    before the desktop comes up. But.............now the Windows 98 screen just
    stays there with the blue "thing" going across the bottom and the desktop
    doesn't come up. How do I get it to go to the desktop?

    Shirley Azvedo, Dec 23, 2004

  2. Shirley Azvedo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Shirley Azvedo" <> wrote in message
    news:csCyd.24152$...
    | Windows 98SE, IE 6, OE 6.0
    |
    | When I first turn the computer on the Windows 98 screen comes up and I see
    | the blue "thing" going along the bottom of the screen as it usually does
    | before the desktop comes up. But.............now the Windows 98 screen
    just
    | stays there with the blue "thing" going across the bottom and the desktop
    | doesn't come up. How do I get it to go to the desktop?

    Try booting into safe mode. If that works, then you can run troubleshooting
    and disk maintenance utilities (scandisk, defrag, etc.) To boot into safe
    mode, press the F8 key as the computer starts (after the memory test/drive
    recognition, etc., just before "Starting Windows..." appears on the screen.)

    Toolman Tim, Dec 23, 2004