    SniperSquad Guest

    I saw these phones on a webstie a few days ago, and was just wondering is it
    worth buying it, comparing it with the Cisco ATA 186

    SniperSquad, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Hello!

    SniperSquad wrote:

    > I saw these phones on a webstie a few days ago, and was just wondering is it
    > worth buying it, comparing it with the Cisco ATA 186

    IMHO it is not worth it. Grandstream have tried to use proprietary tools
    to configure their phones and ignore developers suggestions on how to
    improve the functionality. So they have missed the "focal point" and
    probably will be wiped off the market in the next 6months-1year. If you
    want to bet for the future - take a look on the Cisco ATAs and Sipura
    (http://www.sipura.com/)

    WBR, Andrew
    --
    Andrew Zhilenko
    Please remove "hide-email." from my email address when replying,

    Andrew Zhilenko, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Andrew Zhilenko <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello!
    >
    > SniperSquad wrote:
    >
    > > I saw these phones on a webstie a few days ago, and was just wondering is it
    > > worth buying it, comparing it with the Cisco ATA 186

    > IMHO it is not worth it. Grandstream have tried to use proprietary tools
    > to configure their phones and ignore developers suggestions on how to
    > improve the functionality. So they have missed the "focal point" and
    > probably will be wiped off the market in the next 6months-1year. If you
    > want to bet for the future - take a look on the Cisco ATAs and Sipura
    > (http://www.sipura.com/)
    >
    > WBR, Andrew

    I have been using The Grandstream ATA Handy Tone, it is a SIP(the VoIP
    protocol of the future)device very simple with very good performance
    and frendly use. If you are thinking of a SIP device is an good choice
    for its price. It uses STUN which let you use it behind NATs. You can
    take it everywhere,(as big as a cigarette pack) therefore make and
    take calls to/from anywhere. If you are thinking of a multiprotocol
    device, those named above could be better choices. I believe it will
    stay in the market because is a good product.

    Juan Castañeda

    Juan G. Castaneda, Jan 5, 2004
  4. SniperSquad

    SniperSquad Guest

    Does that mean Cisco ATA 186 will not work behind NATs?? I also have heard
    that i will need to upgrade SIP image to the 186s..what's the story?? or
    maybe I misunderstood

    "Juan G. Castaneda" <>
    ???????:...

    SniperSquad, Jan 5, 2004
  5. "SniperSquad" <> wrote in message news:<LXdKb.2522$>...
    > Does that mean Cisco ATA 186 will not work behind NATs?? I also have heard
    > that i will need to upgrade SIP image to the 186s..what's the story?? or
    > maybe I misunderstood
    >
    > "Juan G. Castaneda" <>
    > ???????:...
    > > Andrew Zhilenko <> wrote in message

    > is it
    > > > IMHO it is not worth it. Grandstream have tried to use proprietary tools
    > > > to configure their phones and ignore developers suggestions on how to
    > > > improve the functionality. So they have missed the "focal point" and
    > > > probably will be wiped off the market in the next 6months-1year. If you
    > > > want to bet for the future - take a look on the Cisco ATAs and Sipura
    > > > (http://www.sipura.com/)
    > > >
    > > > WBR, Andrew

    > > I have been using The Grandstream ATA Handy Tone, it is a SIP(the VoIP
    > > protocol of the future)device very simple with very good performance
    > > and frendly use. If you are thinking of a SIP device is a good choice
    > > for its price. It uses STUN which let you use it behind NATs. You can
    > > take it everywhere,(as big as a cigarette pack) therefore make and
    > > take calls to/from anywhere. If you are thinking of a multiprotocol
    > > device, those named above could be better choices. I believe it will
    > > stay in the market because is a good product.
    > >
    > > Juan Castañeda

    The Cisco ATA will work behind NATs, but you would need port
    forwarding to let the information go through, whereas with STUN that
    works with SIP is crystal clear to you. With SIP you need to get
    connected to SIP servers only, otherwise it would not work.

    Juan G. Castaneda, Jan 5, 2004
  6. SniperSquad

    SniperSquad Guest

    Thanks for the reply. Is there any difficulties for Direct IP dialing with
    the Cisco ATA 186 behind the NAT router??

    "Juan G. Castaneda" <>
    ???????:...

    SniperSquad, Jan 6, 2004
  7. "SniperSquad" <> wrote in message news:<aTpKb.3102$>...
    > Thanks for the reply. Is there any difficulties for Direct IP dialing with
    > the Cisco ATA 186 behind the NAT router??
    >

    > "Juan G. Castaneda" <>
    > ???????:...
    > > "SniperSquad" <> wrote in message

    > > > Does that mean Cisco ATA 186 will not work behind NATs?? I also have

    > heard
    > > > that i will need to upgrade SIP image to the 186s..what's the story?? or
    > > > maybe I misunderstood
    > > >
    > > > "Juan G. Castaneda" <>
    > > > ???????:...

    > wondering
    > is it

    > tools

    > you

    > Sipura

    > > The Cisco ATA will work behind NATs, but you would need port
    > > forwarding to let the information go through, whereas with STUN that
    > > works with SIP is crystal clear to you. With SIP you need to get
    > > connected to SIP servers only, otherwise it would not work.

    No, once port forwarding is provided, also take a look at Cisco ATA
    186 and Cisco 188 installation and configuration guide, you can
    download it from Cisco web site for further information.

    Juan G. Castaneda, Jan 6, 2004
  8. SniperSquad

    SniperSquad Guest

    Thanks a lot mate:)
    Just one last question, does The GrandStream Handy tone work the same way as
    the ATA 186s?? just plug in the Ethernet, and a traditional phone, and set
    it up for use?
    I am going to be using it for phone calls between my family and me..really
    struggling which to buy at the moment. Does the Cisco ATA 186 have any
    advantages over the Handy tone?? voice quality??or codec??anything??

    "Juan G. Castaneda" <>
    ???????:...

    SniperSquad, Jan 6, 2004
  9. You can find some additional information on the Grandstream and other
    alternatives here:
    www.voip-info.org

    If you use the Grandstream, you may want to try the beta firmware as the
    firmware currently shipping (1.0.3.81) and listed as stable on the
    Grandstream website has a number of problems.

    --
    Jim

    James H. Thompson

    James H. Thompson, Jan 6, 2004
  10. "SniperSquad" <> wrote in message news:<kayKb.3489$>...
    > Thanks a lot mate:)
    > Just one last question, does The GrandStream Handy tone work the same way as
    > the ATA 186s?? just plug in the Ethernet, and a traditional phone, and set
    > it up for use?
    > I am going to be using it for phone calls between my family and me..really
    > struggling which to buy at the moment. Does the Cisco ATA 186 have any
    > advantages over the Handy tone?? voice quality??or codec??anything??
    >
    > "Juan G. Castaneda" <>
    > ???????:...
    > > "SniperSquad" <> wrote in message

    > > > Thanks for the reply. Is there any difficulties for Direct IP dialing

    > with
    > > > the Cisco ATA 186 behind the NAT router??
    > > >

    > > > "Juan G. Castaneda" <>
    > > > ???????:...

    > heard

    > story?? or

    > > > wondering
    > > > is it

    > proprietary
    > tools

    > how

    > and

    > If
    > you

    > Sipura

    > VoIP

    > performance

    > choice

    > can

    > multiprotocol

    > will

    > > No, once port forwarding is provided, also take a look at Cisco ATA
    > > 186 and Cisco 188 installation and configuration guide, you can
    > > download it from Cisco web site for further information.

    In both cases you must set up these devices. The Cisco ATA has two FXS
    ports so you can use two analog telephones with the proper software.
    It is a multiprotocol device. The Handy tone only works with SIP, the
    same codecs, same voice quality, cheaper. Just plug in to ethernet, to
    an analog telephone, and set it up for use.
    I would suggest to visit sipphone.com, fwd.pulver.com, and iptel.org.
    You can subscribe to these sites for free and make/receive phone calls
    to/from your family and friends using a sip server. Good luck...

    Juan G. Castaneda, Jan 7, 2004
  11. In both cases you must set up these devices. The Cisco ATA has two FXS

    Juan G. Castaneda, Jan 7, 2004
  12. On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 02:49:33 +1300, "SniperSquad"
    <> wrote:

    >Does that mean Cisco ATA 186 will not work behind NATs?? I also have heard
    >that i will need to upgrade SIP image to the 186s..what's the story??

    you can install a SIP image to the 186 and it will work behind a NAT
    router for example using FWD service. Did it last night.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jan 10, 2004
  13. SniperSquad

    Carlos Guest

    I have my grandstream working with nikotel.com and can not work with
    iconnecthere.com
    Hope I can learn more!

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 19, 2004
  14. I got it working with a Grandstream ATA 286. I'm not sure if there might be
    a difference in the firmware or not, but it seems unlikely.
    Grandstream.com's website has common settings on it. Have you looked at it?

    Stu

    Stuart Friedman, Jan 24, 2004