Has the genius who came up with ditching Xtra's usenet server thought it through?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matthew Poole, May 1, 2006.

  1. Let's say that their "hundreds" of users is 500. At the minimum those 500
    users will be paying $17/month, which is $8500/month. However, because
    quite a few of those users will be on "broadband" *cough*, we'll call it
    $35/month ($5-rounded difference between dialup and the 5GB DSL plan), so
    now it's $17,500.
    Let's say that five of those users are in Wellington, and take all their
    residential fixed-line business to TCL. That's a home phone ($35/month)
    and a 'net connection ($35/month), so Telecom are down $350/month. Another
    five move ALL their residential communications away from Telecom,
    including mobile, which is $70 plus $50 for the cellphone (average monthly
    spend), so now it's $950. A further 50 users move to other ISP's, which is
    a further $1500/month, so now it's up to $2700/month in lost revenue.
    Further to this 10 more users move their residential 'net and mobile
    connections to the competition, which is another $850/month, and now we're
    up to $3550. Not a bad dent in that $17,500 starting figure.

    However, that's not the best bit. A lot of the people who use Usenet are
    "go to" people, either to friends and family or as a profession. Those
    people make recommendations about good ISP's, and for those people Xtra is
    unlikely to be considered as a supplier in the future. So if each of those
    500 people recommends to two other people (to account for the fact that
    some have more sway than others) that Xtra isn't worthy of their business,
    that's $35,000/month in moved or rejected business.

    Obviously these numbers are very hypothetical, but they're also not based
    on wild guesses, especially the immediate-impact of fucked-off users who
    move. I'm pushing my flatmates to move to Ihug, and this is another nail
    to hammer into the coffin.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, May 1, 2006

  2. Matthew Poole

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > Let's say that their "hundreds" of users is 500. At the minimum those 500
    > users will be paying $17/month, which is $8500/month. However, because
    > quite a few of those users will be on "broadband" *cough*, we'll call it
    > $35/month ($5-rounded difference between dialup and the 5GB DSL plan), so
    > now it's $17,500.
    > Let's say that five of those users are in Wellington, and take all their
    > residential fixed-line business to TCL. That's a home phone ($35/month)
    > and a 'net connection ($35/month), so Telecom are down $350/month. Another
    > five move ALL their residential communications away from Telecom,
    > including mobile, which is $70 plus $50 for the cellphone (average monthly
    > spend), so now it's $950. A further 50 users move to other ISP's, which is
    > a further $1500/month, so now it's up to $2700/month in lost revenue.
    > Further to this 10 more users move their residential 'net and mobile
    > connections to the competition, which is another $850/month, and now we're
    > up to $3550. Not a bad dent in that $17,500 starting figure.
    >
    > However, that's not the best bit. A lot of the people who use Usenet are
    > "go to" people, either to friends and family or as a profession. Those
    > people make recommendations about good ISP's, and for those people Xtra is
    > unlikely to be considered as a supplier in the future. So if each of those
    > 500 people recommends to two other people (to account for the fact that
    > some have more sway than others) that Xtra isn't worthy of their business,
    > that's $35,000/month in moved or rejected business.
    >
    > Obviously these numbers are very hypothetical, but they're also not based
    > on wild guesses, especially the immediate-impact of fucked-off users who
    > move. I'm pushing my flatmates to move to Ihug, and this is another nail
    > to hammer into the coffin.
    >
    > --
    > Matthew Poole

    There will definitely be a flow on effect from it all right. Not only will
    they lose a few Xtra users but they'll lose a few Telecom customers as well.
    Then there's the cost of the bad publicity as word gets round that Xtra has
    shitted on loyal customers. Any publicity over it might make some people
    realise that there's a service that Telecom / Xtra has carefully kept secret
    from them for years - some of those poor suckers might be real pleased with
    the way that Xtra has kept them in the dark over the usenet service.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, May 1, 2006

  3. Re: Has the genius who came up with ditching Xtra's usenet serverthought it through?

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > Let's say that their "hundreds" of users is 500. At the minimum those 500
    > users will be paying $17/month, which is $8500/month. However, because
    > quite a few of those users will be on "broadband" *cough*, we'll call it
    > $35/month ($5-rounded difference between dialup and the 5GB DSL plan), so
    > now it's $17,500.

    I haven't checked your figures, but assuming most of those people are
    primarily interested in text-only groups, then Xtra have effectively
    wasted $17,500 per month for a saving of a mere 100GB, and a tiny amount
    on labour. 100GB divided by 500 users is only 200MB per day, per user.
    Or, in comparison to the amount of excess bandwidth an ISP must have to
    handle peak time, an incredibly insignificant amount.

    Orcon failed to see it, Xtra is too. People who use NNTP services bring
    in customers because they are more likely to be the people who are asked
    for advice.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, May 1, 2006
  4. Matthew Poole

    Zonky Guest

    Matthew Poole <> wrote in

    > However, that's not the best bit. A lot of the people who use Usenet
    > are "go to" people, either to friends and family or as a profession.
    > Those people make recommendations about good ISP's, and for those
    > people Xtra is unlikely to be considered as a supplier in the future

    What kind of eediot would recommend xtra (other than to his worst enemies)?

    Z.

    --
    Please remove my_pants when replying by email.

    BOYCOTT MIDAS NZ FOR PLACING ADVERTS DURING LIVE F1 on SKY SPORTS!
    http://boycottmidas.blogspot.com/
    Zonky, May 1, 2006
  5. On Mon, 01 May 2006 03:11:27 +0000, someone purporting to be Zonky didst
    scrawl:

    > Matthew Poole <> wrote in
    >
    >> However, that's not the best bit. A lot of the people who use Usenet
    >> are "go to" people, either to friends and family or as a profession.
    >> Those people make recommendations about good ISP's, and for those
    >> people Xtra is unlikely to be considered as a supplier in the future

    > What kind of eediot would recommend xtra (other than to his worst enemies)?

    You'd be surprised. For some people, Xtra's the only ISP they've ever used
    so they have nothing to compare it to (and nothing else to recommend). For
    others, the convenience of a single bill is very persuasive.

    Matthew Poole, May 1, 2006
  6. Re: Has the genius who came up with ditching Xtra's usenet serverthought it through?

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > I haven't checked your figures, but assuming most of those people are
    > primarily interested in text-only groups, then Xtra have effectively
    > wasted $17,500 per month for a saving of a mere 100GB, and a tiny amount
    > on labour. 100GB divided by 500 users is only 200MB per day, per user.

    Sorry, 200MB per MONTH, per user.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, May 1, 2006
  7. Matthew Poole

    MarkH Guest

    Matthew Poole <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 01 May 2006 03:11:27 +0000, someone purporting to be Zonky
    > didst scrawl:
    >
    >> Matthew Poole <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> However, that's not the best bit. A lot of the people who use Usenet
    >>> are "go to" people, either to friends and family or as a profession.
    >>> Those people make recommendations about good ISP's, and for those
    >>> people Xtra is unlikely to be considered as a supplier in the future

    >> What kind of eediot would recommend xtra (other than to his worst
    >> enemies)?
    >>

    > You'd be surprised. For some people, Xtra's the only ISP they've ever
    > used so they have nothing to compare it to (and nothing else to
    > recommend). For others, the convenience of a single bill is very
    > persuasive.

    I am with Orcon and get no extra bill. My Orcon bill appears on my Visa
    statement along with a bunch of other stuff. I also get rewards points out
    of it (probably under $20 per year worth of benefit, but what the hey).

    I never suggest to customers that are using Xtra that they need to change,
    but if they are unhappy then I tell them that there are plenty of other
    ISPs to choose from. For someone that asks me to recommend an ISP I would
    never name Xtra as a recommended choice.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, May 1, 2006
  8. Matthew Poole

    Guest

    >Matthew Poole wrote:

    > However, that's not the best bit. A lot of the people who use Usenet are
    > "go to" people, either to friends and family or as a profession.

    I love thinking of myself as a "go to" person. I think I'll have a big
    shiny badge made with that on it :)

    Anyway......my sister has just finished her 12 month Xtra contract. I
    told her I was changing her to Actrix. She said "Fine, whatever"...

    FWIW....For the same amount as what she currently pays Xtra she can get
    a daily 350MB cap as opposed to a monthly 1GB cap. She's just a medium
    surfer, no torrents or p2p etc but easily uses a gig in ten or so days.
    So that was the main reason to change

    Admittedly it's 256/128 as opposed to 3.5/128 but no biggy. And Actrix
    said they'll pay the churn fee if she signs up for 6 months. Fine by
    me.

    The Xtra UseNet carry-on wasn't the decider to change but definitely
    one of several factors. The arrogance, the "complimentary service" bit,
    the lack of response from the Xtra helpdesk people to a lot of annoyed
    customers...all in all a pretty pathetic showing.

    I see it as though that's how they're treating my sister.

    Anyway, I applied for her transfer from Xtra to Actrix last Friday.
    This morning (Monday) Actrix sent her a transfer date of Thursday this
    week. So hopefully by this Friday there'll be one less Xtra customer.

    >From Xtra to Actrix in seven days.

    Regards
    Miguel
    , May 1, 2006
  9. Matthew Poole

    thingy Guest

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:10:04 -0700, miguellint wrote:

    >>Matthew Poole wrote:

    >> However, that's not the best bit. A lot of the people who use Usenet are
    >> "go to" people, either to friends and family or as a profession.
    >>

    > I love thinking of myself as a "go to" person. I think I'll have a big
    > shiny badge made with that on it :)
    >
    > Anyway......my sister has just finished her 12 month Xtra contract. I
    > told her I was changing her to Actrix. She said "Fine, whatever"...
    >
    > FWIW....For the same amount as what she currently pays Xtra she can get
    > a daily 350MB cap as opposed to a monthly 1GB cap. She's just a medium
    > surfer, no torrents or p2p etc but easily uses a gig in ten or so days.
    > So that was the main reason to change
    >
    > Admittedly it's 256/128 as opposed to 3.5/128 but no biggy. And Actrix
    > said they'll pay the churn fee if she signs up for 6 months. Fine by
    > me.
    >
    > The Xtra UseNet carry-on wasn't the decider to change but definitely
    > one of several factors. The arrogance, the "complimentary service" bit,
    > the lack of response from the Xtra helpdesk people to a lot of annoyed
    > customers...all in all a pretty pathetic showing.
    >
    > I see it as though that's how they're treating my sister.
    >
    > Anyway, I applied for her transfer from Xtra to Actrix last Friday.
    > This morning (Monday) Actrix sent her a transfer date of Thursday this
    > week. So hopefully by this Friday there'll be one less Xtra customer.
    >
    >>From Xtra to Actrix in seven days.

    > Regards
    > Miguel

    Did you tell them why....?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, May 1, 2006
  10. Matthew Poole

    thingy Guest

    $17k would buy a good base server....something like a Dell 2900....

    Load it with 8 x 300gig 15000rpm disks...so 2 terrabyte of raid 5 storage,
    12 gig of ram, maybe 30k with a 5 year 2hr 24/7 warrantee.....

    A few hours to rack it and set it up....peanuts....maybe 1 hour every 3
    months to patch it.....peanuts.....

    On the face of it I suspect of that 500 you might get 50~100 moving, say
    100, so $3k the payback is still less than a year....

    They just have to be nuts.....

    here's hoping 100+ move....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, May 1, 2006
  11. Matthew Poole

    Zonter Guest

    Hi, I'm Alessandro Saitta, a 37 y.o. italian man. I live in Follonica
    (Grosseto) Italy - Cassarello street, 131. I'm the most famous
    italian spammer in the world. If you uderstand italian language, come
    to visit my site at:
    http://tinyurl.com/q7uh2

    Don't miss the amazing opportunity to meet the italian 'cantautore alla
    bona' at: www.lellovitello.it

    Hurry up! so come on! Don't you know the italian 'Cantore della Merda'?
    Don't waste your time and come to: www.joenatta.com !

    Express your opinions about everything! No restrictions! Multi
    language site at: www.what-about.it !
    Zonter, May 1, 2006
  12. Matthew Poole

    Guest

    >thingy wrote:

    > Did you tell them why....?

    I will once the change over is completed. I wouldn't put it past
    Telecom/Xtra to mess us around out of spite. (Conspiracy, conspiracy,
    they're out to get me)

    Regards
    Miguel
    , May 1, 2006
  13. On Mon, 01 May 2006 18:51:45 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > here's hoping 100+ move....

    I have moved from Xtra. :eek:)

    Now on Clear. (yeah yeah - but I have my reasons)

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 1, 2006
  14. Matthew Poole

    EMB Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > Let's say that their "hundreds" of users is 500. At the minimum those 500
    > users will be paying $17/month, which is $8500/month. However, because
    > quite a few of those users will be on "broadband" *cough*, we'll call it
    > $35/month ($5-rounded difference between dialup and the 5GB DSL plan), so
    > now it's $17,500.
    > Let's say that five of those users are in Wellington, and take all their
    > residential fixed-line business to TCL. That's a home phone ($35/month)
    > and a 'net connection ($35/month), so Telecom are down $350/month. Another
    > five move ALL their residential communications away from Telecom,
    > including mobile, which is $70 plus $50 for the cellphone (average monthly
    > spend), so now it's $950. A further 50 users move to other ISP's, which is
    > a further $1500/month, so now it's up to $2700/month in lost revenue.
    > Further to this 10 more users move their residential 'net and mobile
    > connections to the competition, which is another $850/month, and now we're
    > up to $3550. Not a bad dent in that $17,500 starting figure.
    >
    > However, that's not the best bit. A lot of the people who use Usenet are
    > "go to" people, either to friends and family or as a profession. Those
    > people make recommendations about good ISP's, and for those people Xtra is
    > unlikely to be considered as a supplier in the future. So if each of those
    > 500 people recommends to two other people (to account for the fact that
    > some have more sway than others) that Xtra isn't worthy of their business,
    > that's $35,000/month in moved or rejected business.
    >
    > Obviously these numbers are very hypothetical, but they're also not based
    > on wild guesses, especially the immediate-impact of fucked-off users who
    > move. I'm pushing my flatmates to move to Ihug, and this is another nail
    > to hammer into the coffin.

    They've just lost 2 of my clients, lock, stock and 2 smoking barrels -
    about $300 of ADSL per month, $6000 of tolls spend, $1600 of line rental
    and $3000 of cellphone charges between them. Not because my clients
    were interested in usenet (they wouldn't know what it is), but because I
    suggested that they would be better off elsewhere.

    The ADSL is going elsewhere, the lines and tolls are going to Telstra
    and the mobiles are off to Vodafone.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, May 1, 2006
  15. Matthew Poole

    Dai Kiwi Guest

    wrote:

    >Matthew Poole wrote:
    >> Let's say that their "hundreds" of users is 500. At the minimum those 500
    >> users will be paying $17/month, which is $8500/month. However, because
    >> quite a few of those users will be on "broadband" *cough*, we'll call it
    >> $35/month ($5-rounded difference between dialup and the 5GB DSL plan), so
    >> now it's $17,500.

    >I haven't checked your figures, but assuming most of those people are
    >primarily interested in text-only groups, then Xtra have effectively
    >wasted $17,500 per month for a saving of a mere 100GB, and a tiny amount
    >on labour. 100GB divided by 500 users is only 200MB per day, per user.
    >Or, in comparison to the amount of excess bandwidth an ISP must have to
    >handle peak time, an incredibly insignificant amount.
    >
    >Orcon failed to see it, Xtra is too. People who use NNTP services bring
    >in customers because they are more likely to be the people who are asked
    >for advice.
    >
    >The Other Guy

    Question is, what is the likely cost that Xtra reckon they're saving?
    Lets think about this.

    Daily traffic across usenet is supposed to be in the 4TB range, and on
    the order of 99% of this is supposedly binaries. So excluding the
    alt.binaries* & alt.warez* heirarchies should leave a newsfeed of
    about 40GB/day required, with an average sustained feed of ~4Mbits/sec
    & a peak capacity probably 3-4x that.

    What is an upstream wholesale provider going to charge for that?
    Alternitively if Xtra sources it themselves, what is the cost of that
    data going to be to bring into NZ, at wholesale rates?

    Assuming a quarter of this is spam & therefore stripped by filters
    that leaves storage requirements of ~30GB/day. Keeping a month's
    storage is therefore on the order of 1,000GB, which in a raid array
    could I suppose be held on 10x 200GB disk drives. Double that to keep
    a backup.

    Staff cost shouldn't need to be more than a couple of FTEs spread
    among a number of existing staff (i.e. as well as being an XYZ you are
    also a part-time news-admin)

    That leaves the cost of whatever newsserver to end-user
    connections/bandwidth to be figured.

    Given Xtra's customer base I cannot believe that this is a significant
    cost to Xtra or a significant drain on their bandwidth, hardware,
    storage or staffing requirements. But, can anyone start putting some
    numbers on this for a BoTE calculation?

    Dai Kiwi
    --
    Remove .NZ from address to reply
    Dai Kiwi, May 1, 2006
  16. On Mon, 01 May 2006 22:41:50 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > They've just lost 2 of my clients, lock, stock and 2 smoking barrels -
    > about $300 of ADSL per month, $6000 of tolls spend, $1600 of line rental
    > and $3000 of cellphone charges between them. Not because my clients
    > were interested in usenet (they wouldn't know what it is), but because I
    > suggested that they would be better off elsewhere.
    >
    > The ADSL is going elsewhere, the lines and tolls are going to Telstra
    > and the mobiles are off to Vodafone.

    Nice!

    Xtra's decision to can it's nntp server is adversely affecting it's bottom
    line. :eek:)

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 1, 2006
  17. Matthew Poole

    Matty F Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Mon, 01 May 2006 22:41:50 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >

    >>They've just lost 2 of my clients, lock, stock and 2 smoking barrels -
    >>about $300 of ADSL per month, $6000 of tolls spend, $1600 of line rental
    >>and $3000 of cellphone charges between them. Not because my clients
    >>were interested in usenet (they wouldn't know what it is), but because I
    >>suggested that they would be better off elsewhere.
    >>
    >>The ADSL is going elsewhere, the lines and tolls are going to Telstra
    >>and the mobiles are off to Vodafone.

    > Nice!
    >
    > Xtra's decision to can it's nntp server is adversely affecting it's bottom
    > line. :eek:)

    If lots of customers leave they'll have to cut some other
    services. Are telephone books complimentary?
    Or they could charge for all phone book entries. Then they'd make
    lots of money, or the phone book would be much thinner.
    Either way they win.
    Matty F, May 1, 2006
  18. Matthew Poole

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Dai Kiwi <> wrote:

    > Daily traffic across usenet is supposed to be in the 4TB range, and on
    > the order of 99% of this is supposedly binaries. So excluding the
    > alt.binaries* & alt.warez* heirarchies should leave a newsfeed of
    > about 40GB/day required, with an average sustained feed of ~4Mbits/sec
    > & a peak capacity probably 3-4x that.

    I'd suggest that the non-binary newsgroups are a tiny fraction of that.

    But it doesn't matter.

    If the customers stay with xtra and get their newsfeed from elsewhere
    (whether pay or not) then every time a customer reads a news article
    that another customer has already read, xtra will be moving that traffic
    across their international links. The customer will be paying xtra
    exactly the same as now, but xtra's costs will *increase*. Running a
    news server decreases xtra's costs because it acts as a local cache,
    just as they no doubt run a cache for http traffic.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, May 1, 2006
  19. Matthew Poole

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Dai Kiwi <> wrote:

    >Assuming a quarter of this is spam & therefore stripped by filters
    >that leaves storage requirements of ~30GB/day. Keeping a month's
    >storage is therefore on the order of 1,000GB, which in a raid array
    >could I suppose be held on 10x 200GB disk drives. Double that to keep
    >a backup.

    Spam stripping is usually too processor intensive. You can't filter on
    origin, and headers are too easily spoofed. You need to filter on content.

    News servers are not normally backed up. (Well, the OS is but not the news
    spool.) If a disk dies the system is restarted with a clean spool and it
    fills up from the upstream server.

    You do have to wonder why non-binaries news servers aren't more common.
    It would seem to make more sense from an economic point of view.
    Might it be that the binaries groups constitute the majority of download
    traffic to the ISP's users?

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, May 1, 2006
  20. Re: Has the genius who came up with ditching Xtra's usenet serverthought it through?

    Dai Kiwi wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 May 2006 15:09:43 +1200, The Other Guy <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Matthew Poole wrote:
    >>> Let's say that their "hundreds" of users is 500. At the minimum those 500
    >>> users will be paying $17/month, which is $8500/month. However, because
    >>> quite a few of those users will be on "broadband" *cough*, we'll call it
    >>> $35/month ($5-rounded difference between dialup and the 5GB DSL plan), so
    >>> now it's $17,500.

    >> I haven't checked your figures, but assuming most of those people are
    >> primarily interested in text-only groups, then Xtra have effectively
    >> wasted $17,500 per month for a saving of a mere 100GB, and a tiny amount
    >> on labour. 100GB divided by 500 users is only 200MB per day, per user.
    >> Or, in comparison to the amount of excess bandwidth an ISP must have to
    >> handle peak time, an incredibly insignificant amount.
    >>
    >> Orcon failed to see it, Xtra is too. People who use NNTP services bring
    >> in customers because they are more likely to be the people who are asked
    >> for advice.
    >>
    >> The Other Guy

    > Question is, what is the likely cost that Xtra reckon they're saving?
    > Lets think about this.
    >
    > Daily traffic across usenet is supposed to be in the 4TB range, and on
    > the order of 99% of this is supposedly binaries. So excluding the
    > alt.binaries* & alt.warez* heirarchies should leave a newsfeed of
    > about 40GB/day required, with an average sustained feed of ~4Mbits/sec
    > & a peak capacity probably 3-4x that.

    Incorrect. A full news feed is nowhere near 4TB per day. Large servers
    DO throughput this amount if they are feeding other servers. The largest
    spool I recall dealing with on a clients news server was in the region
    of 6TB, enough for multiple days retention.

    A text-only news feed, once binaries are removed, accounts for only a
    few GB per day, well under the 40GB you suggest.

    > What is an upstream wholesale provider going to charge for that?
    > Alternitively if Xtra sources it themselves, what is the cost of that
    > data going to be to bring into NZ, at wholesale rates?

    Upstream providers usually provide IHAVE feeds at a fixed rate, or even
    free if you co-located in the same facility.

    ISPs have dedicated bandwidth, so there is no per-MB charges associated
    with it. At off-peak times in particular, there is a lot of waste.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, May 1, 2006