    RustY

    --
    For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

    RustY ©, Jan 20, 2004

  2. RustY ©

    [BnH] Guest

    It'll work.
    Just much slower transfer rate [ usb 1.1 12 mbps ; usb 2.0 480 mbps ]
    And yes, you can buy a USB 2.0 add on card IF you have a free PCI slot.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jan 20, 2004

  3. RustY ©

    Bruce Watson Guest

    Or replace exisiting 1.0 card with a 2.0. They are only twenty dollars or
    so.

    Did this recently when I bought a Minolta Dimage III scanner. Made a huge
    difference in speed.

    Just take the case off (couple of screws) after unplugging.

    Card is held in sockt by friction and a small screw in the back frame of the
    case. Takes less than five minutes to switch out.

    Install drivers that come with new card and you are in high speed heaven.

    Bruce Watson, Jan 20, 2004
  4. RustY ©

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:29:18 GMT, "RustY ©" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm thinking of buying a 20Gb Image Tank but they are all advertised as
    >USB-2 devices. Can anyone tell me if they will work with my ordinary USB
    >ports. My machine is only six months old so can I buy a USB-2 add on ?
    >
    >RustY

    I have a 3 year old computer with only USB1 ports - I bought a 120 Gb
    external drive that is USB2.

    I bought a (Belkin) USB2 card & put it in the machine's spare PCI
    slot. Windows XP recognised it and all is sweet...

    A neighbour needed to give me some big files to print. Their machine
    did not have USB2 but I plugged it into a USB1 port instead. Again XP
    recognised it as an external drive, but a popup advised that a High
    speed device was plugged in a low speed port. It worked fine but it
    was much slower.

    USB2 devices are *supposed* to be backwards committable with USB1.
    From my experience, that is so. As long as you don't mind the popup
    telling you, and that speed is not an issue, you should be able to use
    the device with no other problems...

    As a Welsh Military place, at first, I thought that you were trying to
    get a TANK (as in Panzer) running in USB1 mode - I wonder if Sadam
    thought of that? Are you sure you are Welsh, & not Irish? :+}
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Jan 21, 2004