  1. PNeski

    PNeski Guest

    whats it like? is it 2.35:1?

    PNeski, Jul 17, 2004

  2. PNeski

    Mike Kohary Guest

    PNeski wrote:
    > whats it like? is it 2.35:1?

    The transfer is disappointing, but it's better than nothing.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jul 17, 2004

  3. PNeski

    lrulan Guest

    --

    Irulan
    from now until the end of time

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > PNeski wrote:
    > > whats it like? is it 2.35:1?

    > The transfer is disappointing, but it's better than nothing.
    >
    > Mike

    What new extras are in it? I have the original dvd release which had no
    extras.

    lrulan, Jul 17, 2004
  4. PNeski

    Mike Kohary Guest

    lrulan wrote:
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    >> PNeski wrote:
    >>> whats it like? is it 2.35:1?

    >> The transfer is disappointing, but it's better than nothing.
    >>
    >> Mike

    > What new extras are in it? I have the original dvd release which had
    > no extras.

    Agh, I'm sorry - I just noticed you're talking about a *new* edition (which
    I wasn't aware was coming out). I'm referring to the edition that came out,
    what, a couple of years ago? Anyway, the disc I have has no extras, so it
    must be the same as yours.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jul 17, 2004
  5. PNeski

    PNeski Guest

    Theres a New Pal DVD which has
    both Versions Plus some other stuff
    Like Commentary
    I guess its coming out here,when
    I don't know,I would think Storraro
    would trim the sides,since he said
    something about it at some piont.
    But I don't know if he did
    Peter

    PNeski, Jul 17, 2004
  6. PNeski

    Guest

    The versions I have heard of are:

    Region 1: Director's Cut, non-anamorphic widescreen, hellishly bad
    quality unwatchable cropped picture. AVOID THIS VERSION.

    PAL versions (french, australian etc): Theatrical Cut, good 16x9 picture.

    Comparison of the two: http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor.htm

    I don't know of any DVD which has the director's cut in good quality...
    if there is one please tell me.

    , Jul 18, 2004
  7. wrote:
    > The versions I have heard of are:
    >
    > Region 1: Director's Cut, non-anamorphic widescreen, hellishly bad
    > quality unwatchable cropped picture. AVOID THIS VERSION.
    >
    > PAL versions (french, australian etc): Theatrical Cut, good 16x9 picture.
    >
    > Comparison of the two:
    > http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor.htm

    And I'll take the opportunity to plug a third edition, which I think is
    superior to both the above (quoting from a post I made to
    alt.video.laserdisc back in May):

    Here are the first four images from that DVDBeaver page, but this time
    comparing the French R2 PAL disc and my Korean R0 NTSC disc:

    French: <http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor/1r2.jpg>
    Korean: <http://www.gweep.net/~trystero/images/TLE/TLE-1.jpg>

    French: <http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor/2-r2.jpg>
    Korean: <http://www.gweep.net/~trystero/images/TLE/TLE-2.jpg>

    French: <http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor/3r2.jpg>
    Korean: <http://www.gweep.net/~trystero/images/TLE/TLE-3.jpg>

    French: <http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor/4-r2.jpg>
    Korean: <http://www.gweep.net/~trystero/images/TLE/TLE-4.jpg>

    These aren't quite exact frame matches (I did them in a hurry), but they're
    close enough to be a good basis for comparison.

    The two discs are roughly comparable, but look to be different transfers:
    the French R2 is much more red-hued (especially noticeable in the skin
    tones), while the Korean disc seems more yellowish. I think the Korean
    transfer is superior: the image is more detailed and has less colour
    bleeding. Check out the third screen-cap: the white insignia on the
    bearers' red robes is clearer, as is the pattern of the golden fabric on
    the front facings of Pu Yi's litter. Similarly, in the fourth cap, the
    pattern of the straw in Johnston's hat is more detailed in the Korean
    transfer.

    (As to whether the reddish or yellowish tinge is more accurate to the
    filmmakers' intent, I can't say. Aesthetically, I think I prefer the yellow
    hue, but I may be biased in favour of the disc I already own.)

    > I don't know of any DVD which has the director's cut in good quality...
    > if there is one please tell me.

    Sadly, the Korean disc only has the theatrical cut in decent-quality
    anamorphic video: it includes the director's cut in the same
    badly-transferred, over-compressed form in which it appears on the US set.

    There's been some talk about an improved re-issue of the director's cut,
    though. Last November, an article appeared in the _New York Times_ which
    included this tidbit:

    "Steve Beeks, Artisan's president, says a new version of _The Last
    Emperor_, mastered from [Bernardo] Bertolucci's personal print, will come
    out next year..."

    --<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/09/movies/09KAPL.html>

    Caveat: the same article claimed that Lowry Digital was working on the
    individual DVD releases of the _Godfather_ films, which turned out not to
    be the case. And in any event, Artisan's buyout by Lion's Gate may have
    affected any plans for a better-quality re-issue. But I'm still hoping...

    doug

    --
    "I am mesmerised by my own beat like a heartbeat..."
    --Wire

    Douglas Bailey, Jul 18, 2004
  8. PNeski

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 12:13:51 +1000, wrote:

    >The versions I have heard of are:
    >
    >Region 1: Director's Cut, non-anamorphic widescreen, hellishly bad
    >quality unwatchable cropped picture. AVOID THIS VERSION.
    >
    >PAL versions (french, australian etc): Theatrical Cut, good 16x9 picture.
    >
    >Comparison of the two: http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor.htm

    Wow, that's quite a difference between the two.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jul 18, 2004
  9. PNeski

    PNeski Guest