Hardware Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Umlja2V5?=, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. I wish to upgrade my MB and CPU, my OS is set up in a raid array. If i change
    the motherboard then will i have to reinstall Windows

    =?Utf-8?B?Umlja2V5?=, Feb 8, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Umlja2V5?=

    Theo Guest

    Most likely. When you install Windows it requires hardware
    drivers for the configuration at the time it is installed
    and a new motherboard would probably have different hardware
    than your current one. This includes, but not limited to,
    the board chipset, sound chip, drive controller(chips),
    video card, etc.

    When you change the MB and try to boot from the hard drive
    Windows tries to load the drivers for your new hardware
    while also trying to load the drivers for the old hardware
    and there usually is a conflict. The result is usually a
    system crash and an inability to boot from that hard drive
    because of system corruption.

    Theo, Feb 8, 2007

  3. Thanks Theo,
    I was hoping to avoid this, the motherboard has the same chipset as the old
    one but it is a 939 where the old one is a 754. I have a large external
    drive, is there any way to back up the contents of my boot drive and restore
    them later?

    =?Utf-8?B?Umlja2V5?=, Feb 8, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Umlja2V5?=

    Theo Guest

    Details of the old and new MB would be useful.

    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard would be one way to
    transfer information between the two.

    Theo, Feb 8, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Umlja2V5?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I've had luck in the past running a Windows XP repair install immediately
    after moving the drive to a new PC. (In this case, replacing the
    motherboard with a different one would be like moving the drive to a new
    PC.)

    If you are using a RAID array, then you would also have to be able to set up
    the RAID array on the new board without losing data for this to have any
    chance of working. I guess that depends on what you are using for your
    RAID.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Feb 8, 2007
  6. Aaron's suggestion of a repair install is a good one. You'll need to have a
    floppy disk with your RAID controller driver available and press F6 when
    prompted to install the RAID drivers.

    If your RAID array is a different controller in the new system from the old,
    you may have issues. Please make sure you do a full and complete backup
    before you start - depending on the RAID type and controller, you may need
    to recreate the array from scratch.

    Whatever you do, you will need to re-activate Windows. Changing the
    motherboard will always trigger an activation event.

    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 8, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Umlja2V5?=

    Theo Guest

    I agree the Repair Install is worth trying, but I just moved
    a hard drive from a MSI K8T800 Neo FSR socket 754 board to a
    MSI K8T800Pro Neo2-F socket 939 board and trying to do the
    Repair Install failed to update the system. The system
    would crash during Windows boot so I finally gave up and did
    a clean install. When I started I thought there would be
    enough compatibility between the 2 boards to allow a Repair
    Install, but it didn't work.

    Theo, Feb 8, 2007
  8. Yes, that's certainly possible. But the potential savings make it worth the
    effort.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 8, 2007
  9. Thanks Guys,
    the new MB has the same chipset as the old one. The only difference is the
    old one is a socket 754 and the new is a socket 939. Both are MSI boards with
    the G force 4 chipset.

    =?Utf-8?B?Umlja2V5?=, Feb 9, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Umlja2V5?=

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    if its the same chipset, you should be good. The big problem with moving
    boards seems to be support for the disk controller.

    I recently took a drive from an XP system using a gigabyte Athlon XP 3200+,
    and attached it to an ASRock 939 board. It fired right up. Had to do a
    couple reboots for the new PNP devices to be detected and device support
    installed ... but largely it was seamless.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Feb 9, 2007
  11. I've noticed this too. Rebooting has it's own way of lining things up,
    sometimes. I had trouble once getting sufficient power to one device,
    without draining the rest. I disconnected everything, and moved all the
    connectors around and when I booted quite a number of those devices wasn't
    recognized, most importantly the RAID. Like you said: one warm and one
    cold-boot and everything was back in business.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 9, 2007
  12. I'm in the same boat except I'm on 939, abit fatal1ty an8 with an opteron 175
    and am moving to a msi p6n sli platinum with a c2d e6400 which also has an
    nforce chipset. I'm going to do like I've done in the past and remove any
    chip/mb specific drivers before shutting down to do the swap. I'm using
    retail ultimate so if it screws up I'll just do a clean install however I'd
    just like to swap my stuff out and not have to mess with the os installation
    plus the software.

    =?Utf-8?B?UHVmZm5zdHVmZg==?=, Apr 19, 2007