    Suggestions?

    Thanks.

    , Dec 26, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
    > about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
    > quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
    > camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
    >
    > I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
    > model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
    > am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
    > to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
    >

    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Well, if you're a hobbyist then I would recommend the Canon Rebel
    series. There newest is the Rebel XTi. If I had the money. I'd go for it.

    I've had the Rebel XT and it's great. Has all the niceties that a
    regular slr has.....except it's digital. I share pix all over the
    internet and with friends and families and mailing lists....No problem.
    Now, they're priced under 700 and reasonable. I paid 1000 for mine
    when they first came out but worth every penny of it. The only thing I
    wouldn't recommend is Canon lenses. I have a 55-200 and it doesn't have
    IS or VR built into it and neither does the camera. You need a tripod
    for some shots, and if you're on vacation, the last thing you want to
    caarry is a monopod or tripod with you. Just a microdisk, or several
    high speed cf cards. Those cf cards have come way down too. I am going
    to pick a couple of 2gb ones at Walgreens. They're 14.95 apiece and
    faster than the microdrive by all means. I mean you can't take burst
    with the microdrive. You can, but you have to wait between the 4 or 5
    shots that you take in burst mode. Not to mention the time it takes to
    xfer pix to the notebook. On vacation, it's easy to take a notebook
    with you, but if you're going on a cruise....you're going away to get
    away from the computer racket. I mean I would. I've been on two
    cruises over the years and no notebook, just the camera and microdrive.

    Harry

    Harry Flaxman, Dec 26, 2006

  3. Rich Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
    > about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
    > quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
    > camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
    >
    > I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
    > model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
    > am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
    > to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
    >

    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.

    There's still error 99.

    Rich, Dec 26, 2006
  4. Ron Hunter Guest

    Harry Flaxman wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
    >> about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
    >> quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
    >> camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
    >>
    >> I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
    >> model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
    >> am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
    >> to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
    >>
    >> Suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Well, if you're a hobbyist then I would recommend the Canon Rebel
    > series. There newest is the Rebel XTi. If I had the money. I'd go for
    > it.
    >
    > I've had the Rebel XT and it's great. Has all the niceties that a
    > regular slr has.....except it's digital. I share pix all over the
    > internet and with friends and families and mailing lists....No problem.
    > Now, they're priced under 700 and reasonable. I paid 1000 for mine
    > when they first came out but worth every penny of it. The only thing I
    > wouldn't recommend is Canon lenses. I have a 55-200 and it doesn't have
    > IS or VR built into it and neither does the camera. You need a tripod
    > for some shots, and if you're on vacation, the last thing you want to
    > caarry is a monopod or tripod with you. Just a microdisk, or several
    > high speed cf cards. Those cf cards have come way down too. I am going
    > to pick a couple of 2gb ones at Walgreens. They're 14.95 apiece and
    > faster than the microdrive by all means. I mean you can't take burst
    > with the microdrive. You can, but you have to wait between the 4 or 5
    > shots that you take in burst mode. Not to mention the time it takes to
    > xfer pix to the notebook. On vacation, it's easy to take a notebook
    > with you, but if you're going on a cruise....you're going away to get
    > away from the computer racket. I mean I would. I've been on two
    > cruises over the years and no notebook, just the camera and microdrive.
    >
    > Harry

    I take my laptop when I go on a cruise. Aside from not wanting to be
    away from my 'information resource', it makes a good place to dump the
    pictures from my camera to. I am really not concerned about transfer
    time as I usually sleep each night. Grin.
    Oh, did my third cruise in October (7 days). Would have been in
    terminal (pun intended) withdrawal without the laptop!

    Ron Hunter, Dec 26, 2006
  5. Mark B. Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >> Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
    >> about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
    >> quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
    >> camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
    >>
    >> I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
    >> model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
    >> am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
    >> to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
    >>

    >> Suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > There's still error 99.

    I have an S2 IS, my wife has an SD450 and she previously used an A70. None
    of them have ever had any errors.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 26, 2006
  6. Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Harry Flaxman wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
    >>> about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
    >>> quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
    >>> camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
    >>>
    >>> I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
    >>> model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
    >>> am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
    >>> to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Well, if you're a hobbyist then I would recommend the Canon Rebel
    >> series. There newest is the Rebel XTi. If I had the money. I'd go
    >> for it.
    >>
    >> I've had the Rebel XT and it's great. Has all the niceties that a
    >> regular slr has.....except it's digital. I share pix all over the
    >> internet and with friends and families and mailing lists....No
    >> problem. Now, they're priced under 700 and reasonable. I paid 1000
    >> for mine when they first came out but worth every penny of it. The
    >> only thing I wouldn't recommend is Canon lenses. I have a 55-200 and
    >> it doesn't have IS or VR built into it and neither does the camera.
    >> You need a tripod for some shots, and if you're on vacation, the last
    >> thing you want to caarry is a monopod or tripod with you. Just a
    >> microdisk, or several high speed cf cards. Those cf cards have come
    >> way down too. I am going to pick a couple of 2gb ones at Walgreens.
    >> They're 14.95 apiece and faster than the microdrive by all means. I
    >> mean you can't take burst with the microdrive. You can, but you have
    >> to wait between the 4 or 5 shots that you take in burst mode. Not to
    >> mention the time it takes to xfer pix to the notebook. On vacation,
    >> it's easy to take a notebook with you, but if you're going on a
    >> cruise....you're going away to get away from the computer racket. I
    >> mean I would. I've been on two cruises over the years and no
    >> notebook, just the camera and microdrive.
    >>
    >> Harry

    > I take my laptop when I go on a cruise. Aside from not wanting to be
    > away from my 'information resource', it makes a good place to dump the
    > pictures from my camera to. I am really not concerned about transfer
    > time as I usually sleep each night. Grin.
    > Oh, did my third cruise in October (7 days). Would have been in
    > terminal (pun intended) withdrawal without the laptop!

    I use one of those epson photo viewers to store my pics on when I'm away
    from my pc, the transfer rate isn't fantastic but it is convenient.

    , Dec 26, 2006
  7. Jim Townsend Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > I take my laptop when I go on a cruise. Aside from not wanting to be
    > away from my 'information resource', it makes a good place to dump the
    > pictures from my camera to.

    I wound up with a laptop to store photos too. They cost a bit more
    than those portable hard drives, but they're *SO* versatile.

    Not only can you store images, but you can watch movies or listen
    to MP3s, and even play solitaire or other games to pass the time on
    long plane or bus trips.

    Almost all laptops come with burners now, so you can even back up your
    photos as you travel.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 26, 2006
  8. Jim Townsend Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
    > about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
    > quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
    > camera that will stop working all of a sudden.

    My Daughter has had one for a while. She's never had any problems.
    It's a great little camera. (I tried it out just last night at
    the family Christmas dinner :). The big LCD screen is pretty
    impressive.

    I'd buy one.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 26, 2006
  9. dwight Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
    > about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
    > quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
    > camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
    >
    > I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
    > model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
    > am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
    > to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I guess I'm a gambler. Not ALL SD630s will eventually get this error, and
    I'm betting that the one I just bought for my wife won't. Of course, if she
    drops it or throws it against the wall, all bets are off.

    My son and daughter both received ELPH Canons from their old man, and I went
    with the SD630 for my wife because of the huge 3" screen on the back. She
    used it last night at a Christmas gathering for the first time, and really
    enjoyed it.

    Now, if the camera does suddenly go e18 on us, I'm out a couple of hundred
    bucks. But, like I said, I'm a gambler, and that's true every time I buy
    something - from cameras to cars.

    dwight

    dwight, Dec 26, 2006
  10. Bill Funk Guest

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 03:27:14 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Harry Flaxman wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
    >>> about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
    >>> quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
    >>> camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
    >>>
    >>> I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
    >>> model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
    >>> am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
    >>> to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Well, if you're a hobbyist then I would recommend the Canon Rebel
    >> series. There newest is the Rebel XTi. If I had the money. I'd go for
    >> it.
    >>
    >> I've had the Rebel XT and it's great. Has all the niceties that a
    >> regular slr has.....except it's digital. I share pix all over the
    >> internet and with friends and families and mailing lists....No problem.
    >> Now, they're priced under 700 and reasonable. I paid 1000 for mine
    >> when they first came out but worth every penny of it. The only thing I
    >> wouldn't recommend is Canon lenses. I have a 55-200 and it doesn't have
    >> IS or VR built into it and neither does the camera. You need a tripod
    >> for some shots, and if you're on vacation, the last thing you want to
    >> caarry is a monopod or tripod with you. Just a microdisk, or several
    >> high speed cf cards. Those cf cards have come way down too. I am going
    >> to pick a couple of 2gb ones at Walgreens. They're 14.95 apiece and
    >> faster than the microdrive by all means. I mean you can't take burst
    >> with the microdrive. You can, but you have to wait between the 4 or 5
    >> shots that you take in burst mode. Not to mention the time it takes to
    >> xfer pix to the notebook. On vacation, it's easy to take a notebook
    >> with you, but if you're going on a cruise....you're going away to get
    >> away from the computer racket. I mean I would. I've been on two
    >> cruises over the years and no notebook, just the camera and microdrive.
    >>
    >> Harry

    >I take my laptop when I go on a cruise. Aside from not wanting to be
    >away from my 'information resource', it makes a good place to dump the
    >pictures from my camera to. I am really not concerned about transfer
    >time as I usually sleep each night. Grin.
    >Oh, did my third cruise in October (7 days). Would have been in
    >terminal (pun intended) withdrawal without the laptop!

    I have a laptop for our vacations (as well as other uses), too.
    I find it invaluable for more than just storing photos; my wife uses
    it for her solitaire addiction, I use it for keeping up on mail and
    other online tasks, and it makes for good slideshows of the day's
    photos by all involved.
    We're doing our third cruise this coming summer, to Alaska.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 26, 2006
  11. ASAAR Guest

    On 25 Dec 2006 22:23:33 -0800, wrote:

    > Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
    > about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
    > quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
    > camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
    >
    > I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
    > model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
    > am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
    > to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.

    If you really like the SD630, get one! No matter what camera you
    get, from Canon or any other manufacturer, there will always be a
    few that will suddenly stop working. The SD630 may (or may not)
    have a slightly higher failure rate than the average camera, but it
    can't be high enough to be a major problem or Canon would have
    immediately withdrawn them from the market or issued a firmware
    update if that would have fixed the problem.

    ASAAR, Dec 26, 2006
  12. Bill Funk Guest

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 01:34:53 -0600, Harry Flaxman <>
    wrote:

    > Now, they're priced under 700 and reasonable. I paid 1000 for mine
    >when they first came out but worth every penny of it. The only thing I
    >wouldn't recommend is Canon lenses. I have a 55-200 and it doesn't have
    >IS or VR built into it and neither does the camera.

    This is a matter of choice; Canon has two 70-200mm IS lenses (both
    "L", so not cheap). Choosing a non-IS lens, and then complaining that
    it doesn't have IS and saying this is a reason to not buy Canon makes
    no sense.
    I bought a Rebel/300D for $1000 with the kit lens. I replaced the kit
    lens with a 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS lens; I find it to be a great
    wqalk-around lens, althought that's a matter of personal opinion. Many
    like the 24-105 f/4 IS L lens.
    I've replaced the Rebel with a 30D, and still use the 28-135 as my
    walk-around lens.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 27, 2006
  13. ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 01:34:53 -0600, Harry (the assumer) Flaxman
    wrote:

    >> Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
    >> about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
    >> quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
    >> camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
    >>
    >> I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
    >> model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
    >> am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
    >> to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
    >>

    >> Suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Well, if you're a hobbyist then I would recommend the Canon Rebel
    > series. There newest is the Rebel XTi. If I had the money. I'd go for it.

    Very interesting suggestion. I hadn't realized that with its new,
    smaller battery, the XTi was now able to fit in a shirt pocket.

    ASAAR, Dec 27, 2006
  14. John Turco Guest

    Harry Flaxman wrote:

    <heavily edited, for brevity>

    > Those cf cards have come way down too. I am going
    > to pick a couple of 2gb ones at Walgreens. They're 14.95 apiece and
    > faster than the microdrive by all means.

    <edited>

    Hello, Harry:

    $14.95, for a 2GB memory card? Where do you live, and would you buy one
    and send it to me?

    I'll pay for the item and its shipping charges, naturally. <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Dec 30, 2006