    "...stupid anti-fist-shaking laws..."
    --to reply direct remove "nothpam." from:
    --

    Bexley, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Bexley

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <hsNKa.1699$>, Bexley
    <> wrote:

    > I've been trying to get references on the following site:
    > www.anime-dvd-movies.com.
    >
    > They seem to have different versions of Anime series than those available
    > normally. Particularly Neon Genesis series (3 DVDs, Japanese w English and
    > Chinese subtitles), and Cowboy Bebop series (3 DVDs, Jap, Engl/Chin subs).
    >
    > These seem like good deals if they're legit. Can anyone vouch for these guys?

    As a general rule, if they have Chinese subs it's a bootleg. With the
    above two titles, however they managed to put 26 episodes on 3 dvds it
    can't give you a good image. The US releases have them on 6 dvds, and
    you can get reasonable prices if you look around.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Jun 27, 2003

  3. Bexley

    Bexley Guest

    THANKS, Chris -- this is the type of info I was looking for.

    --Bex.

    Bexley, Jun 27, 2003
  4. > > They seem to have different versions of Anime series than those
    available
    > > normally. Particularly Neon Genesis series (3 DVDs,

    > As a general rule, if they have Chinese subs it's a bootleg. With the
    > above two titles, however they managed to put 26 episodes on 3 dvds

    That's what I thought too... The NGE series only exists in one "package".
    You can buy the six DVDs separately or as a box-set, but you get the same
    DVDs no matter what...

    Snorre Selmer, Jun 27, 2003
  5. Bexley

    Rob Kelk Guest

    Bexley <> wrote:
    > I've been trying to get references on the following site:
    > www.anime-dvd-movies.com.
    >
    > They seem to have different versions of Anime series than those available
    > normally. Particularly Neon Genesis series (3 DVDs, Japanese w English and
    > Chinese subtitles), and Cowboy Bebop series (3 DVDs, Jap, Engl/Chin subs).
    >
    > These seem like good deals if they're legit. Can anyone vouch for these guys?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Bex.

    They look like bootlegs to me. Here's a list of the problems I've
    noticed just after doing a few spot-checks:
    * The cover art on their versions of "Excel Saga" and "Nadia" don't
    match the artwork on the legal ADV Films releases. (This is why I've
    sent a copy of this newsgroup post to "")
    * The legal releases of the Studio Ghibli movies are one movie per DVD,
    to maintain video quality. The six-movies-on-one-DVD available there
    is probably not licenced by either Ghibli or Disney. (This is why
    I've sent a copy of this newsgroup post to "".)
    * The names they've listed aren't right for "Blood: The Last Vampire",
    "ex-Driver", "Kareshi Kanojo no Jijyo/His and Her Circumstances",
    "Magic Knight Rayearth", or "Hoshi no Koe/Voices Of a Distant Star".
    While mis-named videos are not a reliable indicator of bootleg videos,
    they do indicate a problem somewhere...

    (By the way, the legit release of "Cowboy Bebop" is on six DVDs, or
    seven if you include the movie. "Neon Genesis Evangelion" was
    legitimately released on eight DVDs, or ten if you include the movies.
    I'd be extremely reluctant to buy a three-DVD set of either series even
    if the release was legal, simply because the compression required to get
    them onto that few DVDs would ruin the picture quality.)

    --
    Rob Kelk Personal address: robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
    E-mail address in the headers is a spamtrap - please use

    Rob Kelk, Jun 27, 2003
  6. Bexley

    Anti-Flag Guest

    "Rob Kelk" <> wrote in message
    > Bexley <> wrote:
    > > I've been trying to get references on the following site:
    > > www.anime-dvd-movies.com.
    > >
    > > They seem to have different versions of Anime series than those

    available
    > > normally. Particularly Neon Genesis series (3 DVDs, Japanese w English

    and
    > > Chinese subtitles), and Cowboy Bebop series (3 DVDs, Jap, Engl/Chin

    subs).

    > > These seem like good deals if they're legit. Can anyone vouch for these

    guys?

    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Bex.

    > They look like bootlegs to me. Here's a list of the problems I've
    > noticed just after doing a few spot-checks:
    > * The cover art on their versions of "Excel Saga" and "Nadia" don't
    > match the artwork on the legal ADV Films releases. (This is why I've
    > sent a copy of this newsgroup post to "")
    > * The legal releases of the Studio Ghibli movies are one movie per DVD,
    > to maintain video quality. The six-movies-on-one-DVD available there
    > is probably not licenced by either Ghibli or Disney. (This is why
    > I've sent a copy of this newsgroup post to "".)
    > * The names they've listed aren't right for "Blood: The Last Vampire",
    > "ex-Driver", "Kareshi Kanojo no Jijyo/His and Her Circumstances",
    > "Magic Knight Rayearth", or "Hoshi no Koe/Voices Of a Distant Star".
    > While mis-named videos are not a reliable indicator of bootleg videos,
    > they do indicate a problem somewhere...
    >
    > (By the way, the legit release of "Cowboy Bebop" is on six DVDs, or
    > seven if you include the movie. "Neon Genesis Evangelion" was
    > legitimately released on eight DVDs, or ten if you include the movies.
    > I'd be extremely reluctant to buy a three-DVD set of either series even
    > if the release was legal, simply because the compression required to get
    > them onto that few DVDs would ruin the picture quality.)
    >
    > --
    > Rob Kelk Personal address: robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
    > E-mail address in the headers is a spamtrap - please use
    > my personal address instead if you want to send me e-mail.
    > Any opinions here are mine, not the Government's.

    Wow.... ther was someone with the balls to sell DVDs the way thay should be
    sold(less the 100 fucking dollers) and some hore for the big bisness sold
    out and closed them down, (#1 A lot more eps can be put on a DVD without
    video loss, maybe not 15+ eps but a hellof alot more then the 3-4 on one of
    the new DVDs that cost 20$, almost $6.75 a fucking ep. the only reason we
    get only 3 eps a DVD is becase the big companys dont give a **** about us,
    or the fucking anime, thay just care about money. so **** you rob, and i
    hope you understand that piracy was what got anime ove to the US inthe first
    place, and you are noting more then a dirty hore.

    > Any opinions here are mine, not the Government's.

    LOL, you opinions are the same as are hore Government...

    so send this post into MPAA, or RiAA and have um sue my ass, **** em' and
    you.

    btw, lol, sorry for bad words, wait....nm

    Anti-Flag, Jul 1, 2003
  7. Bexley

    Anti-Flag Guest

    > Wow.... ther was someone with the balls to sell DVDs the way thay should

    be
    > sold(less the 100 fucking dollers) and some hore for the big bisness sold

    $179.98 for Cowboy Bebop , $144.48 for Neon Genesis Evangelion
    > out and closed them down, (#1 A lot more eps can be put on a DVD without
    > video loss, maybe not 15+ eps but a hellof alot more then the 3-4 on one

    of
    > the new DVDs that cost 20$, almost $6.75 a fucking ep. the only reason we
    > get only 3 eps a DVD is becase the big companys dont give a **** about us,
    > or the fucking anime, thay just care about money. so **** you rob, and i
    > hope you understand that piracy was what got anime ove to the US inthe

    first
    > place, and you are noting more then a dirty hore.
    >
    > > Any opinions here are mine, not the Government's.

    > LOL, you opinions are the same as are hore Government...
    >
    > so send this post into MPAA, or RiAA and have um sue my ass, **** em' and
    > you.
    >
    > btw, lol, sorry for bad words, wait....nm

    LOL, also why don't you sellout your local anime con. kus they show anime
    with out the copyright owner's permission.

    Anti-Flag, Jul 1, 2003
  8. Bexley

    Rob Kelk Guest

    Anti-Flag <> wrote:
    >>Wow.... ther was someone with the balls to sell DVDs the way thay should

    > be
    >
    >>sold(less the 100 fucking dollers) and some hore for the big bisness sold

    > $179.98 for Cowboy Bebop , $144.48 for Neon Genesis Evangelion
    > > out and closed them down, (#1 A lot more eps can be put on a DVD without

    >>video loss, maybe not 15+ eps but a hellof alot more then the 3-4 on one

    > of
    >
    >>the new DVDs that cost 20$, almost $6.75 a fucking ep. the only reason we
    >>get only 3 eps a DVD is becase the big companys dont give a **** about us,
    >>or the fucking anime, thay just care about money. so **** you rob, and i
    >>hope you understand that piracy was what got anime ove to the US inthe

    > first
    >
    >>place, and you are noting more then a dirty hore.

    I'm what? (looks up "hore" in the OED) No, I wash my hair regularly.

    Now, I have a question for you, "anti-flag":
    Why should I subsidize your hobby?

    If you're buying bootleg anime, then my purchases of licenced anime is
    subsidizing your viewing habits. Since you don't want my assistance in
    this, I expect you to send me a reinbursement payment. E-mail me at the
    address below for remittance instructions. If you don't want to pay me,
    then you can start buying the licenced anime. That'll bring my prices
    down on future releases.

    >>> Any opinions here are mine, not the Government's.

    >>LOL, you opinions are the same as are hore Government...
    >>
    >>so send this post into MPAA, or RiAA and have um sue my ass,

    Why would I want to involve foreign non-governmental organizations?

    >> **** em' and
    >>you.

    Well, as long as you're going to be polite and mature about your position...

    >>btw, lol, sorry for bad words, wait....nm
    >>

    > LOL, also why don't you sellout your local anime con. kus they show anime
    > with out the copyright owner's permission.

    No, they don't - they've requested and received permission to show the
    anime that they present.

    --
    Rob Kelk Personal address: robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
    Any opinions here are mine, not the Government's.
    Any opinions here are mine, not ONAG's.

    Rob Kelk, Jul 2, 2003
  9. Bexley

    Anti-Flag Guest

    Rob: my appolagys for the rudeness of my post, even though the belifes in
    the post are what i see as true, i relise that my delvery of them was rude,
    and you hav my appolagys for that, that being said, id like to say more
    (yay!)

    #1 ive never bought bootleg anime, as I never have money.
    #2 Company's use that excuse too much, the makers of CDs one said that
    bootlegs make the cost of the CDs prices, now the same companys might be
    owing CD buyers a lot of money for illegally boosting priceis.
    #3 as we all know i am not very mature....

    Anti-Flag, Jul 3, 2003
  10. Bexley

    Rob Kelk Guest

    Anti-Flag <> wrote:
    > "Anti-Flag" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Rob: my apologies for the rudeness of my post, even though the beliefs in
    >>the post are what I see as true, I realise that my delivery of them was

    > rude,
    >
    >>and you have my apologies for that, that being said, id like to say more
    >>(yay!)

    It's okay - this is Usenet, and tempers often run high. I'm used to it.

    > #0.5 I assume that by "licenced" you mean legal or official releases.

    Yes.

    >>#1 ive never bought bootleg anime, as I never have money.

    > or, atleast a credet card, and if did by "bootleg" anime, id buy unlicensed,
    > fansubbd anime, or id buy the used licenced official releases anime at my
    > video store, or at the used video store or form myt frinds (this all makes
    > your prices go up more then piracy ever cold hope too.)

    Well, the used official releases has already been paid for by someone
    else, so the anime creators get a little bit of money from that. (The
    licence fee gets spread across the entire official DVD pressing run, so
    each official DVD puts a couple of dollars back into the licence fee
    fund. Those licence fees go back to the original anime studios, who use
    it to make more anime.)

    While fansubs are technically illegal, I don't have a problem with them
    if nobody charges any money for them (say, if they're downloaded from
    IRC). It's when people start charging for them, like the "Anime DVD
    Movies" people appear to be doing, that I get upset...

    >>#2 Company's use that excuse too much, the makers of CDs one said that
    >>bootlegs make the cost of the CDs prices, now the same company's might be
    >>owing CD buyers a lot of money for illegally boosting prices.

    There is a difference between CDs and DVDs, though. I can't see any
    reason why a single CD should cost more than about $US10, or maybe $US12
    for a niche release. Anything higher than that is just profiteering by
    somebody, IMHO. But DVDs cost more to make than CDs do - I'd expect to
    pay $US20-$US35 for one (the higher end being reserved for the DVDs with
    plenty of extras). Add in the licence fee that the official releasers
    have to pay the original anime companies so that *they* can afford to
    make more anime, and there's another $US2-$US5 per DVD...

    >>#3 as we all know I am not very mature....

    Who is? <grin>

    Rob Kelk, Jul 3, 2003
  11. Bexley

    Anti-Flag Guest

    "Rob Kelk" <> wrote in message
    > Anti-Flag <> wrote:
    > > "Anti-Flag" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Rob: my apologies for the rudeness of my post, even though the beliefs

    in
    > >>the post are what I see as true, I realise that my delivery of them was

    > > rude,
    > >
    > >>and you have my apologies for that, that being said, id like to say more
    > >>(yay!)

    > It's okay - this is Usenet, and tempers often run high. I'm used to it.
    >
    > > #0.5 I assume that by "licenced" you mean legal or official releases.

    > Yes.
    >
    > >>#1 ive never bought bootleg anime, as I never have money.

    > > or, atleast a credet card, and if did by "bootleg" anime, id buy

    unlicensed,
    > > fansubbd anime, or id buy the used licenced official releases anime at

    my
    > > video store, or at the used video store or form myt frinds (this all

    makes
    > > your prices go up more then piracy ever cold hope too.)

    > Well, the used official releases has already been paid for by someone
    > else, so the anime creators get a little bit of money from that. (The
    > licence fee gets spread across the entire official DVD pressing run, so
    > each official DVD puts a couple of dollars back into the licence fee
    > fund. Those licence fees go back to the original anime studios, who use
    > it to make more anime.)

    im just being a bitch now, but the bootleggers had to buy a dvd/vhs to copy
    it so they paid for the official releases, so some money goes back to the
    anime creators.

    Anti-Flag, Jul 3, 2003
  12. Bexley

    Rob Kelk Guest

    Anti-Flag <> wrote:
    > "Rob Kelk" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Anti-Flag <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >>Well, the used official releases has already been paid for by someone
    >>else, so the anime creators get a little bit of money from that. (The
    >>licence fee gets spread across the entire official DVD pressing run, so
    >>each official DVD puts a couple of dollars back into the licence fee
    >>fund. Those licence fees go back to the original anime studios, who use
    >>it to make more anime.)

    > im just being a bitch now, but the bootleggers had to buy a dvd/vhs to copy
    > it so they paid for the official releases, so some money goes back to the
    > anime creators.

    True, but then they go and flood the market with bootleg copies that
    don't give the studios any money. In extreme cases, the official anime
    releasers stop releasing anime on DVD altogether:
    <http://forums.animeondvd.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=region234&Number=87214&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post88862>

    <snip>

    Rob Kelk, Jul 4, 2003
  13. Bexley

    Bozobub Guest

    Erm. With DivX encoding (or similar, such as XviD) I can get about 4
    640x480 res - better than VHS, not as good as DVD's best - "1/2 hour" anime
    episodes on one CD (NOT DVD)... on 3 double-sided/hi-cap DVDs (around 8 Gig
    or so each?) 26 episodes at that res or betteris not too unreasonable.

    Peace

    Bozobub, Oct 14, 2003