    Has anyone got this working?

    --
    Peter <X-Files fan>
    Trust No One®, Oct 19, 2012

  2. Trust No One®

    Chris Davies Guest

    "Trust No One®" <> wrote:
    > I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 on Vodafone. I've recently installed the Sipgate
    > android app but have had absolutely no joy with either making or receiving
    > calls on 3g. The app connects to Sipgate but does precious little else.

    I'm with Talkmobile (a Vodafone virtual), and SIPDroid can't establish
    a useful speech path. Initially I had thought it was my low-end
    phone's issue, but I've countered that with MobileVOIP, which works
    beatifully. However, it is tied to the Betamax/Finarea service so I
    can't use it with Sipgate.

    I'll have a try with the Sipgate app itself over the weekend.
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Oct 19, 2012

  3. "Jono" <> wrote in message

    >> Has anyone got this working?

    > Don't Voda run ALL their mobile internet through a proxy? - I'd be
    > surprised if there isn't NAT going on too, don't think you get a public IP

    Well here's the thing...

    The iOS version works perfectly well on my iPad, which is on a Vodafone
    mobile internet contract. I can make and receive calls using the app.

    --
    Peter <X-Files fan>
    Trust No One®, Oct 20, 2012
  4. Trust No One®

    Chris Davies Guest

    Chris Davies <> wrote:
    > I'll have a try with the Sipgate app itself over the weekend.

    Nothing on 3G. Variable (tending towards not a lot) on WiFi. This even
    after experimenting with the different codec options. It also chewed up
    my battery at a stupid rate. All in all, about 2/10 "could do better".

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Oct 21, 2012
  5. "Chris Davies" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Davies <> wrote:
    >> I'll have a try with the Sipgate app itself over the weekend.

    > Nothing on 3G. Variable (tending towards not a lot) on WiFi. This even
    > after experimenting with the different codec options. It also chewed up
    > my battery at a stupid rate. All in all, about 2/10 "could do better".

    Hi Chris,

    Glad it wasn't just me - looks like the Android app isn't really fit for
    purpose :)

    A pity... What could have been....

    --
    Peter <X-Files fan>
    Trust No One®, Oct 22, 2012
  6. Trust No One®

    Chris Davies Guest

    "Trust No One®" <> wrote:
    > Glad it wasn't just me - looks like the Android app isn't really fit for
    > purpose :)

    If your phone is a little more powerful than my 600MHz Wildfire, the
    Sipdroid app from I-P-Tel GmbH may work for you. (My phone works really
    well with MobileVOIP, but that's outbound via Betamax/Finarea only.)

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Oct 22, 2012
  7. Trust No One®

    Woody Guest

    > Chris Davies <> wrote:
    >> I'll have a try with the Sipgate app itself over the weekend.

    > Nothing on 3G. Variable (tending towards not a lot) on WiFi.
    > This even
    > after experimenting with the different codec options. It also
    > chewed up
    > my battery at a stupid rate. All in all, about 2/10 "could do
    > better".
    >
    > Chris

    When you say wi-fi do you mean VF supplied wi-fi or your normal
    domestic? If the latter, I have no problems at all with Sipdroid
    using voip.co.uk.

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
    Woody, Oct 22, 2012
  8. Trust No One®

    Chris Davies Guest

    Woody <> wrote:
    > When you say wi-fi do you mean VF supplied wi-fi or your normal
    > domestic? If the latter, I have no problems at all with Sipdroid
    > using voip.co.uk.

    Domestic.

    Nice to know. My phone will just about struggle with the Sipdroid app,
    but the Sipgate app doesn't do anything useful. Even dialing 10000
    doesn't always deliver a voice channel. Sigh.

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Oct 22, 2012
  9. Trust No One®

    Soruk Guest

    On 2012-10-23, www.GymRatZ.co.uk <> wrote:
    > On 22/10/2012 10:38, Chris Davies wrote:
    >
    >> If your phone is a little more powerful than my 600MHz Wildfire, the
    >> Sipdroid app from I-P-Tel GmbH may work for you. (My phone works really
    >> well with MobileVOIP, but that's outbound via Betamax/Finarea only.)

    > I'm also loving the Finera app. Myself & my partners mobiles, home and
    > work landlines all share the same single account with individual caller
    > ID's set-up.
    >
    > Just superb.

    Have you tried CSipSimple? I used to use SipDroid, but found the line quality
    (to my own Asterisk box) much better on CSipSimple, connecting over Orange 3G
    using an old HTC Wildfire and the GSM codec.

    I'm now on giffgaff using a Huawei Ascend G300, and CSipSimple still works
    nicely over 3G.

    Matrix Dial: International Calls - http://www.matrixdial.co.uk/
    Soruk, Oct 25, 2012
  10. Trust No One®

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:34:44 +0100, Soruk wrote:

    > On 2012-10-23, www.GymRatZ.co.uk <>
    > wrote:
    >> On 22/10/2012 10:38, Chris Davies wrote:
    >>
    >>> If your phone is a little more powerful than my 600MHz Wildfire, the
    >>> Sipdroid app from I-P-Tel GmbH may work for you. (My phone works
    >>> really well with MobileVOIP, but that's outbound via Betamax/Finarea
    >>> only.)

    >> I'm also loving the Finera app. Myself & my partners mobiles, home and
    >> work landlines all share the same single account with individual caller
    >> ID's set-up.
    >>
    >> Just superb.

    > Have you tried CSipSimple? I used to use SipDroid, but found the line
    > quality (to my own Asterisk box) much better on CSipSimple, connecting
    > over Orange 3G using an old HTC Wildfire and the GSM codec.

    Does it allow SIP over TCP?

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

    Bob Eager, Oct 25, 2012
  11. Trust No One®

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message <>
    Bob Eager <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:34:44 +0100, Soruk wrote:
    >
    > > Have you tried CSipSimple? I used to use SipDroid, but found the line
    > > quality (to my own Asterisk box) much better on CSipSimple, connecting
    > > over Orange 3G using an old HTC Wildfire and the GSM codec.

    > Does it allow SIP over TCP?

    Why do you ask? Do you have stuff that does SIP over TCP, and, if
    so, what is it?

    I'm looking for a collection of SIP UAs that use TCP.

    I have some Grandstream phones whose SIP/TCP implementation is
    buggy, though I've not checked for firmware upgrades in some time.

    Dave
    Dave Higton, Oct 25, 2012
  12. Trust No One®

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:35:00 +0100, Dave Higton wrote:

    > In message <>
    > Bob Eager <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:34:44 +0100, Soruk wrote:
    >>
    >> > Have you tried CSipSimple? I used to use SipDroid, but found the line
    >> > quality (to my own Asterisk box) much better on CSipSimple,
    >> > connecting over Orange 3G using an old HTC Wildfire and the GSM
    >> > codec.

    >> Does it allow SIP over TCP?

    > Why do you ask? Do you have stuff that does SIP over TCP, and, if so,
    > what is it?

    Asterisk does it. I have an Asterisk box at home, and use the phone as an
    'extension'. But only TCP gets through the firewall at work.

    Bob Eager, Oct 25, 2012
  13. Trust No One®

    Chris Davies Guest

    Soruk <> wrote:
    > Have you tried CSipSimple? I used to use SipDroid, but found the line
    > quality (to my own Asterisk box) much better on CSipSimple, connecting
    > over Orange 3G using an old HTC Wildfire and the GSM codec.

    That's a good find, thank you. I was trying it yesterday evening and
    although it would deliver the "well done!" message from 10000, it wouldn't
    let me listen to my voicemail messages. But it does work to "real"
    phone numbers. Is there something strange/different about calling 50000?

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Oct 26, 2012
  14. "Chris Davies" <> wrote in message
    > "Trust No One®" <> wrote:
    >> Glad it wasn't just me - looks like the Android app isn't really fit for
    >> purpose :)

    > If your phone is a little more powerful than my 600MHz Wildfire, the
    > Sipdroid app from I-P-Tel GmbH may work for you. (My phone works really
    > well with MobileVOIP, but that's outbound via Betamax/Finarea only.)

    I tried installing Sipdroid but it also doesn't appear to work well on my
    Galaxy S3. It connects to Sipgate but I get no sound whatsoever when I dial,
    even though the called number rings.

    I gave up and uninstalled it and tried the Mobile VOIP app. This works very
    well, but as you say, it is outbound only. This isn't really a problem for
    me.

    Nice to be able to use a bit more of my 2Gb monthly data allowance.

    --
    Peter <X-Files fan>
    Trust No One®, Oct 28, 2012
  15. On 2012-10-25, Bob Eager wrote:
    >Asterisk does it. I have an Asterisk box at home, and use the phone as an
    >'extension'. But only TCP gets through the firewall at work.

    That's really not likely to work well, alas. You can encapsulate both
    SIP and RTMP in a TCP stream by e.g. using OpenVPN in TCP mode (add
    the "tcp" keyword at the end of the "remote" line), but when I've
    tried this the quality falls horribly; it certainly seems as though a
    dropped packet is better than a late one for voice comprehension.
    Roger Burton West, Oct 28, 2012