Hauppauge very slow to release 64 bit drivers for some products

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John E, Apr 20, 2007.

  1. John E

    John E Guest

    Recently on the Hauppauge forum in the UK the following message appeared:

    -----------

    There have been a number of threads here recently regarding 64-bit drivers,
    collectively known as the 88x range:

    Nova-T
    HVR-1100
    HVR-1300
    HVR-3000
    HVR-4000

    These products all the use same driver - so it is one driver for all the
    products.

    Currently we don't have a 64-bit Driver. We have plans to write one and when
    I have a concrete date that a beta or any version will be released. I will
    post it in this thread alone.

    There is no reason to start any new threads on the subject as the
    information can be found in this thread.

    We don't normally lock/delete posts but I think it's best all round if we
    keep the information here.

    So: no new posts on the subject please. This forum is not a place for people
    to post rants that we don't have drivers for this product range, it's a
    place for people to help each other and recieve support and help on their
    products.

    I hope we can all respect these wishes without the need for moderation.

    -------

    An element of hysteria here, maybe? These people have had Windows x64 for
    over a year now, and there are no drivers for that. I wonder why they are
    now in such a panic about the drivers for Vista. If they had worked on
    drivers for Windows x64, maybe they would have managed to produce Vista x64
    drivers by now. These Hybrid cards have a short 'useful life'. In that at
    the moment in the UK we have both digital TV and analogue (analog)
    transmissions. The Analogue transmissions are due to be turned off in the
    next few years, which means that these particular cards have a limited life.
    Some of them were sold as 'premium' cards, and it is amazing that Hauppauge
    has not supported these fully from day one in Vista.

    I have used Hauppauge products for some years, and I am seriously
    unimpressed with the company's performance with regard to 64 bit drivers.
    They are making the excuse that 64 bit drivers were not mentioned on the
    product at the time it was released, however, they must have known that 64
    bit was coming soon.

    --

    John.

    John E, Apr 20, 2007

  2. John E wrote:

    >An element of hysteria here, maybe? These people have had Windows x64 for
    >over a year now, and there are no drivers for that. I wonder why they are
    >now in such a panic about the drivers for Vista. If they had worked on
    >drivers for Windows x64, maybe they would have managed to produce Vista
    >x64 drivers by now.

    WAG, but maybe these cards have sold in small numbers compared to their
    other cards? And therefore they have (not unreasonably) been concentrating
    on the others? There have been a whole bunch of Vista drivers (some x86,
    some x64) released for Hauppauge cards in the last month or two.

    >These Hybrid cards have a short 'useful life'. In that at the moment in
    >the UK we have both digital TV and analogue (analog) transmissions. The
    >Analogue transmissions are due to be turned off in the next few years,
    >which means that these particular cards have a limited life. Some of them
    >were sold as 'premium' cards, and it is amazing that Hauppauge has not
    >supported these fully from day one in Vista.

    Um, that doesn't shorten the life of the cards - if anything, they'll last
    longer (because they work both now and in future).

    >I have used Hauppauge products for some years, and I am seriously
    >unimpressed with the company's performance with regard to 64 bit drivers.
    >They are making the excuse that 64 bit drivers were not mentioned on the
    >product at the time it was released, however, they must have known that 64
    >bit was coming soon.

    Are they [making excuses]? I got the impression from the snippet you
    posted that they're actively working on 64-bit drivers.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Apr 21, 2007

  3. Steve Foster [SBS MVP] wrote:

    >Are they [making excuses]? I got the impression from the snippet you
    >posted that they're actively working on 64-bit drivers.

    Oh, and PS, the MS requirement for signed drivers with x64 is probably
    slowing things down a touch too.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Apr 21, 2007
  4. John E

    John Barnes Guest

    Not probably, definitely. Virtually stopped free and reasonable software
    for Vista64

    John Barnes, Apr 21, 2007
  5. John E

    John E Guest

    > John E wrote:
    >
    >>An element of hysteria here, maybe? These people have had Windows x64 for
    >>over a year now, and there are no drivers for that. I wonder why they are
    >>now in such a panic about the drivers for Vista. If they had worked on
    >>drivers for Windows x64, maybe they would have managed to produce Vista
    >>x64 drivers by now.

    > WAG, but maybe these cards have sold in small numbers compared to their
    > other cards? And therefore they have (not unreasonably) been concentrating
    > on the others? There have been a whole bunch of Vista drivers (some x86,
    > some x64) released for Hauppauge cards in the last month or two.
    >
    >>These Hybrid cards have a short 'useful life'. In that at the moment in
    >>the UK we have both digital TV and analogue (analog) transmissions. The
    >>Analogue transmissions are due to be turned off in the next few years,
    >>which means that these particular cards have a limited life. Some of them
    >>were sold as 'premium' cards, and it is amazing that Hauppauge has not
    >>supported these fully from day one in Vista.

    > Um, that doesn't shorten the life of the cards - if anything, they'll last
    > longer (because they work both now and in future).
    >
    >>I have used Hauppauge products for some years, and I am seriously
    >>unimpressed with the company's performance with regard to 64 bit drivers.
    >>They are making the excuse that 64 bit drivers were not mentioned on the
    >>product at the time it was released, however, they must have known that 64
    >>bit was coming soon.

    > Are they [making excuses]? I got the impression from the snippet you
    > posted that they're actively working on 64-bit drivers.

    Actively working, maybe, but very, very slowly.

    If they had *started* working a year ago on 64bit drivers for XP, don't you
    think they might actually be a bit further forward today?

    --

    John.

    John E, Apr 23, 2007
  6. John E

    John E Guest

    > Steve Foster [SBS MVP] wrote:
    >
    >>Are they [making excuses]? I got the impression from the snippet you
    >>posted that they're actively working on 64-bit drivers.

    > Oh, and PS, the MS requirement for signed drivers with x64 is probably
    > slowing things down a touch too.

    Well, that maybe true too.

    --

    John.

    John E, Apr 23, 2007
  7. John E

    Ensor Guest

    Hi,

    > An element of hysteria here, maybe? These people have had Windows
    >x64 for over a year now, and there are no drivers for that....

    There are some I believe, but they've not exactly been falling over
    themselves to release 64-bit drivers for their products.

    They're not alone though, I contacted Palm about 64-bit drivers for their
    products nearly 12 months ago, in short, the answer I got was "We can't be
    bothered". A *very* short sighted attitude. :-(

    >....I have used Hauppauge products for some years, and I am seriously
    >unimpressed with the company's performance with regard to 64 bit
    >drivers....

    And I'm TOTALLY unimpressed with Hauppauge's track record with regards to
    software, PERIOD!

    I've had a Hauppauge "Media MVP" for well over two years now. I've lost
    count of the number of software updates they've released in this time;
    plenty of new features (a few of which even work!), but they have singularly
    failed to fix a LARGE number of bugs, which I and many others have brought
    to their attention via their forums, that have existed in the software since
    version 1!!!!

    Great hardware, but if you want a product that actually works as advertised
    look elsewhere (I'll certainly never waste money on their garbage ever
    again).

    TTFN - Pete.

    Ensor, Apr 24, 2007
  8. John E

    XS11E Guest

    "Ensor" <none@localhost> wrote:

    > There are some I believe, but they've not exactly been falling
    > over themselves to release 64-bit drivers for their products.

    I have to jump in and defend one company, I had a conflict with
    Logitech's SetPoint software and contacted them, they offered some
    suggestions but none worked. This evening they emailed me that they
    were rewriting SetPoint to eliminate the conflict, etc. They also said
    I would be notified when the new SetPoint was released!

    So there ARE those who do try, sometimes it feels that nobody gives a
    darn about the customers but there are those who do.

    Just had to mention that and how pleased I am about it!

    XS11E, Apr 24, 2007
  9. John E

    Ensor Guest

    Hi,

    > So there ARE those who do try, sometimes it feels that nobody
    >gives a darn about the customers but there are those who do....

    Sorry if my last post sounded a bit negative.

    I should have said that the manufacturers of ALL of the other hardware I own
    have produced 64-bit drivers (or at the very least beta drivers), even
    Nokia!

    It's just Palm and Hauppauge, in my experience, who are dragging their
    feet.... :-(

    TTFN - Pete.

    Ensor, Apr 24, 2007
  10. John E

    64bit Guest

    64bit, Dec 19, 2007
  11. John E

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, 64bit.

    That thread (from August 2007) lists drivers for several HVR units - but NOT
    for my HVR-1600. :>(

    But something - I'm not sure what - has worked on my machine and I can now
    use my HVR-1600 tuner with both Vista Ultimate x64's Media Center and the
    two versions of Hauppauge WinTV (version 6 and WinTV2000). Now my problem
    reverts back to my lack of TV cable: I can get only a dozen or so
    over-the-air broadcast channels. "When they are good, they are very, very
    good, but when they are bad, they are horrid!" :>(

    My driver is "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC Combo", from Hauppauge,
    version 1.62.25108.0, dated 4/12/2007.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Dec 19, 2007
  12. John E

    Carlos Guest

    Re: Hauppauge very slow to release 64 bit drivers for some product

    R.C.,
    "Bad" as in grainy?
    In that case check the assembly of every connector+cable driving the RF
    signal.
    A loose connection might cause grainy images.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 19, 2007
  13. John E

    R. C. White Guest

    Re: Hauppauge very slow to release 64 bit drivers for some product

    Hi, Carlos.

    No, not grainy. "Bad" as in "No Signal" - or signal that comes and goes.
    It is either perfect or not there at all. And it switches from one extreme
    to the other so often and so quickly that it is often unwatchable. Like
    trying to watch a dirty DVD. (No, not THAT kind of dirty!) It just keeps
    breaking up and skipping.

    I'm not blaming Hauppauge for that condition. If I would just break down
    and subscribe to TV cable, I'm sure all the channels would be HD and
    perfect! But I'll probably keep using the omnidirectional antenna in the
    attic until we get HDTV in the living room.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Dec 20, 2007
  14. Re: Hauppauge very slow to release 64 bit drivers for some product

    What you describe is the achilles heal of digital broadcasting, the signal
    is there or it isn't. Do you know how much signal amplification your antenna
    delivers? A very normal setup would have 15db gain. If your signal comes in
    at 15db +/- something, you probably would see that kind of effect. I have
    seen commercial antennnas at up to 25db, that could cure it for you, and
    perhaps suck in a few more channels from a longer distance?

    While not being cheap, it might cure your ulcers too. . .

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 22, 2007
  15. Re: Hauppauge very slow to release 64 bit drivers for some product

    Heck, my dental work does all that. It cost me even more, though. :/

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 22, 2007