    machine and am wondering:

    Would I have to reinstall Windows 98 again? I know XP would require at
    least a repair but I'm not sure about 98.

    Ludwig77, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Ludwig77 wrote:

    > I'm upgrading the motherboard and CPU on my parent's ancient Win 98
    > machine and am wondering:
    >
    > Would I have to reinstall Windows 98 again? I know XP would require at
    > least a repair but I'm not sure about 98.

    There's some involved ways to do this, but I've had good luck just doing
    the swap and let 98 do it's auto-detect thing. Sometimes it takes
    several restarts. Afterwards check Device Manager to see if any devices
    are showing the yellow exclamation and find the drivers for them.
    Normally that'll be the driver disk that came with the motherboard.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Ludwig77

    old john Guest

    hello L..make sure you retain copies of any specific drivers for graphics,
    sound card etc, and any data you want to keep before you start, just in
    case..then go for it
    it worked for me 4 years ago, better safe than sorry..J

    old john, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Ludwig77

    Plato Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > > I'm upgrading the motherboard and CPU on my parent's ancient Win 98
    > > machine and am wondering:
    > >
    > > Would I have to reinstall Windows 98 again? I know XP would require at
    > > least a repair but I'm not sure about 98.
    > >

    > There's some involved ways to do this, but I've had good luck just doing
    > the swap and let 98 do it's auto-detect thing. Sometimes it takes

    In the worst case one deletes the ENUM branch of the registry. And then
    win9x has to detect all hardware fresh, including all cards plugged into
    the mobo.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 31, 2005
  5. Ludwig77

    Plato Guest

    Ludwig77 wrote:

    > I'm upgrading the motherboard and CPU on my parent's ancient Win 98
    > machine and am wondering:
    >
    > Would I have to reinstall Windows 98 again? I know XP would require at
    > least a repair but I'm not sure about 98.

    Most likely one can reboot after the new mobo is in and just let 98 find
    all the new resources.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 31, 2005
  6. Ludwig77

    Trent© Guest

    On 31 Mar 2005 06:23:17 -0800, "Ludwig77" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm upgrading the motherboard and CPU on my parent's ancient Win 98
    >machine and am wondering:
    >
    >Would I have to reinstall Windows 98 again? I know XP would require at
    >least a repair but I'm not sure about 98.

    You'll need the drivers/ install discs for any hardware that's newer
    than 98...which might be considerable on that system.

    At the least, you'll need the driver for your LAN...so you can jump
    out and get the latest drivers.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©