Haunted PC?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by BIGEYE, Aug 6, 2005.

  1. BIGEYE

    BIGEYE Guest

    My daughters PC seems haunted. Firstly it was switching itself off (or so it
    seems) for no reason, but what I did notice was that just the CPU fan slows
    down a little then returns to normal speed, and it sounds like a relay
    dropping out in the PSU.
    It was like something faulty in the pc dragging the voltage down. I ended up
    disconnecting both the CD drives and the pc ran OK all night.
    I shut it down normally in the morning. A couple of minutes later the CPU
    fan started up by itself, and the power light came on. There is no HDD
    activity and no display on the monitor.
    This happens all the time now, I cant get any display on the monitor and it
    won't switch on from the power button on the front of the pc.
    I tested the power on & reset switches, they are OK. I left them
    disconnected and the CPU fan still starts up, but no HDD activity and no
    display. The FDD LED doesn't blink either.
    From what I know about her PC is that there is no wake configured, and this
    happens without connected to the internet.
    The OS is XP Pro with SP2.
    I can't get anything to operate apart from the CPU fan that starts itself,
    and the only way to stop it is to switch it off at the wall.
    Suspect a problem mobo.
    Anyone came across this problem. A Google has shown some similar problems
    but not the same problems.
    Don't know off hand what mobo it is, but it is an Athlon XP +1800 CPU.
    Appreciate any advice.
    TIA

    BIGEYE, Aug 6, 2005

  2. BIGEYE

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok> wrote in message
    > My daughters PC seems haunted. Firstly it was switching itself off (or so
    > it seems) for no reason, but what I did notice was that just the CPU fan
    > slows down a little then returns to normal speed, and it sounds like a
    > relay dropping out in the PSU.
    > It was like something faulty in the pc dragging the voltage down. I ended
    > up disconnecting both the CD drives and the pc ran OK all night.
    > I shut it down normally in the morning. A couple of minutes later the CPU
    > fan started up by itself, and the power light came on. There is no HDD
    > activity and no display on the monitor.
    > This happens all the time now, I cant get any display on the monitor and
    > it won't switch on from the power button on the front of the pc.
    > I tested the power on & reset switches, they are OK. I left them
    > disconnected and the CPU fan still starts up, but no HDD activity and no
    > display. The FDD LED doesn't blink either.
    > From what I know about her PC is that there is no wake configured, and
    > this happens without connected to the internet.
    > The OS is XP Pro with SP2.
    > I can't get anything to operate apart from the CPU fan that starts itself,
    > and the only way to stop it is to switch it off at the wall.
    > Suspect a problem mobo.
    > Anyone came across this problem. A Google has shown some similar problems
    > but not the same problems.
    > Don't know off hand what mobo it is, but it is an Athlon XP +1800 CPU.
    > Appreciate any advice.
    > TIA

    My first guess is a bad motherboard. That 'era' of CPU frequently shipped on
    motherboards that are known to develop leaky capacitors. I have five at work
    that run a very similar CPU, and in the last 6 months every one of the
    motherboards has failed. I can see swollen caps, and eventually they blew
    voltage regulators on the board. Nice "toasted electronics" smell in the
    office <g>

    Unfortunately, also due to the age of the components, reusing the CPU meant
    a new motherboard which used different memory than was on the old. Plus, on
    mine, when the voltage regulators blew, it took out the power supply. So, a
    motherboard, memory, and PS is worth more than the computer. So they are now
    in the "spare parts" stack.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 6, 2005

  3. BIGEYE

    Arse Guest

    BIGEYE wrote

    > My daughters PC seems haunted. Firstly it was switching itself off (or so it
    > seems) for no reason, but what I did notice was that just the CPU fan slows
    > down a little then returns to normal speed, and it sounds like a relay
    > dropping out in the PSU.
    > It was like something faulty in the pc dragging the voltage down. I ended up
    > disconnecting both the CD drives and the pc ran OK all night.
    > I shut it down normally in the morning. A couple of minutes later the CPU
    > fan started up by itself, and the power light came on. There is no HDD
    > activity and no display on the monitor.
    > This happens all the time now, I cant get any display on the monitor and it
    > won't switch on from the power button on the front of the pc.
    > I tested the power on & reset switches, they are OK. I left them
    > disconnected and the CPU fan still starts up, but no HDD activity and no
    > display. The FDD LED doesn't blink either.
    > From what I know about her PC is that there is no wake configured, and this
    > happens without connected to the internet.
    > The OS is XP Pro with SP2.
    > I can't get anything to operate apart from the CPU fan that starts itself,
    > and the only way to stop it is to switch it off at the wall.
    > Suspect a problem mobo.
    > Anyone came across this problem. A Google has shown some similar problems
    > but not the same problems.
    > Don't know off hand what mobo it is, but it is an Athlon XP +1800 CPU.
    > Appreciate any advice.
    > TIA

    Don't forget to unplug the comp when you're not using it - otherwise it
    might catch fire.

    Get Everest Home from here and id the motherboard
    http://www.lavalys.com/

    Arse, Aug 6, 2005
  4. BIGEYE

    Phantom Guest

    I suspect a faulty " Power On " button on the front of your daughter's
    computer case. It may be stuck in the depressed state although it looks
    normal.

    Phantom, Aug 6, 2005
  5. BIGEYE

    Guest

    "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok> wrote:

    alt.warez.uk? I could see alt.hack but not warez :)

    |>My daughters PC seems haunted. Firstly it was switching itself off (or so it
    |>seems) for no reason, but what I did notice was that just the CPU fan slows
    |>down a little then returns to normal speed, and it sounds like a relay
    |>dropping out in the PSU.
    |>It was like something faulty in the pc dragging the voltage down. I ended up
    |>disconnecting both the CD drives and the pc ran OK all night.
    |>I shut it down normally in the morning. A couple of minutes later the CPU
    |>fan started up by itself, and the power light came on. There is no HDD
    |>activity and no display on the monitor.
    |>This happens all the time now, I cant get any display on the monitor and it
    |>won't switch on from the power button on the front of the pc.
    |>I tested the power on & reset switches, they are OK. I left them
    |>disconnected and the CPU fan still starts up, but no HDD activity and no
    |>display. The FDD LED doesn't blink either.

    Test your 12V power reads like your not being supplied.

    --
    http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf

    , Aug 6, 2005
  6. BIGEYE

    BIGEYE Guest

    "Phantom" <> wrote in message
    >I suspect a faulty " Power On " button on the front of your daughter's
    > computer case. It may be stuck in the depressed state although it looks
    > normal.
    >
    > "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok> wrote in message
    >> My daughters PC seems haunted. Firstly it was switching itself off (or so
    >> it seems) for no reason, but what I did notice was that just the CPU fan
    >> slows down a little then returns to normal speed, and it sounds like a
    >> relay dropping out in the PSU.
    >> It was like something faulty in the pc dragging the voltage down. I ended
    >> up disconnecting both the CD drives and the pc ran OK all night.
    >> I shut it down normally in the morning. A couple of minutes later the CPU
    >> fan started up by itself, and the power light came on. There is no HDD
    >> activity and no display on the monitor.
    >> This happens all the time now, I cant get any display on the monitor and
    >> it won't switch on from the power button on the front of the pc.
    >> I tested the power on & reset switches, they are OK. I left them
    >> disconnected and the CPU fan still starts up, but no HDD activity and no
    >> display. The FDD LED doesn't blink either.
    >> From what I know about her PC is that there is no wake configured, and
    >> this happens without connected to the internet.
    >> The OS is XP Pro with SP2.
    >> I can't get anything to operate apart from the CPU fan that starts
    >> itself, and the only way to stop it is to switch it off at the wall.
    >> Suspect a problem mobo.
    >> Anyone came across this problem. A Google has shown some similar problems
    >> but not the same problems.
    >> Don't know off hand what mobo it is, but it is an Athlon XP +1800 CPU.
    >> Appreciate any advice.
    >> TIA

    I tested the power on button with a DMM, tested OK. The pc does this with
    the power on and reset buttons disconnected from the mobo.

    BIGEYE, Aug 6, 2005
  7. BIGEYE

    Matt Guest

    Before you splash out on a new board, check the big capacitors, usually in a
    line near the cpu to see if any are bulging-out, if so they can be replaced
    in most cases.
    Have you tried removing cards/drives one by one? A different PSU?
    Also try disabling wake-on Lan/modem in the bios.

    Matt, Aug 6, 2005
  8. BIGEYE

    BIGEYE Guest

    "Phantom" <> wrote in message
    >I suspect a faulty " Power On " button on the front of your daughter's
    > computer case. It may be stuck in the depressed state although it looks
    > normal.
    >
    > "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok> wrote in message
    >> My daughters PC seems haunted. Firstly it was switching itself off (or so
    >> it seems) for no reason, but what I did notice was that just the CPU fan
    >> slows down a little then returns to normal speed, and it sounds like a
    >> relay dropping out in the PSU.
    >> It was like something faulty in the pc dragging the voltage down. I ended
    >> up disconnecting both the CD drives and the pc ran OK all night.
    >> I shut it down normally in the morning. A couple of minutes later the CPU
    >> fan started up by itself, and the power light came on. There is no HDD
    >> activity and no display on the monitor.
    >> This happens all the time now, I cant get any display on the monitor and
    >> it won't switch on from the power button on the front of the pc.
    >> I tested the power on & reset switches, they are OK. I left them
    >> disconnected and the CPU fan still starts up, but no HDD activity and no
    >> display. The FDD LED doesn't blink either.
    >> From what I know about her PC is that there is no wake configured, and
    >> this happens without connected to the internet.
    >> The OS is XP Pro with SP2.
    >> I can't get anything to operate apart from the CPU fan that starts
    >> itself, and the only way to stop it is to switch it off at the wall.
    >> Suspect a problem mobo.
    >> Anyone came across this problem. A Google has shown some similar problems
    >> but not the same problems.
    >> Don't know off hand what mobo it is, but it is an Athlon XP +1800 CPU.
    >> Appreciate any advice.
    >> TIA

    I removed all cards from expansion slots & left HDD disconnected. All that
    is left is mobo, cpu, ram & psu.
    After switching on at the wall and pressing the power on button on the front
    of the pc, nothing happened.
    I linked pins 14 & 15 on the 20 Pin connector from psu to mobo, still
    nothing. I then removed the link.
    After waiting a few minutes (seems to be about the same length of time every
    time) the cpu fan started.
    I tested all voltages from the psu to the 20 pin mobo connector (whilst it
    was still connected to the mobo and cpu fan running). All voltages are
    testing good.
    Any suggestions.
    TIA

    BIGEYE, Aug 6, 2005
  9. BIGEYE

    BIGEYE Guest

    "Matt" <9.co.ku> wrote in message
    > Before you splash out on a new board, check the big capacitors, usually in
    > a line near the cpu to see if any are bulging-out, if so they can be
    > replaced in most cases.
    > Have you tried removing cards/drives one by one? A different PSU?
    > Also try disabling wake-on Lan/modem in the bios.
    >

    > "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok> wrote in message
    >> "Phantom" <> wrote in message
    >>>I suspect a faulty " Power On " button on the front of your daughter's
    >>> computer case. It may be stuck in the depressed state although it looks
    >>> normal.
    >>>
    >>> "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >> I tested the power on button with a DMM, tested OK. The pc does this with
    >> the power on and reset buttons disconnected from the mobo.

    Checked the electrolytic capacitors as you suggested, although not bulging,
    I would say at least three are blown as the tops have started to open with
    signs of the brown paper/electrolyte starting to leak out.

    BIGEYE, Aug 6, 2005
  10. BIGEYE

    Matt Guest

    its the caps. they've obviously gone beyond bulging. We get a lot of old
    Asus boards coming back with the same fault. Replacing the caps will work as
    long as nothing else has blown. Worth a shot...

    Matt, Aug 6, 2005
  11. BIGEYE

    BIGEYE Guest

    "Matt" <9.co.ku> wrote in message
    > its the caps. they've obviously gone beyond bulging. We get a lot of old
    > Asus boards coming back with the same fault. Replacing the caps will work
    > as long as nothing else has blown. Worth a shot...
    >
    > "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok> wrote in message
    >> "Phantom" <> wrote in message
    >>>I suspect a faulty " Power On " button on the front of your daughter's
    >>> computer case. It may be stuck in the depressed state although it looks
    >>> normal.
    >>>
    >>> "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >> I removed all cards from expansion slots & left HDD disconnected. All
    >> that is left is mobo, cpu, ram & psu.
    >> After switching on at the wall and pressing the power on button on the
    >> front of the pc, nothing happened.
    >> I linked pins 14 & 15 on the 20 Pin connector from psu to mobo, still
    >> nothing. I then removed the link.
    >> After waiting a few minutes (seems to be about the same length of time
    >> every time) the cpu fan started.
    >> I tested all voltages from the psu to the 20 pin mobo connector (whilst
    >> it was still connected to the mobo and cpu fan running). All voltages are
    >> testing good.
    >> Any suggestions.
    >> TIA

    I think she can afford a new mobo. Thanks for everyone's help.

    BIGEYE, Aug 6, 2005