Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle ???

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Gary, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    The "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle" DVD reminds me of how Bad Santa
    got hyped when the DVDs came out (Bad Santa/Bader Santa).

    This one also has two Widescreen Editions.

    (1) Rated R - 88 minutes (same runtime as the theatrical release of the
    movie.)

    (2) Unrated - 88 or 90 minutes (some dispute by reviewers as to the actual
    running time.)

    The three reviewers that I read, of the Extreme Unrated DVD version, never
    saw the movie in the theater. They have no idea if the Unrated one has more
    pure movie "running time" than the R Rated DVD. The IMDB says the theatrical
    release of the film ran 88 minutes. One thing is certain, there are more
    extras on the Unrated version and supposedly has an extreme commentary
    track.

    QUESTION:

    Does the Unrated DVD have some added footage that was edited out of the
    theatrical release of the film?

    Gary, Jan 1, 2005

  2. Gary

    Gary Guest

    More Info. I should have checked first. But I'm even more confused.

    http://www.newline.com/he/dvd/titles/haroldkumar.shtml

    The Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle Extreme Unrated DVD includes all of
    the above special features, as well as the features below (exclusive to the
    Extreme Unrated edition):

    Widescreen UNRATED version of the film "Extreme" outtakes
    All Too Much/"Yeah" music video
    Bonus "Extreme" commentary track by Danny Bouchard

    Run Time 88 Minutes [R-Rated DVD]
    88 Minutes [Extreme Unrated DVD]

    How can both the unrated and R rated versions be different and still have
    the same runtime? Unless they only added seconds of unrated frames to the
    rated edition.

    Gary, Jan 1, 2005

  3. Gary

    napalm68 Guest

    I guess just like american pie. It had the same running time I think, just a
    different shot with him mounting the pie or something

    napalm68, Jan 1, 2005
  4. Gary

    Lithurge Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in

    > More Info. I should have checked first. But I'm even more
    > confused.
    >
    > http://www.newline.com/he/dvd/titles/haroldkumar.shtml
    >

    > The Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle Extreme Unrated DVD
    > includes all of the above special features, as well as the
    > features below (exclusive to the Extreme Unrated edition):
    >
    > Widescreen UNRATED version of the film "Extreme" outtakes
    > All Too Much/"Yeah" music video
    > Bonus "Extreme" commentary track by Danny Bouchard
    >
    > Run Time 88 Minutes [R-Rated DVD]
    > 88 Minutes [Extreme Unrated DVD]
    >

    > How can both the unrated and R rated versions be different
    > and still have the same runtime? Unless they only added
    > seconds of unrated frames to the rated edition.

    Substitution?

    e.g. some shots in the R girl next door had bikini tops
    digitally painted on, whilst the unrated, obviously, didn't.

    It's the kind of trick you got used to under the BBFC.

    Lithurge, Jan 1, 2005
  5. Gary

    Gary Guest

    It would be interesting to have someone compare the two and detail what the
    differences are.

    Gary, Jan 1, 2005
  6. Gary

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <Xns95D1814B1E83Cds34543dsffds@130.133.1.4>, Lithurge
    <> wrote:

    > "Gary" <> wrote in
    >
    > > How can both the unrated and R rated versions be different
    > > and still have the same runtime? Unless they only added
    > > seconds of unrated frames to the rated edition.
    > >

    > Substitution?
    >
    > e.g. some shots in the R girl next door had bikini tops
    > digitally painted on, whilst the unrated, obviously, didn't.
    >
    > It's the kind of trick you got used to under the BBFC.

    In the olden days they actually filmed two versions, so no digital
    painting was needed. This was so you could still show it on tv while
    having the "big" scenes intact. This leads to a continuity error in
    Animal House, in the scene where Otter is making out with a girl in the
    car. In the R version she's topless, but when she jumps out she has the
    bra on she's wearing in the tv version.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Jan 1, 2005
  7. Gary

    napalm68 Guest

    Oh yeah, another example is the american "unrated" version of Dawn of the
    Dead (2004) where they digitally drench blood onto the car windscreen to
    obscure a pair of tits, and the amount of blood spoils continuity. Not to
    mention the actual unrated versions outside of the US had the tits and
    continuity.

    napalm68, Jan 1, 2005