has server name changed?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Oct 10, 2008.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I'm getting the message "the host sendxtra.co.nz cannot be found" when I try
    to send an email. I sent a test message to myself and got the same message.

    I've had a look at tools - accounts -properties -servers and find the
    default server is now sendxtra.co.nz. Outgoing mail (SMTP): sendxtra.co.nz

    I haven't changed it. I think it was pop3 xtra before or something.

    What is going on? Can I just delete "send" from the name of the server and
    leave it just as xtra.co.nz?

    It looks as though Yahoo has taken over.
    tools -accounts - Internet accounts shows Yahoo!Xtra - phil... mail
    (default). Can I delete that and type in xtra.co.nz (default) or something?

    I've tried to send a test message to myself at and get
    the same message that the host sendxtra.co.nz cannot be found.

    I've just sent myself a test message to nz.test through motzarella. That got
    through.

    I've tried to get Yahoo, but keep getting the message "You are not connected
    to the internet" I AM connected to the internet!

    I want to make xtra.co.nz the default as it always was. Or should it be POP
    3?

    Any ideas please?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 10, 2008

  2. In message <gcncvo$h20$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > I'm getting the message "the host sendxtra.co.nz cannot be found" when I
    > try to send an email.

    Missing a dot--I think that needs to be "send.xtra.co.nz".

    Has your computer man been stuffing around again?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2008

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <gcncvo$h20$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> I'm getting the message "the host sendxtra.co.nz cannot be found" when I
    >> try to send an email.

    > Missing a dot--I think that needs to be "send.xtra.co.nz".
    >
    > Has your computer man been stuffing around again?

    No, he would have no reason to change me to Yahoo.
    I can't see a dot there, but it's hard to see. I could try both.

    I just sent myself a test message. Error showed at lower right, and the
    account in the Outbox showed as Yahoo!Xtra - phildoran.

    I need to get back to xtra as the default. How do I do that please?

    I've tried to get Yahoo but keep getting the message that I am not connected
    to the internet. I am!
    Geopelia, Oct 10, 2008
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:

    >>> Missing a dot--I think that needs to be "send.xtra.co.nz".
    >>>
    >>> Has your computer man been stuffing around again?

    >> No, he would have no reason to change me to Yahoo.
    >> I can't see a dot there, but it's hard to see. I could try both.
    >>
    >> I just sent myself a test message. Error showed at lower right, and the
    >> account in the Outbox showed as Yahoo!Xtra - phildoran.
    >>
    >> I need to get back to xtra as the default. How do I do that please?
    >>
    >> I've tried to get Yahoo but keep getting the message that I am not
    >> connected to the internet. I am!

    > "send" looks legit...
    >
    > this should work for you,
    >
    > so change your send to = smtp.xtra.co.nz

    Do you mean in POP3 Properties - servers.
    Outgoing mail (SMTP) box?

    I've got pop3xtra.co.nz in there now. Should I change it to smtp.xtra.co.nz
    please?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 11, 2008
  5. In message <gcooad$i4v$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > I've got pop3xtra.co.nz in there now.

    Another missing dot. Has someone been stealing your dots?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2008
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <gcooad$i4v$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> I've got pop3xtra.co.nz in there now.

    > Another missing dot. Has someone been stealing your dots?

    I've recently changed to a flat screen and find it hard to see the dots.
    Sometimes I can guess that one ought to be there.
    These flat screens are good, but not as clear as the old monitors. / is
    hard to see, too.\
    Geopelia, Oct 11, 2008
  7. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    We had a power cut and this may be posted twice.

    "PeeCee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message

    >>> "send" looks legit...
    >>>
    >>> this should work for you,
    >>>
    >>> so change your send to = smtp.xtra.co.nz
    >>>

    >> Do you mean in POP3 Properties - servers.
    >> Outgoing mail (SMTP) box?
    >>
    >> I've got pop3xtra.co.nz in there now. Should I change it to
    >> smtp.xtra.co.nz please?
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > Geopelia
    >
    > Did you read my post below and follow the link to the settings for OE?

    I don't understand settings. Is there anything in the Help menus that
    explains exactly what to do please?

    > On the Servers tab of your email accounts properties the first box
    > (Incoming mail (POP3)) should be set to 'pop3.xtra.co.nz' and nothing
    > else.
    > The second box (Outgoing mail (SMTP)) can be one of two, either
    > 'smtp.xtra.co.nz' or 'send.xtra.co.nz'
    >
    > 'send.xtra.co.nz' is the new Yahoo mail server and requires authentication
    > to connect.
    > 'smtp.xtra.co.nz' is the old Xtra mail server, it still works but doesn't
    > use authentication.

    What is authentication? My xtra password

    > I refer you to the Telecom settings page for the detail as the two are set
    > quite differently.
    >
    > If your email stopped after your computer man came then may I suggest he
    > needs to come back and fix it.

    No, it happened after I looked up something on Yahoo. I must have done
    something stupid.
    I can get him back if necessary to put things right.

    Geopelia, Oct 11, 2008
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    (This reply has been hanging around in Drafts unable to go, sorry if it gets
    posted twice. I think the problem is solved now and it will get through.)

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:

    >>> Missing a dot--I think that needs to be "send.xtra.co.nz".
    >>>
    >>> Has your computer man been stuffing around again?

    >> No, he would have no reason to change me to Yahoo.
    >> I can't see a dot there, but it's hard to see. I could try both.
    >>
    >> I just sent myself a test message. Error showed at lower right, and the
    >> account in the Outbox showed as Yahoo!Xtra - phildoran.
    >>
    >> I need to get back to xtra as the default. How do I do that please?
    >>
    >> I've tried to get Yahoo but keep getting the message that I am not
    >> connected to the internet. I am!

    > "send" looks legit...
    >
    > this should work for you,
    >
    > so change your send to = smtp.xtra.co.nz
    >

    > did some tests...
    >
    > thing@hermes:~$ host send.xtra.co.nz
    > send.xtra.co.nz is an alias for send.tnz.yahoo.com.
    > send.tnz.yahoo.com is an alias for smtp1.tnz.mail.vip.aue.yahoo.com.
    > smtp1.tnz.mail.vip.aue.yahoo.com has address 124.108.96.68
    > smtp1.tnz.mail.vip.aue.yahoo.com mail is handled by 0 .
    > thing@hermes:~$
    >
    > thing@hermes:~$ telnet send.xtra.co.nz 25
    > Trying 124.108.96.68...
    > Connected to smtp1.tnz.mail.vip.aue.yahoo.com.
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    > 220 smtp103.tnz.mail.aue.yahoo.com ESMTP
    > helo hermes
    > 250 smtp103.tnz.mail.aue.yahoo.com
    > quit
    > 221 smtp103.tnz.mail.aue.yahoo.com
    > Connection closed by foreign host.
    > thing@hermes:~$
    >
    > looks fine....
    >
    > thing@hermes:~$ host smtp.xtra.co.nz
    > smtp.xtra.co.nz has address 210.54.141.2
    >
    > I am not with extra so I cant check it myself
    >
    > It looks like its working,
    >
    > thing@hermes:~$ telnet smtp.xtra.co.nz 25
    > Trying 210.54.141.2...
    > Connected to smtp.xtra.co.nz.
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    > 220 mta02.xtra.co.nz ESMTP server ready Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:30:06 +1300
    > helo hermes
    > 250 mta02.xtra.co.nz
    > quit
    > 221 mta02.xtra.co.nz ESMTP server closing connection
    > Connection closed by foreign host.
    > thing@hermes:~$

    Thank you. Unfortunately I don't understand much of that. I've just changed
    the default back to Yahoo!Xtra-phildoran and a test message to myself has
    been sent and appears in the sent items and Inbox.

    So I suppose I'd better leave it as the default.

    The computer man will know what your technical message means, I'll save your
    message for him.
    Geopelia, Oct 11, 2008
  9. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > I've recently changed to a flat screen and find it hard to see the dots.
    > Sometimes I can guess that one ought to be there.
    > These flat screens are good, but not as clear as the old monitors. / is
    > hard to see, too.\

    Flat screens are fuzzy unless they are run at their native resolution
    (ie the way they were designed to be run). What model is your flat
    screen and what resolution is it running at?
    EMB, Oct 11, 2008
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:48f1074e$...
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> I've recently changed to a flat screen and find it hard to see the dots.
    >> Sometimes I can guess that one ought to be there.
    >> These flat screens are good, but not as clear as the old monitors. / is
    >> hard to see, too.\

    > Flat screens are fuzzy unless they are run at their native resolution (ie
    > the way they were designed to be run). What model is your flat screen and
    > what resolution is it running at?

    it's Philips ID 190B8CB/75

    I wouldn't know what resolution it is, but the computer man set it up and
    it's clear enough,
    except for finding small dots. The dot and the comma look alike sometimes,
    too.
    I can see all the individual spots on the screen. (Pixels?)

    When he comes out again I'll ask him to have a look at it.

    How do I find the resolution if I need it, please?

    Should there be anything to increase the type size on newsgroups? There is
    for internet pages, low down on the right.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 11, 2008
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

> [...]
    >>> thing@hermes:~$
    >>>
    >>> thing@hermes:~$ telnet send.xtra.co.nz 25
    >>> Trying 124.108.96.68...
    >>> Connected to smtp1.tnz.mail.vip.aue.yahoo.com.
    >>> Escape character is '^]'.
    >>> 220 smtp103.tnz.mail.aue.yahoo.com ESMTP
    >>> helo hermes
    >>> 250 smtp103.tnz.mail.aue.yahoo.com
    >>> quit
    >>> 221 smtp103.tnz.mail.aue.yahoo.com
    >>> Connection closed by foreign host.
    >>> thing@hermes:~$
    >>>
    >>> looks fine....
    >>>
    >>> thing@hermes:~$ host smtp.xtra.co.nz
    >>> smtp.xtra.co.nz has address 210.54.141.2
    >>>
    >>> I am not with extra so I cant check it myself
    >>>
    >>> It looks like its working,
    >>>
    >>> thing@hermes:~$ telnet smtp.xtra.co.nz 25
    >>> Trying 210.54.141.2...
    >>> Connected to smtp.xtra.co.nz.
    >>> Escape character is '^]'.
    >>> 220 mta02.xtra.co.nz ESMTP server ready Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:30:06 +1300
    >>> helo hermes
    >>> 250 mta02.xtra.co.nz
    >>> quit
    >>> 221 mta02.xtra.co.nz ESMTP server closing connection
    >>> Connection closed by foreign host.
    >>> thing@hermes:~$
    >>>

    >> Thank you. Unfortunately I don't understand much of that. I've just
    >> changed
    >> the default back to Yahoo!Xtra-phildoran and a test message to myself
    >> has
    >> been sent and appears in the sent items and Inbox.
    >>
    >> So I suppose I'd better leave it as the default.
    >>
    >> The computer man will know what your technical message means, I'll save
    >> your
    >> message for him.

    > Better hope that your computer man knows the big difference between Yahoo
    > Xtra webmail and Xtra Pop3 Outlook Express Xtra email settings.
    >
    > This link is to the XTRA Outlook Express email 2008 settings.
    > Just make sure that your settings match the settings in each step that is
    > shown. Just take a step at a time - by not making any changes while
    > checking the settings you won't make anything worse than it already is.
    > Make sure the that right options are ticked and unticked as shown in the
    > settings.
    >
    > http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,5739-7780440,00.html
    >
    > This help section uses screenshots that should match up with your settings
    > apart from your user name / password / and email name.
    >
    > I hope your computer man isn't a relation of Roger's.
    > These buggers can charge plenty for the few simple changes that might be
    > needed.
    >
    > Note that the alternate Xtra Outlokk Express email settings was what your
    > original Xtra email settings would've been and should still work according
    > to the link, except that your origanal settings have been buggered round
    > with by the sounds of it.
    >
    > Read the link carefully, you'll probably recognise what some of the
    > settings by now. Then compare the screenshots of the settings to the
    > settings that's on your Outlook Express accounts settings under "Mail".

    Thank you. That looks very complicated, but I'll have a look at it.

    The computer man I have now is very good and his charges are very reasonable
    for a home visit.
    That other lot seem to have disappeared and the shop has gone.
    If my setting have been "buggered round with" it would be them who did it,
    or me pressing the wrong buttons.

    Where do I find my settings? Will they be on that website?

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 11, 2008
  12. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Geopelia" typed:
    >> "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Flat screens are fuzzy unless they are run at their native
    >>> resolution (ie the way they were designed to be run). What model is
    >>> your flat screen and what resolution is it running at?

    >> it's Philips ID 190B8CB/75
    >>
    >> I wouldn't know what resolution it is, but the computer man set it up
    >> and it's clear enough,
    >> except for finding small dots. The dot and the comma look alike
    >> sometimes, too.
    >> I can see all the individual spots on the screen. (Pixels?)
    >>
    >> When he comes out again I'll ask him to have a look at it.
    >>
    >> How do I find the resolution if I need it, please?
    >>
    >> Should there be anything to increase the type size on newsgroups?
    >> There is for internet pages, low down on the right.

    > Hi Little Dove,
    >
    > In Outhouse Express click on 'View' at the top and there should be an
    > entry called 'Text Size' in the drop-down menu. Hover your cursor over
    > that. You may be able to select a text size on the smaller list that
    > appears. (However, on my system they're all greyed out except 'Fixed'
    > which doesn't work! I hope yours works better.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Thank you, that worked. "Larger" is much better. I'll check those websites
    for dots when I need to.

    I don't know if it is only for reading, or if this will get to you in the
    larger size. Sorry if that's annoying.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 12, 2008
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    Thank you, I've printed your message out and will try the settings.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 12, 2008
  14. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    (snipped down to here).

    >>> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,5739-7780440,00.html
    >>>
    >>> This help section uses screenshots that should match up with your
    >>> settings apart from your user name / password / and email name.
    >>>
    >>> Note that the alternate Xtra Outlokk Express email settings was what
    >>> your original Xtra email settings would've been and should still work
    >>> according to the link, except that your origanal settings have been
    >>> buggered round with by the sounds of it.
    >>>
    >>> Read the link carefully, you'll probably recognise what some of the
    >>> settings by now. Then compare the screenshots of the settings to the
    >>> settings that's on your Outlook Express accounts settings under "Mail".
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge

    (my emali her snipped)
    > Your Outlook Express email settings are found through these few steps,
    > then you'll start to see the step by step menus that match the steps on
    > the link that I gave you earlier:
    >
    > With Outlook Express open (on inbox or any other folder doesn't matter).
    > Go to *Tools* (top left side of window).
    > Under the Tools menu click on *Accounts* found near the bottom of the
    > menu.
    > Click on the *Mail* tab and your Xtra email account description should now
    > show up.
    > With your XDtra account highlighted now click on *Properties* found on the
    > menu on right.
    > Now you're at the start of the step by step settings information that
    > Outlook Express needs for your Xtra account to work properly.
    > The first tab *General* should already be open showing your account name
    > and email address.
    > At the bottom see that "include this account when receiving email etc" is
    > ticked.
    > The next step to check is everything in the *Server* tab. Make sure they
    > compare to the Xtra settings on the link that I gave you earlier. Your
    > Pop3 settings are on that menu under the Server tab.
    >
    > You might find that one of the Xtra options requires a tick in the "My
    > Server Requires Authentication" box near the bottom under the main
    > settings box.
    >
    > Once you know where your account settings are and get used to seeing what
    > they should look like, it's not as difficult as it may at first seem.
    > Making quick small changes to thesettings are what con artists expect to
    > be well paid and with a big grin try to make out that they've done
    > something real special. It's so special that many computer users already
    > know about these basic account settings for themselves. You could go out
    > and help your friends once you realise how easy it really is.
    >
    > The first few steps should match up with what you've got. Each step at a
    > time isn't as hard as it seems. It won't make things worse. The smtp
    > settings are probably what you need to change.
    > nz.test won't help much. You need to send test emails to yourself. After
    > each setting change in the sending step of settings send a test email to
    > yourself, it won't take much of a change before you start to get an email
    > from yourself and probably any other emails that are waiting on the Xtra
    > server for you.
    >
    > Hope that helps, don't be put off by checking out your email account
    > settings for yourself.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I've done most of what you advise. I've printed out that xtra Help website,
    text only, and done about half of it, as far as "In most cases the next
    option should be left on Obtain DNS server address automatically."

    From there on, everything is different.

    I don't seem to have an xtra icon anywhere to get the first screenshot.
    I've got shortcut to xtra, which is just xtra status (for connecting).
    Where do I find the icon to get that first screenshot please? It's not on
    the desktop.
    ---------------------------------
    I'm getting double emails now. Also I am having trouble deleting an email
    which can't be sent and comes up as an error message every time. How do I
    delete it please?

    Thank you.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 13, 2008
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

> [...]

    >> website, text only, and done about half of it, as far as "In most cases
    >> the next option should be left on Obtain DNS server address
    >> automatically."
    >>
    >> From there on, everything is different.
    >>
    >> I don't seem to have an xtra icon anywhere to get the first screenshot.
    >> I've got shortcut to xtra, which is just xtra status (for connecting).
    >> Where do I find the icon to get that first screenshot please? It's not on
    >> the desktop.
    >> ---------------------------------
    >> I'm getting double emails now. Also I am having trouble deleting an email
    >> which can't be sent and comes up as an error message every time. How do I
    >> delete it please?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > The Xtra Help page uses screen shots to help you get the right settings

    I've got Modem-Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem (COM 4) in Network Connections.
    Does that make any difference?
    Is that why I can only get halfway down the help page? I've found some of
    the rest but not through xtra Help.

    I've found the Primary and Secondary DNS numbers and they are right.

    > You don't have to go off line to check your OE settings, and you don't
    > have to close down Internet Eplorer which shows you the Xtra help page
    > that I gave you once you've clicked on the link.
    >
    > There is no icon to take you to your email account properties found in
    > Outlook Expresss.
    > As in previous post, in Outlook Express click Tools at the top then go
    > down the list in Tools and click on accounts.
    >
    > Take each step at a time while looking at the help page and then your
    > Outlook Express window.
    >
    > The double emails arriving could well be a problem with Xtra's server.
    > All you can do is keep deletting them. Xtra will problem fix the prolem
    > with their serve just as they've done before.

    It's happened after a power cut. I just delete the copies.

    > The email that won't send without an error is probably in your Outbox
    > folder. Click on where it says either Inbox or nz.com if you're looking
    > at this newsgroup. From the drop down menu select Outbox to see any
    > outgoing emails that are still there.

    It's nowhere in Outbox or Drafts, or nz.com. I just want to get rid of it,
    it's a nuisance coming up all the time.

    > Are you now getting any test emails to yourself after changing any of the
    > email settings to match what's on the Xtra help page?

    I didn't need to change anything. As far as I could get, everything was
    right. All my test emails go through OK.

    > There might be someone in the groups that lives near your area that could
    > help. If I wasn't in the South Island I'd come and have a look at your
    > settings.
    >
    > The main email settings that you need to check are number 10 screenshot
    > about half way down the help page, and number 3 down near the bottom of
    > the page that shows the other smtp settings as well - the old original
    > smtp settings.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I can only see eight screenshots and none of them are numbered.

    In the last box, I have "phone number will be dialled as 1 087 303030"

    Is that right? Should 1 be there, or is that only for an outside line, which
    I don't have? We only have the one phone, which must be an outside line
    anyway. I don't have call waiting.

    It looks as if everything is all right now, apart from the double emails and
    the error message.

    Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 14, 2008
  16. Geopelia

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    >> help. If I wasn't in the South Island I'd come and have a look at your
    >> settings.
    >>
    >> The main email settings that you need to check are number 10 screenshot
    >> about half way down the help page, and number 3 down near the bottom of
    >> the page that shows the other smtp settings as well - the old original
    >> smtp settings.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > I can only see eight screenshots and none of them are numbered.
    >
    > In the last box, I have "phone number will be dialled as 1 087 303030"
    >
    > Is that right? Should 1 be there, or is that only for an outside line,
    > which I don't have? We only have the one phone, which must be an outside
    > line anyway. I don't have call waiting.
    >
    > It looks as if everything is all right now, apart from the double emails
    > and the error message.
    >
    > Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

    You're right Geo, the "1" shouldn't be there. But the 027303030 is
    correct for xtra dialup. Its hard to imagine how you're settings got so
    screwed up. I'm not sure of the smtp and pop3 settings since yahoo took
    over. Cheers Tony
    Tony in Oz, Oct 14, 2008
  17. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>(snipped a bit)
    >>> The email that won't send without an error is probably in your Outbox
    >>> folder. Click on where it says either Inbox or nz.com if you're looking
    >>> at this newsgroup. From the drop down menu select Outbox to see any
    >>> outgoing emails that are still there.

    >> It's nowhere in Outbox or Drafts, or nz.com. I just want to get rid of
    >> it, it's a nuisance coming up all the time.
    >>>
    >>> Are you now getting any test emails to yourself after changing any of
    >>> the email settings to match what's on the Xtra help page?

    >> I didn't need to change anything. As far as I could get, everything was
    >> right. All my test emails go through OK.
    >>

    >>> There might be someone in the groups that lives near your area that
    >>> could help. If I wasn't in the South Island I'd come and have a look at
    >>> your settings.
    >>>
    >>> The main email settings that you need to check are number 10 screenshot
    >>> about half way down the help page, and number 3 down near the bottom of
    >>> the page that shows the other smtp settings as well - the old original
    >>> smtp settings.
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> I can only see eight screenshots and none of them are numbered.
    >>
    >> In the last box, I have "phone number will be dialled as 1 087 303030"
    >>
    >> Is that right? Should 1 be there, or is that only for an outside line,
    >> which I don't have? We only have the one phone, which must be an outside
    >> line anyway. I don't have call waiting.

    I kept getting "the phone line is busy" when it dialled 1 087 303030 so I
    removed the 1.
    Now it works.

    >> It looks as if everything is all right now, apart from the double emails
    >> and the error message.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > If you're clinking on any links on the help page link that I gave you, you
    > could be going to other pages.
    > The help link that should open in IE only needs to be looked at to compare
    > the OE Xtra account settings in the screenshots to the settings in your
    > account properties.
    > The only phone numbers on the help page is the 0800 number for Xtra's help
    > desk.
    > You shouldn't need the 1 in your Xtra dial up 0873 phone number. All ISPs
    > were put on Telecom's 0873 network. The connection number you're using
    > must be working okay for you, so you shouldn't need to change it.
    >
    > It will be Xtra's server that's playing up sending you copies of emails
    > that you've already seen. All you can do is keep deleting them and wait
    > for Xtra to fix the problem at their end.

    It may have stopped doubling up tonight. I just got two single emails.

    > You'll find that your LCD moniter has adjustments for Brightness and
    > Contrast. Most likely an onscreen menu will appear once a button for
    > adjusting the display on the monitor has been selected. Check the booklet
    > for the monitor if the buttons on the monitor aren't very obvious -
    > possibly at the right side of the monitor. Adjusting the brightness and
    > contrast may make it a bit easier to read text etc. If you're worried
    > about making it worse looking, there will be a reset option to select that
    > puts the display back to it's standard setup.

    I don't have a booklet. The computer man adjusted it for me when he brought
    it, as my eyes are not good and I need the brightness toned down. I'll get
    the magnifying glass and take a look at the buttons. They are very small.
    I find using the larger text is better.

    > Some here may be using the same brand of LCD monitor that you've got.
    > Offering you the settings they they find to be pretty good.
    >
    > Your modem should be fine, it seems to be connecting okay
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I wonder when somebody will invent a simple computer!

    Thank you

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 14, 2008
  18. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    >>> the page that shows the other smtp settings as well - the old original
    >>> smtp settings.
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> I can only see eight screenshots and none of them are numbered.
    >>
    >> In the last box, I have "phone number will be dialled as 1 087 303030"
    >>
    >> Is that right? Should 1 be there, or is that only for an outside line,
    >> which I don't have? We only have the one phone, which must be an outside
    >> line anyway. I don't have call waiting.
    >>
    >> It looks as if everything is all right now, apart from the double emails
    >> and the error message.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > You're right Geo, the "1" shouldn't be there. But the 027303030 is
    > correct for xtra dialup. Its hard to imagine how you're settings got so
    > screwed up. I'm not sure of the smtp and pop3 settings since yahoo took

    It wouldn't work with the 1 so I removed it. It's dialling 087 303030 now
    and it works.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 14, 2008
  19. In message <gd1v3q$mj4$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > It wouldn't work with the 1 so I removed it.

    Normally if you're in a business with its own PABX, you need to dial 1 to
    get an outside line.

    I know this wouldn't apply to you at home, it's just odd that you could have
    been given such settings.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2008
  20. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >> I kept getting "the phone line is busy" when it dialled 1 087 303030 so I
    >> removed the 1.
    >> Now it works.

    >>> If you're clinking on any links on the help page link that I gave you,
    >>> you could be going to other pages.
    >>> The help link that should open in IE only needs to be looked at to
    >>> compare the OE Xtra account settings in the screenshots to the settings
    >>> in your account properties.
    >>> The only phone numbers on the help page is the 0800 number for Xtra's
    >>> help desk.
    >>> You shouldn't need the 1 in your Xtra dial up 0873 phone number. All
    >>> ISPs were put on Telecom's 0873 network. The connection number you're
    >>> using must be working okay for you, so you shouldn't need to change it.
    >>>
    >>> It will be Xtra's server that's playing up sending you copies of emails
    >>> that you've already seen. All you can do is keep deleting them and wait
    >>> for Xtra to fix the problem at their end.

    >> It may have stopped doubling up tonight. I just got two single emails.
    >>>
    >>> You'll find that your LCD moniter has adjustments for Brightness and
    >>> Contrast. Most likely an onscreen menu will appear once a button for
    >>> adjusting the display on the monitor has been selected. Check the
    >>> booklet for the monitor if the buttons on the monitor aren't very
    >>> obvious - possibly at the right side of the monitor. Adjusting the
    >>> brightness and contrast may make it a bit easier to read text etc. If
    >>> you're worried about making it worse looking, there will be a reset
    >>> option to select that puts the display back to it's standard setup.

    >> I don't have a booklet. The computer man adjusted it for me when he
    >> brought it, as my eyes are not good and I need the brightness toned down.
    >> I'll get the magnifying glass and take a look at the buttons. They are
    >> very small.
    >> I find using the larger text is better.
    >>>
    >>> Some here may be using the same brand of LCD monitor that you've got.
    >>> Offering you the settings they they find to be pretty good.
    >>>
    >>> Your modem should be fine, it seems to be connecting okay
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> I wonder when somebody will invent a simple computer!
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > Large text is a good idea, and the resolution should be on 1024 X 768 , or
    > slight less than 768 if it's a widescreen monitor.
    > You should've been given the info and warranty that comes with new
    > hardware.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I asked if there was a booklet, but it seems there isn't one. I got a
    guarantee though.

    I'll see if I can find the resolution.
    Geopelia, Oct 14, 2008