Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2 installation problem (long)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by zulu, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. zulu

    zulu Guest

    I am in the process of replacing a Hauppauge WinTV usb (1.1) unit with
    Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2.
    If I run *hcwclear.exe* I (as instructed) remove all the old stuff, Windows
    XP SP2 refuses to complete the process but endlessly restarts at the
    *...your settings* window.

    If I remove all myself, using *My Uninstaller 2004* all seems fine and I can
    install the new drivers ok (new device then shows in Device manager) and I
    then reinstall the WinTV32 or WinTV2000 apps. All seems ok until I try to
    run either of them :-(

    I get three error messages:

    1} Error: cannot locate capture Filter (Hauppauge WIN TV USB Pro capture)

    2) Cannot Build Filtergraph

    3) WiTV Initialisation Error hTV=0

    I can safely do a System Restore from Safe Mode(several times now!) and the
    old unit then works ok.

    If I then unplug the usb cable and try to run either of the WinTV32 or
    WinTV2000 apps I get the same Error messages.(!)

    I have checked the usb connection on the new unit, and it seems ok.

    In fact I presume that it must be or Windows wouldn't have detectes it...

    Advice from Hauppauge is to do a Repair install of XP, but this scares me
    rigid as I am partially sighted and if I get a (predictable!) problem i wont
    be able to fix it as I can only read the small font with _extreme_
    difficulty.What would doing a Repair Install actually CHANGE (as opposed to
    FIX?)?

    For example I am using 125% DPI and all fonts set to 14 bold (all bar the
    ones I need to see, which I can't change....)

    Will the internet still work etc. etc.

    Help!

    ..... please

    TYVM

    --
    ¦ zulu ¦
    Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
    zulu, Feb 8, 2005

  2. zulu

    °Mike° Guest

    Error Messages when attempting to run WinTV32 or WinTV2000
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/faq/support_faq_usb.html#13

    <quote>
    Error messages such as: "Error. Cannot locate capture filter",
    "Cannot build filtergraph", "Error connecting Vcap and HCWCap
    filters", "Error connecting preview pin" can be caused by bad
    driver installations. Run the latest driver on the Hauppauge
    WinTV-USB technical support page to fix this. This new driver
    runs HCWCLEAR first, and then automatically reinstalls the
    driver.

    Aternatively you may receive an 'Initialization error HTV=## '.
    Please look in the Device manager to see if the Hauppauge
    WinTV USB is listed correctly in the Device Manager. If it is
    not listed properly or if it has a Yellow mark on it, the drivers
    should be reinstalled.

    Also, look under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device
    Manager and be sure that the "Universal serial bus controller"
    is listed correctly(not disabled) as well as the USB root hub. If
    disabled, re-enable, and reboot.
    <unquote>

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:56:56 GMT, in
    <IAaOd.1304$>
    zulu scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 8, 2005

  3. zulu

    Steven Guest

    usb tv cards are bad idea for recording anyways- pci better as its
    faster......

    Steven, Feb 9, 2005
  4. zulu

    zulu Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Error Messages when attempting to run WinTV32 or WinTV2000
    > http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/faq/support_faq_usb.html#13
    >
    > <quote>
    > Error messages such as: "Error. Cannot locate capture filter",
    > "Cannot build filtergraph", "Error connecting Vcap and HCWCap
    > filters", "Error connecting preview pin" can be caused by bad
    > driver installations. Run the latest driver on the Hauppauge
    > WinTV-USB technical support page to fix this. This new driver
    > runs HCWCLEAR first, and then automatically reinstalls the
    > driver.

    That has stopped the error messages, (Hooray!)
    Ae you 100% sure ythat it DOEs run HCWCLEAR?
    The display still contains the channel names I entered with the old
    device...
    e.ge BBC1, BBC2 etc.

    > Aternatively you may receive an 'Initialization error HTV=## '.
    > Please look in the Device manager to see if the Hauppauge
    > WinTV USB is listed correctly in the Device Manager. If it is
    > not listed properly or if it has a Yellow mark on it, the drivers
    > should be reinstalled.

    It's there correctly

    > Also, look under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device
    > Manager and be sure that the "Universal serial bus controller"
    > is listed correctly(not disabled) as well as the USB root hub. If
    > disabled, re-enable, and reboot.

    TYhat's OK too

    Everyything now seems to work fine.
    the only problem is - - - I get NO picture.
    (It apparently scanned ok...)

    :-((
    I VM appreciate the help BTW! :)

    zulu, Feb 9, 2005
  5. zulu

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: Re: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2 installation problem (long)
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    => zulu <= wrote:

    >Everyything now seems to work fine.
    >the only problem is - - - I get NO picture.
    >(It apparently scanned ok...)

    Did you set the proper video format (NTSC for US - PAL for Europe), and choose
    your country? (this is needed to get the correct frequency lock)

    --

    -Graham

    Remove the snails to email
    G. Morgan, Feb 9, 2005
  6. zulu

    zulu Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > Subject: Re: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2 installation problem (long)
    > Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > => zulu <= wrote:
    >
    >>Everyything now seems to work fine.
    >>the only problem is - - - I get NO picture.
    >>(It apparently scanned ok...)

    > Did you set the proper video format (NTSC for US - PAL for Europe), and
    > choose
    > your country? (this is needed to get the correct frequency lock)

    Yes
    PAl (UK)
    I'll double check that though....

    Thanks

    BTW, Nobody answered this bit howevver:

    "dvice from Hauppauge is to do a Repair install of XP, but this scares me
    rigid as I am partially sighted and if I get a (predictable!) problem i wont
    be able to fix it as I can only read the small font with _extreme_
    difficulty.What would doing a Repair Install actually CHANGE (as opposed to
    FIX?)?
    For example I am using 125% DPI and all fonts set to 14 bold (all bar the
    ones I need to see, which I can't change....)
    Will the internet still work etc. etc."
    Question: would it help anyway?

    Back in a couple of hours....I have to collect the wife from work and then
    cook dinner <g>
    It's a hard life being retired, I've never had to work so hard! :)
    zulu, Feb 9, 2005
  7. zulu

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:14:23 GMT, in
    <zFqOd.187$>
    zulu scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Everyything now seems to work fine.

    That's good.

    >the only problem is - - - I get NO picture.
    >(It apparently scanned ok...)

    I can't help you there, unfortunately.

    >:-((
    >I VM appreciate the help BTW! :)

    You're welcome.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 9, 2005
  8. zulu

    zulu Guest

    Hooray!
    It working <huge grin>

    I tried SO may things that I can't be sure what finally did the trick, which
    is a shame. I think it was to do with getting the original devive (WiTV -
    usb) working again and then using the hcwclear.exe file, which apparently
    worked for the first time evr!) and then re-nstallng the drivers and then
    updating same etc etc...

    It only took me a week...with success coming in the small hours at the
    epense of a stupendous headache 9i have impaired vision...)

    The device works beautifully (as far as I can tell at this point) and the
    picture quality is excellent.

    All I need now is a better skin for it. The tV app certainly isn't designed
    for people with low vision :-(

    Thanks to all who chipped in to offer assistance

    zulu, Feb 10, 2005
  9. zulu

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Feb 10, 2005
  10. zulu

    zulu Guest

    Me three!
    It shouldn't take more than a month to get to grips withit all... :)

    Any idea where I can get more user friendly skins?

    I find it VERY hard to see the buttons, and as for the tiny off *x*...
    {I know...alt+F4) <g>
    I need my magnifying glass to find things!

    regards,

    zulu, Feb 10, 2005
  11. zulu

    °Mike° Guest

    I don't know about "user friendly", but you could
    try here:
    http://www.skinbase.org/section.php?sections=wintv

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:33:36 GMT, in
    <4jROd.257$%>
    zulu scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 10, 2005
  12. zulu

    zulu Guest

    Thanks very much Mike.
    The only problem is,.......black on blue is _almost_ impossible for my eyes
    to resolve.
    I'll give them a rest, and try again later..
    AArrrggghhhhh.(I know...don't shoot themeesenger!) :)

    --
    ¦ zulu ¦

    zulu, Feb 11, 2005