    of returning the movie to him and wait for Netflix to send me the
    widescreen cut...

    -Martin O'B
    Martin O'Brien, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Martin O'Brien

    Wade365 Guest

    << 2nd Harry Potter is the full screen version. Is this a
    P&S? or just open matte? >>

    More than likely a P&S.
    Wade365, Oct 20, 2003

  3. >I borrowed a bunch of movies from my brother, and noticed that his
    >copy of the 2nd Harry Potter is the full screen version. Is this a
    >P&S? or just open matte? I don't want to have to go through the hassle
    >of returning the movie to him and wait for Netflix to send me the
    >widescreen cut...

    Depends.

    On the end credits, if it says "Filmed in Panavision," then it likely was
    panned and scanned. Some clues as to how the film was photographed can lie in
    light glares from the sun for instance: if the glares are circular, then it's
    probably matted; if the glares are elliptical, then anamorphic lenses were used
    in principal photography.

    However, just because a film says "Panavision" doesn't mean that it was filmed
    in Panavision. Sometimes, Panavision equipment is used to make films in matted
    widescreen. Although, you can also have cameras from Arriflex and Otto Nemenz
    used for shooting matted widescreen as well.

    Another way to tell is to scrutinize both OAR and fullscreen versions,
    especially if the film's OAR was 2.35:1. If you can see more info on the top
    and bottom in the fullscreen version, it was matted widescreen. If you notice
    that the sides are cropped off to about half of the original frame in the
    fullscreen version, then it was dedicated widescreen.

    However, do note that the preferred presentation of the film will always be the
    OAR version. A film is composed with its intended aspect ratio in mind, so
    fullscreening the movie either through removing the mattes or panning and
    scanning will disrupt the cinematography, which is the frame's ability to give
    you good visual information to tell the story.

    In other words, films intended to be widescreen in the first place will be
    ruined when made into fullscreen. Likewise, films made for the academy format
    and the TV 4:3 format will be ruined when someone tries to make them look
    widescreen. It's always best to view something the way it was intended to be
    viewed. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 20, 2003
  4. Martin O'Brien

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Martin O'Brien" <> wrote in message
    > I borrowed a bunch of movies from my brother, and noticed that his
    > copy of the 2nd Harry Potter is the full screen version. Is this a
    > P&S? or just open matte? I don't want to have to go through the hassle
    > of returning the movie to him and wait for Netflix to send me the
    > widescreen cut...

    The Harry Potter movies are shot in Super35. The majority of live-action
    shots without special effects will likely be open matte, while most of
    the SFX scenes will probably have cropping.
    Joshua Zyber, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Martin O'Brien

    Jay G Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote ...
    > "Martin O'Brien" <> wrote ...
    > > I borrowed a bunch of movies from my brother, and noticed that his
    > > copy of the 2nd Harry Potter is the full screen version. Is this a
    > > P&S? or just open matte? I don't want to have to go through the hassle
    > > of returning the movie to him and wait for Netflix to send me the
    > > widescreen cut...

    > The Harry Potter movies are shot in Super35. The majority of live-action
    > shots without special effects will likely be open matte, while most of
    > the SFX scenes will probably have cropping.

    Not necessarily. Check this page:
    http://plum.cream.org/HP/dvd.htm

    Almost all the shots are recomposed, losing some image on the sides
    while gaining some at the top and bottom. Even the FX shots aren't
    a straight crop; they've been rendered for the recomposed frames.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Martin O'Brien

    Jim Fraas Guest

    Who cares?
    It is still not the ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO!

    --
    There's only one hope left for the Star Trek movie franchise.
    It is a letter located between P and R in the alphabet.

    Jim Fraas, Oct 25, 2003
  7. On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:25:21 GMT, "Jim Fraas" <>
    wrote:

    >Who cares?
    >It is still not the ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO!

    I care, since I borrowed the movie from someone, and it is a
    fullscreen copy. I can just about tolerate watching an open matte
    transfer, but P&S just empties my stomach.

    Before making asinine statements like you made above, maybe you should
    read the original post, which I wrote.

    -Martin O'B
    Martin O'Brien, Oct 26, 2003