the Administrator
    password. If you can get into RC mode then run "chkdsk /r".

    If you do end up having to reformat, make sure next time to schedule
    regular backups (of, at least, your data).

    --- By the way ---

    You multiposted to:
    24hoursupport.helpdesk title: HAVE I GOT A VIRUS
    alt.comp.anti-virus title: HAVE I BEEN INFECTED

    Yelling (all caps) in the Subject gets you more ignored, not more
    attention. Go read replies to your other disconnected multiposted
    message.

    Learn to cross-post.

    A point not made is that N multiposted copies will consume N times the
    disk space for each of the separate copies of the same post.
    Crossposted messages have just *one* copy on the server with links in
    the newsgroups back to the same single copy. Multiposting wastes disk
    space on the server. Yes, your post may be small but remember that
    you consume N times the space on one server and then do so again on
    all the newsgroups servers worldwide. You waste more bandwidth
    getting N copies of your multiposted message distributed to all the
    newsgroups servers worldwide. Cross-posting has just one copy of the
    message on an NNTP server, and only one copy gets propagated to other
    NNTP servers.

    To those visiting the newsgroups, crossposting helps them see ALL the
    replies from those in the other RELATED newsgroup to which you linked
    your post. That way, they don't waste their time duplicating similar
    replies.

    Vanguard, Aug 19, 2007
  9. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:06:18 -0500, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, TJ Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

    > Old Gringo <> wrote in news:z0osf7oh893r
    > $:
    >
    >> On Or About Sun, 19 Aug 2007 13:02:10 GMT, Without Any Hesitation Or
    >> Thinking Twice, Martin ©¿©¬ Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    >> The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>> My desktop running windowsXP, has started behaving badly
    >>> At boot up it just sits at the loading screen and the normally blue
    >>> flashing lines are green
    >>> Tried to repair, but in boot menue (f8) I can't get on the internet to
    >>> do a virus scan,it appears disabled and puts extra rubbish caracters
    >>> into the typed search .
    >>> When I do manage to start repair, it gets about 70% through then drops
    >>> out, reboots and starts again, only to drop out and reboot again in a
    >>> never ending loop
    >>> Google searches have found lots of people with the same problem but no
    >>> solutions offered seem to work for me
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone encountered this problem and can offer a solution please?
    >>> My only solution so far is to format

    >> Open the case and make sure everything is in proper order:
    >> Loose cards or cables, and blow the dust out of it while you are at
    >> it. Make sure cables are not touching any of the cards, Video, Audio
    >> etc. Check all cables outside the case also. And then try the safe
    >> mode boot again. I do not know if windows will detect a bad video
    >> card, but when something turns from blue to green, I would think
    >> video card and not OS. ?? Just a guess.
    >> Good Luck

    > FWIW? XP (Service Pack 1) displays a green progress bar on boot. That
    > same bar becomes blue when Service Pack 2 is installed. So whatever he has
    > (or did) evidently somehow removed/disabled SP2.

    Never having any issues, this is good info to know. Thank You
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    8/19/2007 1:02:08 PM CST

    Old Gringo, Aug 19, 2007
  10. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    old man Guest

    Perhaps I'm colour blind but I've not seen this

    old man, Aug 19, 2007
  11. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    ded Guest

    > Hi
    > My desktop running windowsXP, has started behaving badly
    > At boot up it just sits at the loading screen and the normally blue
    > flashing lines are green

    I'm not sure I understand the discription, do you mean the loading
    progress bar?
    What is the background, the XP splash screen?

    > Tried to repair, but in boot menue (f8) I can't get on the internet to
    > do a virus scan,it appears disabled and puts extra rubbish caracters
    > into the typed search .

    "Get to the internet to do a virus scan"? This implies you may not have
    anti-virus software installed but rely on free online scanners?
    If that is the case your PC is probably crippled - format reinstall only
    option,
    and install a full AV application too, but first....
    Try and explain exactly what is happening
    When you say you "tried to repair", how? from an XP installation disk,
    pre-installed recovery console, What exactly are you doing?
    What "typed search" were you doing - explain.

    > When I do manage to start repair, it gets about 70% through then drops
    > out, reboots and starts again, only to drop out and reboot again in a
    > never ending loop
    > Google searches have found lots of people with the same problem but no
    > solutions offered seem to work for me

    Obvious stuff now, you are the administrator, are there other users logons?
    Are you, or were you receiving error messages - "Invalid Boot.ini" or
    "system32/Hal.dll", error codes or registry errors -hive etc.
    If any error messages, be precise
    Are there any disks in DVD/CD drives - remove them
    disconnect externally connected hardware
    Have you looked inside the tower and tried reseating RAM sticks,
    or removing one RAM module, try booting, then alternate with other.

    ded, Aug 19, 2007