Has anyone ever fixed this ...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sticky, May 15, 2005.

  1. Sticky

    Sticky Guest

    When I use an "open" dialogue box from any application to open a file
    in the "My Videos" folder the icons in the folder begin to show the
    thumbnails then the box abruptly closes and the app itself closes.

    Normally no error message is displayed except for some apps like
    Mozilla (Netscape Feddback agent) and others where the (useless)
    standard Windows error "send report" box pops up. Mostly nothing
    happens, no error, app closes.

    Google Groups show some people have had the same problems but it was
    never solved (except by a reinstall).

    I've tried copying the files to another folder and using that. This
    works but only to a point, it's still flacky and sometimes drops out.

    Apps still work ok using the right mouse "open with" or drag and drop.

    Tried a goback restore point, without success.

    wtf?

    Cheers - Jim
    Sticky, May 15, 2005

  2. Sticky

    Dave Guest

    "Sticky" <> wrote in message
    > When I use an "open" dialogue box from any application to open a file in
    > the "My Videos" folder the icons in the folder begin to show the
    > thumbnails then the box abruptly closes and the app itself closes.

    It sounds like it's not application specific as you can reproduce this using
    more than one application, is this correct?

    > Normally no error message is displayed except for some apps like Mozilla
    > (Netscape Feddback agent) and others where the (useless) standard Windows
    > error "send report" box pops up. Mostly nothing happens, no error, app
    > closes.

    > Google Groups show some people have had the same problems but it was never
    > solved (except by a reinstall).
    >
    > I've tried copying the files to another folder and using that. This works
    > but only to a point, it's still flacky and sometimes drops out.

    Can you narrow it down to a particular file or do you have too many files to
    attempt this?
    It might be that windies can't make a thumbnail image of a particular file
    and bombs the app out at that point.

    Try changing the open dialogue view to "list" or "details". What happens
    then?

    Dave, May 15, 2005

  3. On Mon, 16 May 2005 00:11:32 +1200, Sticky <> spoke
    these fine words:

    >When I use an "open" dialogue box from any application to open a file
    >in the "My Videos" folder the icons in the folder begin to show the
    >thumbnails then the box abruptly closes and the app itself closes.
    >
    >Normally no error message is displayed except for some apps like
    >Mozilla (Netscape Feddback agent) and others where the (useless)
    >standard Windows error "send report" box pops up. Mostly nothing
    >happens, no error, app closes.
    >
    >Google Groups show some people have had the same problems but it was
    >never solved (except by a reinstall).
    >
    >I've tried copying the files to another folder and using that. This
    >works but only to a point, it's still flacky and sometimes drops out.
    >
    >Apps still work ok using the right mouse "open with" or drag and drop.
    >
    >Tried a goback restore point, without success.
    >

    >wtf?

    Sounds like the Common Dialogs DLL might have become corrupted.

    First, I'd try a System File Check. Go to Start/Run, then type:

    SFC /scannow

    This should launch the System File Checker.

    If this doesn't fix it, see if you can grab a copy of comdlg32.dll and
    comdlg32.ocx from a mate with the same Windows version as you, and pop
    them into c:\windows\system (after backing up the existing files!!).
    You'll probably have to do this in Safe Mode.

    Let us know how you get on.
    H.O.G (House of Geek), May 15, 2005
  4. Sticky

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 00:11:32 +1200, Sticky wrote:

    > When I use an "open" dialogue box from any application to open a file
    > in the "My Videos" folder the icons in the folder begin to show the
    > thumbnails then the box abruptly closes and the app itself closes.
    >
    > Normally no error message is displayed except for some apps like
    > Mozilla (Netscape Feddback agent) and others where the (useless)
    > standard Windows error "send report" box pops up. Mostly nothing
    > happens, no error, app closes.
    >
    > Google Groups show some people have had the same problems but it was
    > never solved (except by a reinstall).
    >
    > I've tried copying the files to another folder and using that. This
    > works but only to a point, it's still flacky and sometimes drops out.
    >
    > Apps still work ok using the right mouse "open with" or drag and drop.
    >
    > Tried a goback restore point, without success.
    >

    > wtf?
    >
    > Cheers - Jim

    You may have a corrupt video file in that directory. Try moving them all
    some where else, and move them back one at a time, testing with your app
    each time. A process of elimination.

    Windows briefly opens the file when viewing it with windows explorer or a
    file selector box, and is not very good at handling corrupted video files
    when this happens. Especially if you have it set to thumbnail view.

    You might also try updating your codecs, as this may help. Download the
    newest version of the kazaa mega codec pack.

    Of course, your windows install could also be broken. But I suggest you try
    the above first, as it's easier to fix, and if IT is the problem no amount
    of windows reinstalls will help.

    --

    .... Brendan

    7936 +(3835)- [X]

    *** Quits: TITANIC (Excess Flood)

    Note: All my comments are copyright 16/05/2005 1:42:49 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, May 16, 2005
  5. On 16/05/2005 12:11 a.m., Sticky wrote:
    > When I use an "open" dialogue box from any application to open a file in
    > the "My Videos" folder the icons in the folder begin to show the
    > thumbnails then the box abruptly closes and the app itself closes.

    Assuming you are using Windows XP, you can try the following:

    %windir%\system32\regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll

    This should turn off the thumbnail viewer in the load/save dialogue. If
    it doesn't work, you can also try to turn off the thumbnails in explorer:

    %windir%\system32\regsvr32 /u browseui.dll

    To turn these services back on:

    cd %windir%\system32
    regsvr32 browseui.dll
    regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

    HTH,

    Martin
    Martin Kaufmann, May 16, 2005
  6. Sticky

    Sticky Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 May 2005 00:11:32 +1200, Sticky wrote:
    >

    >>When I use an "open" dialogue box from any application to open a file
    >>in the "My Videos" folder the icons in the folder begin to show the
    >>thumbnails then the box abruptly closes and the app itself closes.
    >>
    >>Normally no error message is displayed except for some apps like
    >>Mozilla (Netscape Feddback agent) and others where the (useless)
    >>standard Windows error "send report" box pops up. Mostly nothing
    >>happens, no error, app closes.
    >>
    >>Cheers - Jim

    > You may have a corrupt video file in that directory. Try moving them all
    > some where else, and move them back one at a time, testing with your app
    > each time. A process of elimination.
    >
    > Windows briefly opens the file when viewing it with windows explorer or a
    > file selector box, and is not very good at handling corrupted video files
    > when this happens. Especially if you have it set to thumbnail view.

    Brilliant! There was a tiny file there that opens perfectly with all
    other apps but shocks Explorer completely (or *any "open file"
    dialogue box).

    Others have suggested I shut down "thumbnail" view, this also fixes
    the problem. "My Videos" folder seems to think I want thumbnail view
    even though I've shut it down in every other Explorer view - why? It's
    a bloody nuisance really.

    > You might also try updating your codecs, as this may help. Download the
    > newest version of the kazaa mega codec pack.

    Tried that :)

    > Of course, your windows install could also be broken. But I suggest you try
    > the above first, as it's easier to fix, and if IT is the problem no amount
    > of windows reinstalls will help.

    Wonderful. Problem solved.

    I can't fault the file in any other app, including WMP, but the
    thumbnail view from Explorer can't handle it. VirtualDub tells me
    nothing odd. I can edit the file in any video editor with no errors.
    It's a "standard" KVCD file, and many of the others are an indentical
    format.

    How does Explorer handle videos in it's thumbnails?

    Many thanks to all.

    --
    Jim
    Sticky, May 16, 2005
  7. Sticky

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 18:10:20 +1200, Sticky wrote:

    >> Windows briefly opens the file when viewing it with windows explorer or a
    >> file selector box, and is not very good at handling corrupted video files
    >> when this happens. Especially if you have it set to thumbnail view.

    > Brilliant! There was a tiny file there that opens perfectly with all
    > other apps but shocks Explorer completely (or *any "open file"
    > dialogue box).

    It may have the wrong extender on it. Try changing it to avi, mpeg, asf,
    etc to see what works. Also try running it through 'g-spot' that comes with
    kazaa mega codec pack to ID the file for sure.

    > Others have suggested I shut down "thumbnail" view, this also fixes
    > the problem. "My Videos" folder seems to think I want thumbnail view
    > even though I've shut it down in every other Explorer view - why? It's
    > a bloody nuisance really.

    I would guess it's hard wired in he registry to do that for the My Video's
    folder. put them in some other folder and see if it does that.

    >> Of course, your windows install could also be broken. But I suggest you try
    >> the above first, as it's easier to fix, and if IT is the problem no amount
    >> of windows reinstalls will help.

    > Wonderful. Problem solved.

    Good.

    > I can't fault the file in any other app, including WMP, but the
    > thumbnail view from Explorer can't handle it. VirtualDub tells me
    > nothing odd. I can edit the file in any video editor with no errors.
    > It's a "standard" KVCD file, and many of the others are an indentical
    > format.

    Most players automatically correct for such minor faults, and so you see
    nothing.

    Try converting it to something else. sometimes this will show an error you
    might learn from.

    If it was me, I'd simply dump the file.

    > How does Explorer handle videos in it's thumbnails?

    It uses the installed codecs to decode a frame from the beginning of the
    file, and uses that as the thumbnail. I quite like it to do that myself.
    Can be handy.

    I use a program called xplorer2 instead of windows explorer. It's faster
    and better in most ways, yet compatible. It does not have this problem. You
    can also set it to show 'basic' icons - e.g. it does not read the file but
    gives it an icon based on it's extender. REALLY fast. Just what you want
    when you are dealing with folders with hundreds of files windows wants to
    open for their icons...

    Generally ignores windows's folder settings like thumbnail view (unless you
    set it to use them). Free for personal use, google for it.

    --

    .... Brendan

    126218 +(4236)- [X]

    <WiLdSeXyPrInCeSs> i luv guyz where would they be wifout us gals???
    <XeNoX> Still in the Garden Of Eden you gullible bitch.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 17/05/2005 2:02:00 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, May 16, 2005
  8. Sticky

    Sticky Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 May 2005 18:10:20 +1200, Sticky wrote:
    >>
    >>Wonderful. Problem solved.

    > Good.

    snip

    > If it was me, I'd simply dump the file.

    No matter, I can easily convert it - possibly even re-encoding it will
    do the trick.

    Did you see a doc on TV1 called "White Smoke"? It was about how they
    elect a new pope. A small clip of poor old Jean Paul laid out showed a
    very large blowfly crawling over his face. I clipped that bit out.

    That was the clip that stuffed Explorer.
    God was getting back at me :)

    > I use a program called xplorer2 instead of windows explorer. It's faster
    > and better in most ways, yet compatible. It does not have this problem. You

    Excellent advice - thanks.

    --
    Jim
    Sticky, May 17, 2005
  9. Sticky

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:03:35 +1200, Sticky wrote:

    > No matter, I can easily convert it - possibly even re-encoding it will
    > do the trick.

    Probably.

    > Did you see a doc on TV1 called "White Smoke"?

    No...

    > That was the clip that stuffed Explorer.
    > God was getting back at me :)

    Yes I - opps sorry "he" was ;)

    >> I use a program called xplorer2 instead of windows explorer. It's faster
    >> and better in most ways, yet compatible. It does not have this problem. You

    > Excellent advice - thanks.

    That's ok, bills in the mail ;)

    --

    .... Brendan

    127148 +(3480)- [X]

    <Ich> I have passed the transitional stage of internet geekhood
    <Ich> I was cashiering at work today, and was punching in the code for
    plums, which is 4040.
    <Ich> and the 0 key doesn't work this well, so I punched it in wrong.
    <Ich> and the machine flashed up "Item Not Found: 404"
    <Ich> and I actually laughed out loud

    Note: All my comments are copyright 17/05/2005 10:25:52 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, May 17, 2005