    ....DAMN, this's a cool show! :D

    Derek Janssen (why didn't they *tell* us there was a smart Western out
    there in the 50's/60's besides "Maverick"?)

    Derek Janssen, May 19, 2004

  2. "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    news:40aba3f6$0$3030$...
    : Speaking for those who've ever discovered old vintage reruns for the
    : first time the hard way, through the new studio rush for TV season-boxes
    : (since I rarely get the chance to come across one I didn't know up until
    : now), I wondered whether I was alone in the opinion, and feel it must be
    : said in the public forum:
    :
    : ...DAMN, this's a cool show! :D
    :
    : Derek Janssen (why didn't they *tell* us there was a smart Western out
    : there in the 50's/60's besides "Maverick"?)
    :

    I loved Paladin as a kid. As did my mom. She used to say, "How can
    an actor who's so ugly be so sexy?" I rented HGWT from Netflix.

    --
    *Carol* ~ ~ ~ Visit my humor & parody website, updated Fridays.
    Week of 5/14: Rainyscope's guest astrologer is Agent Fox Mulder;

    Joyeux Chanson, May 20, 2004

  3. Derek Janssen

    jayembee Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Speaking for those who've ever discovered old vintage
    > reruns for the first time the hard way, through the new
    > studio rush for TV season-boxes (since I rarely get the
    > chance to come across one I didn't know up until now),
    > I wondered whether I was alone in the opinion, and feel
    > it must be said in the public forum:
    >
    > ...DAMN, this's a cool show! :D

    Speaking for those watched the show during its original
    network run: yes, it was!

    > Derek Janssen (why didn't they *tell* us there was a
    > smart Western out there in the 50's/60's besides "Maverick"?)

    There were others, even those that were more "typical"
    Westerns, like RAWHIDE and GUNSMOKE. The 50s and early
    60s were the Golden Age of the TV Western.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, May 20, 2004
  4. Derek Janssen

    JMas493 Guest

    >There were others, even those that were more "typical"
    >Westerns, like RAWHIDE and GUNSMOKE. The 50s and early
    >60s were the Golden Age of the TV Western.

    I wish the studios would release more on DVD. When the generation that grew up
    with these shows is gone, the market for them may be gone also.

    WB alone has a horde of classic western and detective shows in their vaults and
    they are missing an opportunity to make some money off of them.

    John

    JMas493, May 21, 2004
  5. Derek Janssen

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, JMas493
    <> wrote:

    > >There were others, even those that were more "typical"
    > >Westerns, like RAWHIDE and GUNSMOKE. The 50s and early
    > >60s were the Golden Age of the TV Western.

    > I wish the studios would release more on DVD. When the generation that grew
    > up
    > with these shows is gone, the market for them may be gone also.

    The market for tv shows is still being created, and many of that
    generation probably are still just getting dvd players. If HAVE GUN
    sells, you'll see more. If not, the money will be spent releasing other
    shows.

    > WB alone has a horde of classic western and detective shows in their vaults
    > and
    > they are missing an opportunity to make some money off of them.

    Or a chance to lose money on them. Look at it from their perspective:
    if they've found there's no syndication market for these shows, how
    many people REALLY are willing to buy them? Most likely, most of the
    potential customers are people like me who never saw them originally,
    or caught the last wave or two of reruns in the 70's. My dad had no
    interest in tapes of tv shows from his childhood, such as the Cisco Kid
    ones I bought him years ago.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, May 21, 2004
  6. Derek Janssen

    jayembee Guest

    (JMas493) wrote:

    >>There were others, even those that were more "typical"
    >>Westerns, like RAWHIDE and GUNSMOKE. The 50s and early
    >>60s were the Golden Age of the TV Western.

    > I wish the studios would release more on DVD. When the
    > generation that grew up with these shows is gone, the
    > market for them may be gone also.
    >
    > WB alone has a horde of classic western and detective
    > shows in their vaults and they are missing an opportunity
    > to make some money off of them.

    Well, Warner is supposedly planning a MAVERICK release,
    though they haven't gotten into any specifics about it.

    But largely, I think it's a question of time and money.
    What they can work on is limited by what resources they
    have available. So they have to triage, and decide what
    is more like to net them a profit. And the truth is,
    whether we like it or not, that series like FRIENDS,
    THE WEST WING, and ER are going to do that better than
    50-year-old series that are virtually unknown to the
    bulk of the DVD-buying public.

    If they try "A" first, and it works, they're more likely
    to try "B". If they try "B" first, and it doesn't work,
    they're less likely to try "A". It's the nature of the
    business.

    And sometimes, those things just aren't predictable, as
    noted by the fact that Fox wasn't overwhelmed by sales on
    THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW and NYPD BLUE, two shows that
    most people would think would be damn good earners.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, May 21, 2004
  7. Derek Janssen

    Justin Guest

    jayembee wrote on [21 May 2004 07:19:15 -0700]:
    > (JMas493) wrote:
    >
    >>>There were others, even those that were more "typical"
    >>>Westerns, like RAWHIDE and GUNSMOKE. The 50s and early
    >>>60s were the Golden Age of the TV Western.

    >> I wish the studios would release more on DVD. When the
    >> generation that grew up with these shows is gone, the
    >> market for them may be gone also.
    >>
    >> WB alone has a horde of classic western and detective
    >> shows in their vaults and they are missing an opportunity
    >> to make some money off of them.

    > Well, Warner is supposedly planning a MAVERICK release,
    > though they haven't gotten into any specifics about it.
    >
    > But largely, I think it's a question of time and money.
    > What they can work on is limited by what resources they
    > have available. So they have to triage, and decide what
    > is more like to net them a profit. And the truth is,
    > whether we like it or not, that series like FRIENDS,
    > THE WEST WING, and ER are going to do that better than
    > 50-year-old series that are virtually unknown to the
    > bulk of the DVD-buying public.
    >
    > If they try "A" first, and it works, they're more likely
    > to try "B". If they try "B" first, and it doesn't work,
    > they're less likely to try "A". It's the nature of the
    > business.
    >
    > And sometimes, those things just aren't predictable, as
    > noted by the fact that Fox wasn't overwhelmed by sales on
    > THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW and NYPD BLUE, two shows that
    > most people would think would be damn good earners.

    NYPD blue is not really watchable though.

    Justin, May 21, 2004
  8. "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >
    > > Speaking for those who've ever discovered old vintage
    > > reruns for the first time the hard way, through the new
    > > studio rush for TV season-boxes (since I rarely get the
    > > chance to come across one I didn't know up until now),
    > > I wondered whether I was alone in the opinion, and feel
    > > it must be said in the public forum:
    > >
    > > ...DAMN, this's a cool show! :D

    > Speaking for those watched the show during its original
    > network run: yes, it was!
    >
    > > Derek Janssen (why didn't they *tell* us there was a
    > > smart Western out there in the 50's/60's besides "Maverick"?)

    > There were others, even those that were more "typical"
    > Westerns, like RAWHIDE and GUNSMOKE. The 50s and early
    > 60s were the Golden Age of the TV Western.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    I'd like to see Yancy Derringer
    (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0051329/combined) on DVD.

    Raúl Bloodworth, May 21, 2004
  9. Derek Janssen

    Video Flyer Guest

    NYPD Blue (was Re: Have Gun, Will Travel: Season 1)

    On 5/21/04 9:26 AM, in article 2go.com,
    "Justin" <> wrote:

    > jayembee wrote on [21 May 2004 07:19:15 -0700]:
    >> (JMas493) wrote:
    >>

    >> And sometimes, those things just aren't predictable, as
    >> noted by the fact that Fox wasn't overwhelmed by sales on
    >> THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW and NYPD BLUE, two shows that
    >> most people would think would be damn good earners.

    > NYPD blue is not really watchable though.

    The presentation of it or the show itself? This has been a favorite show of
    mine for years.

    Neal

    Video Flyer, May 21, 2004
  10. Derek Janssen

    Justin Guest

    Re: NYPD Blue (was Re: Have Gun, Will Travel: Season 1)

    Video Flyer wrote on [Fri, 21 May 2004 16:18:29 GMT]:
    > On 5/21/04 9:26 AM, in article 2go.com,
    > "Justin" <> wrote:
    >
    >> jayembee wrote on [21 May 2004 07:19:15 -0700]:
    >>> (JMas493) wrote:
    >>>

    >>> And sometimes, those things just aren't predictable, as
    >>> noted by the fact that Fox wasn't overwhelmed by sales on
    >>> THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW and NYPD BLUE, two shows that
    >>> most people would think would be damn good earners.

    >> NYPD blue is not really watchable though.

    > The presentation of it or the show itself? This has been a favorite show of
    > mine for years.

    The show.

    Justin, May 21, 2004
  11. jayembee wrote:

    >>WB alone has a horde of classic western and detective
    >>shows in their vaults and they are missing an opportunity
    >>to make some money off of them.

    > Well, Warner is supposedly planning a MAVERICK release,
    > though they haven't gotten into any specifics about it.
    >
    > But largely, I think it's a question of time and money.
    > What they can work on is limited by what resources they
    > have available. So they have to triage, and decide what
    > is more like to net them a profit. And the truth is,
    > whether we like it or not, that series like FRIENDS,
    > THE WEST WING, and ER are going to do that better than
    > 50-year-old series that are virtually unknown to the
    > bulk of the DVD-buying public.
    >
    > And sometimes, those things just aren't predictable, as
    > noted by the fact that Fox wasn't overwhelmed by sales on
    > THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW and NYPD BLUE, two shows that
    > most people would think would be damn good earners.

    Actually, it's taken years, but Fox has finally came to grips with the
    fact that the high $50-$60 set cost on MTM (for the relatively
    unenthusiastic Season 1) was the major factor, as compared to the quick,
    easy, sales-friendly MASH sets, and have been reviewing its "martyr"'s
    case more carefully for future projects--
    Take, for example, the fact that just because "Lost in Space: S1" didn't
    sell exactly as many as they'd HOPED didn't mean we loathed and despised
    the series and never wanted to see a S2, just that a couple of 2-disk
    sets would be a cheaper sales margin for what was apparently a smaller,
    more targeted niche market.
    (And just the imagined idea that "we don't like old shows" didn't help
    NYPD Blue much, either--New shows can be uncollectable crap, too.)

    The fact is, the UPN and WB-ization of UHF channels, the 80's-ization of
    Nick at Nite and TVLand, and the exile of vintage shows to the forgotten
    "Bible belt" channels of Pax and Hallmark, have nearly wiped syndicated
    reruns off the face of the earth, and studios need their fix of old-show
    income from somewhere--Which's just fine with audiences, who now accept
    favorite old episodes as books for their own private bookshelf.
    Studios are now just in the process of figuring out WHICH shows are
    "classics" by this new definition.

    Derek Janssen (and yeah, "Maverick"'s pretty good too, for a rental, but
    that's only judging from the Mel Gibson movie and the episode on the
    "Unforgiven" disk)

    Derek Janssen, May 21, 2004
  12. Derek Janssen

    sombody Guest

    Video Flyer wrote:
    > On 5/21/04 9:26 AM, in article 2go.com,
    > "Justin" <> wrote:
    >

    >>jayembee wrote on [21 May 2004 07:19:15 -0700]:
    >>
    >>> (JMas493) wrote:
    >>>

    >>>And sometimes, those things just aren't predictable, as
    >>>noted by the fact that Fox wasn't overwhelmed by sales on
    >>>THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW and NYPD BLUE, two shows that
    >>>most people would think would be damn good earners.

    >>NYPD blue is not really watchable though.

    > The presentation of it or the show itself? This has been a favorite show of
    > mine for years.
    >
    > Neal

    When I see a new episode and i SWEAR I saw it before, its time to move on.

    sombody, May 23, 2004