    option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266 overclocked
    to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M. Any ideas to
    what could be causing the problem is welcome.

    Taranis, Sep 4, 2004

  2. Drivers

    Southern Kiwi, Sep 4, 2004

  3. Taranis

    steve Guest

    Taranis wrote:

    > Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
    > card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
    > chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
    > freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from the
    > control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as
    > windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is
    > a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an
    > option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266
    > overclocked to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M.
    > Any ideas to what could be causing the problem is welcome.

    IRQ or DMA conflicts?

    Maybe there is on-board sound that needs to be disabled?

    steve, Sep 4, 2004
  4. Taranis

    Taranis Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Taranis wrote:
    >
    >> Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
    >> card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
    >> chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
    >> freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from
    >> the control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is
    >> weird as windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux
    >> is. This is a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it
    >> really isn't an option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have
    >> a 266 overclocked to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to
    >> 256M. Any ideas to what could be causing the problem is welcome.

    > IRQ or DMA conflicts?
    >
    > Maybe there is on-board sound that needs to be disabled?

    Nothing in the bios, looked hard believe me..

    Windows happily recognises the onboard as an ess *** and the isa as a
    soundblaster. Maybe I need a mb driver disk...In that case it being an old
    computer I will go for the swap option, don't ya just love the way
    computers behave sometimes.

    Taranis, Sep 4, 2004
  5. Taranis

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 18:40:32 +1200, Taranis <> wrote:

    >steve wrote:
    >
    >> Taranis wrote:
    >>
    >>> Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
    >>> card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
    >>> chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
    >>> freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from
    >>> the control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is
    >>> weird as windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux
    >>> is. This is a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it
    >>> really isn't an option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have
    >>> a 266 overclocked to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to
    >>> 256M. Any ideas to what could be causing the problem is welcome.

    >> IRQ or DMA conflicts?
    >>
    >> Maybe there is on-board sound that needs to be disabled?

    >Nothing in the bios, looked hard believe me..
    >
    >Windows happily recognises the onboard as an ess *** and the isa as a
    >soundblaster. Maybe I need a mb driver disk...In that case it being an old
    >computer I will go for the swap option, don't ya just love the way
    >computers behave sometimes.

    I couldn't get a SB PCI64 to work with a new Asus A7N8X (from memory)
    mainboard, which is not that old. Windows froze when the drivers were installed
    for the card. I tried moving it through the PCI slots etc. In the end I gave
    up. With the new Shuttle I have, I thought i'd give it a try in that. Worked
    immediatly.

    Your problem will be the drivers for the card, but as to a fix there probably is
    no easy one.

    Craig Shore, Sep 4, 2004
  6. Taranis

    Taranis Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    >>Windows happily recognises the onboard as an ess *** and the isa as a
    >>soundblaster. Maybe I need a mb driver disk...In that case it being an old
    >>computer I will go for the swap option, don't ya just love the way
    >>computers behave sometimes.

    > I couldn't get a SB PCI64 to work with a new Asus A7N8X (from memory)
    > mainboard, which is not that old. Windows froze when the drivers were
    > installed
    > for the card. I tried moving it through the PCI slots etc. In the end I
    > gave
    > up. With the new Shuttle I have, I thought i'd give it a try in that.
    > Worked immediatly.
    >
    > Your problem will be the drivers for the card, but as to a fix there
    > probably is no easy one.

    Nope as the onboard soundcard freezes as well, which is why I tried the
    other one. It's a pcdirect 686, they are not that picky.

    Taranis, Sep 4, 2004
  7. Taranis

    cowboyz Guest

    Taranis wrote:
    > Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m
    > video card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped
    > working, I chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled
    > windows no luck kept freezing whenever a sound was needed even to
    > accessing the sounds from the control panel. Ok last resort try
    > redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as windows is usually a lot
    > more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is a gameplaying
    > friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an option so
    > I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266 overclocked to
    > 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M. Any ideas
    > to what could be causing the problem is welcome.

    No idea what up with that but I found myself wondering..

    What does your gameplaying friend play on a P200 / 64meg ram and a 2 meg
    video card?

    cowboyz, Sep 4, 2004
  8. Taranis

    Taranis Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > Taranis wrote:
    >> Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m
    >> video card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped
    >> working, I chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled
    >> windows no luck kept freezing whenever a sound was needed even to
    >> accessing the sounds from the control panel. Ok last resort try
    >> redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as windows is usually a lot
    >> more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is a gameplaying
    >> friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an option so
    >> I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266 overclocked to
    >> 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M. Any ideas
    >> to what could be causing the problem is welcome.

    > No idea what up with that but I found myself wondering..
    >
    > What does your gameplaying friend play on a P200 / 64meg ram and a 2 meg
    > video card?

    The sims, red alert,,,,and some real games like colonization, captive etc

    Taranis, Sep 4, 2004
  9. Taranis

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 16:52:21 +1200, Taranis <>
    wrote:

    >Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
    >card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
    >chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
    >freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from the
    >control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as
    >windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is
    >a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an
    >option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266 overclocked
    >to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M. Any ideas to
    >what could be causing the problem is welcome.

    DirectX installed? I have had that with my Ensonique which wouldn't
    work until I installed DirectX.

    GraB, Sep 4, 2004
  10. Taranis

    wrote:

    >Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
    >card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
    >chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
    >freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from the
    >control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as
    >windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is
    >a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an
    >option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266 overclocked
    >to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M. Any ideas to
    >what could be causing the problem is welcome.

    Interesting you should say that about Linux. I have a Acer 50x CD-ROM
    drive that went very flaky in a friend's PC Company machine. Put it
    on my machine and Windows would not read any disc put in it, but when
    using a Linux bootable CD, it would work, though it would eventually
    stop responding. Cleaning the lens didn't improve anything.
    Doorstop. Its funny what people use for doorstops, when you think
    about it - dead drives, old 386s, dot matrix printers . . .

    GraB, Sep 4, 2004
  11. Taranis

    Taranis Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 16:52:21 +1200, Taranis <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
    >>card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
    >>chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
    >>freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from the
    >>control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as
    >>windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is
    >>a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an
    >>option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266
    >>overclocked to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M.
    >>Any ideas to what could be causing the problem is welcome.

    > DirectX installed? I have had that with my Ensonique which wouldn't
    > work until I installed DirectX.

    :) my first thought actually, installed direct x 9 from the netguide disks.
    It's a weird computer but I'll keep looking. It will happilly recognise
    pc133 memory but doesn't have an agp slot.

    Taranis, Sep 4, 2004
  12. Taranis

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 21:18:00 +1200, Taranis <>
    wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 16:52:21 +1200, Taranis <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
    >>>card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
    >>>chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
    >>>freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from the
    >>>control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as
    >>>windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is
    >>>a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an
    >>>option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266
    >>>overclocked to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M.
    >>>Any ideas to what could be causing the problem is welcome.

    >> DirectX installed? I have had that with my Ensonique which wouldn't
    >> work until I installed DirectX.

    >:) my first thought actually, installed direct x 9 from the netguide disks.
    >It's a weird computer but I'll keep looking. It will happilly recognise
    >pc133 memory but doesn't have an agp slot.

    I wonder if it is possible to have too new a version of DirectX? When
    I installed 98SE with a Radeon 7500 card installed, which is not DX9
    compatible, Windows wouldn't start. Had to redo it all and install
    DX8.1.

    GraB, Sep 4, 2004
  13. Taranis wrote:

    > Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
    > card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
    > chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
    > freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from the
    > control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as
    > windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is
    > a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an
    > option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266 overclocked
    > to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M. Any ideas to
    > what could be causing the problem is welcome.

    mobo drivers?
    via chipset?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 4, 2004
  14. Taranis wrote:
    > Windows happily recognises the onboard as an ess *** and the isa as a
    > soundblaster. Maybe I need a mb driver disk...

    you would only need the chipset drivers, and they're usually easy enough
    to find online.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 4, 2004
  15. In article <chbo0q$t77$> in nz.comp on Sat, 04 Sep 2004
    18:40:32 +1200, Taranis <> says...
    > steve wrote:
    >
    > > Taranis wrote:
    > >
    > >> Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
    > >> card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
    > >> chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
    > >> freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from
    > >> the control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is
    > >> weird as windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux
    > >> is. This is a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it
    > >> really isn't an option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have
    > >> a 266 overclocked to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to
    > >> 256M. Any ideas to what could be causing the problem is welcome.

    > > IRQ or DMA conflicts?
    > >
    > > Maybe there is on-board sound that needs to be disabled?

    > Nothing in the bios, looked hard believe me..

    Something that old will have a motherboard jumper.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 5, 2004