    but the link was in-operable.

    Anyone with suggestions?

    Mort

    Mort, Oct 17, 2007

  2. Mort

    Frank ess Guest

    Mort wrote:
    > I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few
    > times that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP
    > driver but the link was in-operable.
    >
    > Anyone with suggestions?

    My memory of that circumstance - it's been a while - is there never
    was a driver explicitly for XP, but the 2000 driver worked fine. Might
    find an operable link to such a one.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 17, 2007

  3. Mort

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Mort" <> wrote

    >I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few times
    > that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP driver
    > but the link was in-operable.
    > Anyone with suggestions?

    I had the same problem with a Nikon LS1000 slide scanner - the dedicated
    Nikon software simply won't work with XP and I kept a 98SE partition on my
    computer just for that device.

    However, I found that Hamrick's VueScan works with it better than the
    'proper' application did. I just had a look at the help file, and it sounds
    like it will work with any scanner *other than parallel-port types*. My
    Nikon is SCSI...

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Oct 18, 2007
  4. "Frank ess" <> wrote in message

    > Mort wrote:
    > > I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few
    > > times that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP
    > > driver but the link was in-operable.
    > >
    > > Anyone with suggestions?
    > >

    > My memory of that circumstance - it's been a while - is there never
    > was a driver explicitly for XP, but the 2000 driver worked fine. Might
    > find an operable link to such a one.

    I'm providing the steps used to get to this driver link in case the website
    should change in the future:

    1. Open http://www.hp.com
    2. Click Software & Driver downloads
    3. Click the "Download drivers and software (and firmware)" option button
    4. In the "for product" text field, enter S20
    5. Click the link for the HP Photosmart S20 Photo Scanner
    6. Click the link for Microsoft Windows XP

    This appears to the the link for the Windows XP drivers for the S20
    scanner...

    Software & Driver downloads
    HP Photosmart s20 Photo Scanner
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=59968&lang=en

    Daniel W. Rouse Jr., Oct 18, 2007
  5. Mort

    Guest

    On Oct 18, 4:23 am, Mort <> wrote:
    > I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few times
    > that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP driver
    > but the link was in-operable.
    >
    > Anyone with suggestions?
    >
    > Mort

    Well, you could try looking on the hp site... (I know, radical
    suggestion!)

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=au&dlc=en&product=59968&lang=en

    Problem is, it's a 70Mb download, and I can see lots of web-reports
    saying that it doesn't work well, if at all...

    Suggest you also look here:
    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007cW9

    And if all else fails, perhaps you could email Norman Koren (look him
    up) - you never know...

    , Oct 18, 2007
  6. Mort

    Guest Guest

    Mine works fine on XP but apparently the scan window is a bit dirty and it
    won't do prints.
    Bob

    Guest, Oct 18, 2007
  7. Mort

    Mort Guest

    On Oct 18, 2:20 am, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
    <> wrote:
    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in message

    > > Mort wrote:
    > > > I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few
    > > > times that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP
    > > > driver but the link was in-operable.

    > > > Anyone with suggestions?

    > > My memory of that circumstance - it's been a while - is there never
    > > was a driver explicitly for XP, but the 2000 driver worked fine. Might
    > > find an operable link to such a one.

    > I'm providing the steps used to get to this driver link in case the website
    > should change in the future:
    >
    > 1. Openhttp://www.hp.com
    > 2. Click Software & Driver downloads
    > 3. Click the "Download drivers and software (and firmware)" option button
    > 4. In the "for product" text field, enter S20
    > 5. Click the link for the HP Photosmart S20 Photo Scanner
    > 6. Click the link for Microsoft Windows XP
    >
    > This appears to the the link for the Windows XP drivers for the S20
    > scanner...
    >
    > Software & Driver downloads
    > HP Photosmart s20 Photo Scannerhttp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dl...

    Thanks for the very exact detailed instructions. It worked perfectly
    and I'm up and running on my XP unit.

    Thanks again.

    Charlie

    Mort, Oct 18, 2007
  8. Mort

    Frank ess Guest

    WTG D Dubya.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 19, 2007
  9. Mort

    Frank ess Guest

    wrote:
    > On Oct 18, 4:23 am, Mort <> wrote:
    >> I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few
    >> times that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP
    >> driver but the link was in-operable.
    >>
    >> Anyone with suggestions?
    >>
    >> Mort

    > Well, you could try looking on the hp site... (I know, radical
    > suggestion!)
    >
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=au&dlc=en&product=59968&lang=en
    >
    > Problem is, it's a 70Mb download, and I can see lots of web-reports
    > saying that it doesn't work well, if at all...
    >
    > Suggest you also look here:
    > http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007cW9
    >
    > And if all else fails, perhaps you could email Norman Koren (look
    > him up) - you never know...

    Y'know, mark.thomas.7, your continuing affair with Douggie is
    beginning to have a deleterious effect on your own behavior and voice.
    Beware: it's known that we tend to perform at the level of our
    competition, be they better, or worse, than our selves.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 19, 2007
  10. Mort

    Mort Guest

    On Oct 18, 4:03 am, wrote:
    > On Oct 18, 4:23 am, Mort <> wrote:
    >
    > > I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few times
    > > that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP driver
    > > but the link was in-operable.

    > > Anyone with suggestions?

    > > Mort

    > Well, you could try looking on the hp site... (I know, radical
    > suggestion!)
    >
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=au&dl...
    >
    > Problem is, it's a 70Mb download, and I can see lots of web-reports
    > saying that it doesn't work well, if at all...
    >
    > Suggest you also look here:http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007cW9
    >
    > And if all else fails, perhaps you could email Norman Koren (look him
    > up) - you never know...

    I had already looked over the hp site and couldn't find that download.
    I'm not the greatest computer geek, but I try. I appreciate people
    that are a genuine help.

    Charlie

    Mort, Oct 19, 2007
  11. Mort

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Paul Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR mysoul.com.au> wrote

    > I had the same problem with a Nikon LS1000 slide scanner - the dedicated
    > Nikon software simply won't work with XP and I kept a 98SE partition on my
    > computer just for that device.
    >
    > However, I found that Hamrick's VueScan works with it better than the
    > 'proper' application did. I just had a look at the help file, and it
    > sounds like it will work with any scanner *other than parallel-port
    > types*. My Nikon is SCSI...

    I've just discovered the exact same fault on my Mitsubishi Diamond DV650U
    flatbed scanner. Even with the manufacturer's XP driver it won't work, but
    it *does* work through Vuescan (although it will not allow a direct link
    through an editor, you have to 'scan and import'.) Seems to be a real useful
    programme!

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Oct 19, 2007
  12. Mort

    Guest

    On Oct 19, 9:20 am, "Frank ess" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Oct 18, 4:23 am, Mort <> wrote:
    > >> I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few
    > >> times that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP
    > >> driver but the link was in-operable.

    > >> Anyone with suggestions?

    > >> Mort

    > > Well, you could try looking on the hp site... (I know, radical
    > > suggestion!)

    > >http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=au&dl...

    > > Problem is, it's a 70Mb download, and I can see lots of web-reports
    > > saying that it doesn't work well, if at all...

    > > Suggest you also look here:
    > >http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007cW9

    > > And if all else fails, perhaps you could email Norman Koren (look
    > > him up) - you never know...

    > Y'know, mark.thomas.7, your continuing affair with Douggie is
    > beginning to have a deleterious effect on your own behavior and voice.
    > Beware: it's known that we tend to perform at the level of our
    > competition, be they better, or worse, than our selves.
    >
    > --
    > Frank ess

    Frank, I'm confused - what did my post have to do with the
    unmentionable? There was, I admit a tiny hint of tongue in cheek
    commentary about looking in the obvious place - I found the S20
    drivers in a very short time.

    I also added a link that was directly relevant, a comment about what I
    was seeing on the web about getting the S20 working with XP, and I
    even suggested he contact Norman Koren (www.normankoren.com) as he is
    probably the best known user of the S20.

    Compared to your post, I think I was a positive contributor... (O;

    Please note the winking smilie!!

    , Oct 19, 2007