    it be called wireless?

    Thanks for any advice.

    enquirer
    enquirer, Jun 10, 2005

  2. enquirer

    DanR Guest

    Could be that they want you to set it up via a wired connection. This is the
    preferred way for firmware updates and might make the initial setup easier. I
    looked at the US Robotics site and the SureConnect 9106 sure looks like a
    wireless device to me.

    DanR, Jun 10, 2005

  3. enquirer

    Quaoar Guest

    enquirer wrote:
    > I have read many reviews about wireless ADSL Gateways and was going
    > to buy the BT Voyager which in a review said that it could be used to
    > connect to ADSL line only and that no hardwire to a computer would be
    > required (connection would be wireless) I wish to have a wireless
    > router at the phone point and connect using wireless adapters
    > connected to a desktop and a laptop (both are in other rooms away
    > from the phone point downstairs. I have bought USR SureConnect 9106
    > and the book says I need to connect to a computer using ethernet
    > cable supplied. Is this correct and if so, how can it be called
    > wireless?
    > Thanks for any advice.
    >
    > enquirer

    Wireless is evanescent so that the wireless connection can be lost and
    not recoverable when doing the basic setup to a wireless router. Thus,
    you should connect via wire when doing the basic setup operations,
    including wireless setup.

    As an example why you do not want to set up the router via a wireless
    connection, consider this: you need to establish WEP wireless security.
    If you do this with a wireless connection and enable the WEP key in the
    router, the very next thing that happens is the wireless connection you
    used to toggle the router's WEP "enable" button is lost since you did
    not already have the wireless WEP key enabled on the wireless computer
    NIC. This is easily fixed if you know for certain how to enable WEP on
    the computer wireless, but for most new wireless users, this can be a
    trial and error process. While you continue to try to get WEP working
    between router and computer, you are completely locked out of the router
    setup to disable the WEP enabling toggle if the managing computer is not
    wired (since a wired connection to the router is not affected by errors
    in wireless WEP setup on either the wireless computer or the router).

    Thus, it is recommended to do ALL router setup operation2 with a wired
    computer, not a wireless computer. Basically, this is easiest if you
    have two computers - one strictly wired and one wireless since the
    former can always (well, not really) be counted on to have access to the
    router setup GUI.

    Quaoar, Jun 10, 2005