    unusual). When I got my connection back up Zone Alarm notified me that it
    had detected a new IP Network which I couldn't delete. It says it's an
    "Active Network". Have I been hacked??????
    Don Andrews, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Don Andrews

    G. Morgan Guest

    I had one a month or two ago where a Windows XP message popped up and
    said "New network Detected", do you want to allow access? I hit "no"
    and turned the power off right away. Is that a threat?

    -Graham

    Someone named "R Green - WoWsat.com" <> Proclaimed on
    Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:41:54 GMT,

    G. Morgan, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Don Andrews

    mto Guest

    "Bill Unruh" <> wrote in message
    > "mto" <> writes:
    >
    > ]I guess the first question would be "Is your computer supposed to be
    > ]networked?" If you are a standard home computer user with an internet
    > ]connection that answer should most likely be a great big NO.
    >
    > What in the world do you thing a "network connection" is? Carrier
    > pidgeons? If you have an internet connection then you are networked.
    > What probably happened is that when you reconnected you got given a new
    > IP address perhaps even on a new subnet. Zonealarm thus suddenly saw a
    > new network and complained.
    >
    > However since I have never studied ZoneAlarm, I could not warrenty that
    > this is the correct explanation.

    I was specifically replying to G. Morgan who wrote -

    >I had one a month or two ago where a Windows XP message popped up and

    said "New network Detected", do you want to allow access? I hit "no"
    and turned the power off right away. Is that a threat?

    If you are running XP you have network - as in Internet - connections and
    you have Networking - as in a LAN. Note that the original poster said that
    ZA state that it had detected a "new IP network" - which it described as the
    active (being used) Network. ZA has settings for both.
    mto, Jul 17, 2003
  4. Don Andrews

    Don Kelloway Guest

    "Bill Unruh" <> wrote in message
    > "mto" <> writes:
    >
    > ]I guess the first question would be "Is your computer supposed to be
    > ]networked?" If you are a standard home computer user with an

    internet
    > ]connection that answer should most likely be a great big NO.
    >
    > What in the world do you thing a "network connection" is? Carrier
    > pidgeons? If you have an internet connection then you are networked.
    > What probably happened is that when you reconnected you got given a

    new
    > IP address perhaps even on a new subnet. Zonealarm thus suddenly saw a
    > new network and complained.
    >
    > However since I have never studied ZoneAlarm, I could not warrenty

    that
    > this is the correct explanation.

    re: "Carrier Pigeons"

    Don't laugh, but there's RFC (RFC-2549) entitled 'IP over Avian Carriers
    with Quality of Service'.

    If unfamiliar, read ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2549.txt for
    further information. It's quite entertaining.

    --
    Best regards,
    Don Kelloway

    Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your
    Security on the Internet".
    Don Kelloway, Jul 22, 2003
  5. >re: "Carrier Pigeons"

    >Don't laugh, but there's RFC (RFC-2549) entitled 'IP over Avian Carriers
    >with Quality of Service'.
    >
    >If unfamiliar, read ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2549.txt for
    >further information. It's quite entertaining.

    There are actually several non-nominal RFC's of the informational
    variety. At one time there were many creative people in the business
    but sadly their percapita ratio has diminished in favour of drones and
    PHB* types.

    http://www.trash.net/~martin/funrfcs.html

    Scott
    * Scott Adams theory of management www.dilbert.com