Hate to see

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John Barnes, Jun 28, 2005.

  1. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Then the merger with Microsoft and Linux suppliers. Windows for desktop and
    server and Linux which has a significant server base (and tiny and now
    shrinking desktop base).

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005

  2. John Barnes

    Intel_Fan Guest

    I think that would be great. It'll never happen though.

    Intel_Fan, Jun 30, 2005

  3. John Barnes

    NNBXX Guest

    And a merger between Microsoft and Oracle would be great also ;)

    NNBXX, Jun 30, 2005
  4. John Barnes

    James Park Guest

    Why would it be great? I thought it's generally better for consumers for
    there to be competition.

    James Park, Jun 30, 2005
  5. John Barnes

    Intel_Fan Guest

    True, but from a programming point of view it could help standardize
    hardware (ie. chipsets and bus controllers) and more importantly, CPU
    instruction sets.

    Intel_Fan, Jun 30, 2005
  6. There would still be competition between IBM Power and Transmeta.
    --
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 30, 2005
  7. Yeah, Oracle for small businesses and SQL for Enterprises. ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 30, 2005
  8. I agree. Suppose they had merged three years ago. Would we have the x2 now
    or two years down the road?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 1, 2005
  9. A merger between Intel and AMD doesn't necessarily mean it will be good for
    the industry, but consumer and business will definitely benefit.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005