    Advanced Micro Devices fired off a federal antitrust lawsuit against Intel
    on Tuesday, claiming that its rival has a monopolistic grip on the PC
    industry.

    John Barnes, Jun 28, 2005

  2. You are asking for World War III here.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 28, 2005

  3. John Barnes

    M. Murcek Guest

    This is really somewhat different from what Microsof has gone through.
    Chipmaking is really a capital-intensive heavy industry. Intel is a VERY
    big industrial company. I think AMD may have miscalculated here. And I will
    not be responding to ANY flames from AMD fanbots, no matter how much
    personal invective they might try to heap on me for stating my opinion here.

    Just.Won't.Go.There...

    M. Murcek, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Kinda reminds me of my old company Digital Equipment Corp (who also sued
    Intel for steal their technology) with their Alpha Processors, which were 64
    bit back in 95. But anyways, Digital aka DEC had the worse marketing every
    and everytime a mag would write a review about the latest processor, it
    would be something like, "As usual DEC deliver a chip that is all Steak, but
    no sizzle" meaning we could market it for crap.

    Anyways, I was a die hardcore Intel guy, but switch over to AMD last year. I
    use my homebuilt Intel at work and the AMD for home and games. In my
    opinion, they are both fine processors, and when comparing like chips the
    performance difference is really only noticeable when using a benchmark,
    else I would never know one from the other (mainly cause one is a 3.6 and
    the other is a 3800+)

    I think AMD has done a great job of making a great chip, and if nothing else
    forced Intel to drop their prices, which is all I think any of us care
    about, over a few percentage points either way.

    My two cents

    Dale Mad_Murdock White, Jun 28, 2005
  5. John Barnes

    M. Murcek Guest

    Yeah, and DEC is where Dave Cutler worked before he came to Microsoft to
    architect NT. Well, there are still some people running OpenVMS.

    M. Murcek, Jun 29, 2005
  6. Yeah just because a company sues another company doesn't mean they expect to
    win. This could be purely for a news headline. AMD is trying to keep Intel on
    their toes.

    But then again, I would not be surprised if Intel has been using un-ethical
    practices to enforce their domination of the industry, especially overseas.
    This is common practice for larger corporations to hold their market share.
    Look at it like corporate racketeering.
    --
    Fritz
    Computer type person

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJpdHo=?=, Jun 29, 2005
  7. > Yeah just because a company sues another company doesn't mean they expect
    > win. This could be purely for a news headline.

    Yeah, because a headline that says "AMD lawsuit against Intel fails" would
    do *so* much good for AMD.

    I'm not saying this is gonna be the outcome...I'm just saying that if they
    don't expect to win, then it's pretty stupid to file the lawsuit just to
    grab headlines.

    Then again, whenever you get lawyers involved, logic goes out the window.

    Homer J. Simpson, Jun 29, 2005
  8. Microsoft sues people all the time. Do you think they expect to win every case?

    AMD is miniscule in size compared to Intel and right now they are in full
    out competition. This is definitely good for them and bad for Intel no matter
    the outcome. Its the david and goliath media blitz.

    --
    Fritz
    Computer type person

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJpdHo=?=, Jun 29, 2005
  9. Has anyone ever seen a picture of Dave Cutler? I still don't know what he
    looks like.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 29, 2005
  10. John Barnes

    M. Murcek Guest

    Here's a link from the AMD site of Cutler on video talking about x64.
    Unfortunately, you need RealPlayer (ugh!) to see it.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Weblets/0,,7832_8366_7823_8718^7839,00.html

    M. Murcek, Jun 29, 2005
  11. Google searched:
    http://www.inpc.de/pics/davecutler.JPG

    Can you confirm, I'm on dialup, can't bother to download or stream video and
    I also can't bother with Real Player right now.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 29, 2005
  12. John Barnes

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    I used Windows Media Player to view it.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Jun 29, 2005
  13. So that link to that picture I posted, is it Dave Cutler?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 29, 2005
  14. John Barnes

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    Yes.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Jun 29, 2005
  15. Thank you.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 30, 2005
  16. > This is definitely good for them and bad for Intel no matter
    > the outcome. Its the david and goliath media blitz.

    I don't know. Until this lawsuit was announced, I was split over getting an
    AMD X2 or a P4 Extreme Edition (I've always been an Intel fanboy but it
    looks like the X2 is gonna give Intel a real run for its money). Now I know
    I'm not gonna spend a grand on an AMD chip only to have it go their lawyers.

    Filing frivolous lawsuits is one way to turn me away from a company. If you
    believe otherwise, then that's your right.

    Homer J. Simpson, Jun 30, 2005
  17. Homer J. Simpson wrote:

    >>This is definitely good for them and bad for Intel no matter
    >>the outcome. Its the david and goliath media blitz.

    >I don't know. Until this lawsuit was announced, I was split over getting
    >an AMD X2 or a P4 Extreme Edition (I've always been an Intel fanboy but it
    >looks like the X2 is gonna give Intel a real run for its money). Now I
    >know I'm not gonna spend a grand on an AMD chip only to have it go their
    >lawyers.
    >
    >Filing frivolous lawsuits is one way to turn me away from a company. If
    >you believe otherwise, then that's your right.

    How's this for frivolous?

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/30/intel_inside_nastygram/

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Jun 30, 2005
  18. John Barnes

    Intel_Fan Guest

    And I thought this sort of behavior was limited to pharmaceuticals. I hope
    the claims turn out to be unfounded but it makes good reading.

    Press Release
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~99713,00.html
    Full Complaint
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/AMD-Intel_Full_Complaint.pdf

    Intel_Fan, Jun 30, 2005
  19. Lets hope we see a merger between AMD and Intel. ;-) AMD handles 64 bit on
    the desktop and Small Business, Mid-Market and Intel handles 64 bit on the
    high-end Enterprise Server.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 30, 2005
  20. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Hardly. Where there is an unoccupied lawyer, there will be fraudulent cases
    of finger parts in you name it, and you made me fat suits all over the
    place.

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005