    Ihug says its system has been completely cleared after upgrading its
    filter software and installing new servers to cope with spam embedded
    into images which clogged up its system.

    Matty F, Nov 5, 2006

  2. Matty F

    Shane Guest

    http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/latest/200611060619/ihug_sorts_out_spam_problem

    > Ihug says its system has been completely cleared after upgrading its
    > filter software and installing new servers to cope with spam embedded
    > into images which clogged up its system.

    If the mail got dropped (ie. send of the mail item was not completed) then
    the mailserver the mail originated from *may* retry sending it for up to 5
    days

    Ive no idea which RFC this is mentioned in so could someone point me in the
    right direction?
    --
    Leela: Come on, little Poppler. Say mama!
    Fry: Look, Leela. Even if you've heard one talk, that doesn't mean it's

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Nov 5, 2006

  3. Matty F

    Mad.Mutt Guest

    Matty F wrote:

    > Ihug says its system has been completely cleared after upgrading its
    > filter software and installing new servers to cope with spam embedded
    > into images which clogged up its system.

    Hmmm, from memory, all the banking spam that was coming through was
    text-only... no embedded images, so unless my memory is incorrect, ihug
    is speaking half-truths at best.

    Mad.Mutt, Nov 6, 2006
  4. Matty F

    Vista Guest

    "Mad.Mutt" <> wrote in message
    > Matty F wrote:
    >

    >> Ihug says its system has been completely cleared after upgrading its
    >> filter software and installing new servers to cope with spam embedded
    >> into images which clogged up its system.
    >>

    > Hmmm, from memory, all the banking spam that was coming through was
    > text-only... no embedded images, so unless my memory is incorrect, ihug is
    > speaking half-truths at best.

    It sounds like it is more of a case that they oversold their services and
    didn't have the capacity to deal with higher than usual usage, as they state
    that they have installed additional hardware which has helped.

    Vista, Nov 6, 2006
  5. Matty F

    MarkH Guest

    "Mad.Mutt" <> wrote in news:eim4jf$ieh$2
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    > Matty F wrote:
    >

    >> Ihug says its system has been completely cleared after upgrading its
    >> filter software and installing new servers to cope with spam embedded
    >> into images which clogged up its system.
    >>

    > Hmmm, from memory, all the banking spam that was coming through was
    > text-only... no embedded images, so unless my memory is incorrect, ihug
    > is speaking half-truths at best.

    All the banking spam I have seen has looked like text, but in actual fact
    was a gif of text - clicking anywhere would take you to the phishing site.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Nov 6, 2006
  6. Matty F

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:31:29 +1300, in message <eim4jf$ieh$>,
    Mad.Mutt wrote:

    > Hmmm, from memory, all the banking spam that was coming through was
    > text-only... no embedded images, so unless my memory is incorrect, ihug
    > is speaking half-truths at best.

    3/4 of the banking spam I get is images, done up to look as if it
    were text.

    Ralph Fox, Nov 6, 2006
  7. Matty F

    Allistar Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:31:29 +1300, in message
    > <eim4jf$ieh$>, Mad.Mutt wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm, from memory, all the banking spam that was coming through was
    >> text-only... no embedded images, so unless my memory is incorrect, ihug
    >> is speaking half-truths at best.

    > 3/4 of the banking spam I get is images, done up to look as if it
    > were text.

    My mail client doesn't show images by default, so it's obvious when spam
    contains an image that looks like text.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Nov 6, 2006
  8. Matty F

    Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > > Hmmm, from memory, all the banking spam that was coming through was
    > > text-only... no embedded images, so unless my memory is incorrect, ihug is
    > > speaking half-truths at best.

    > It sounds like it is more of a case that they oversold their services and
    > didn't have the capacity to deal with higher than usual usage, as they state
    > that they have installed additional hardware which has helped.

    Possibly. More likely they were reaching the tail end of their upgrade
    cycle and they couldn't deal with the unexpected surge in spam that
    occured recently as I have suggested elsewhere. It's quite normal for
    companies to install new equipment to deal with a surge of spam since
    often it's the cheapest way to deal with it and usually the problem is
    biggest when upgrades were due soon anyway. Whether or not they were
    negligent upgraded sooner is an interesting question. The reality is we
    don't really know at what level their servers were running at. We're
    they running at 30% and then hit 150% with the spam surge or were they
    running at 90% then hit 300% with the spam surge? We don't really know.
    Personally, I don't think it's unresonable to expect some occasional
    problems when there is a massive spam surge. True this lasted quite a
    while but the reality is I don't know if it's resonable to expect a
    company to be able to deal with every spam surge that happens

    While incidents like this irk me, I primarily blame the spamers. When a
    company takes the necessary measures to deal with the problem and it
    mostly wasn't their fault, well then that's acceptable I guess. Xtra
    has had similar problems and while there are a lot of bad things
    Telecom and Xtra does, I don't really see the need to blame them or
    Ihug for these kinds sorts of problems

    I'm much more pissed at Ihug for deciding to traffic shape while
    denying it for quite a while. Then recently changeingtheir T&C to say
    they could

    , Nov 7, 2006