    Im looking around ,myself, but just in case anyone has an absolutely
    bloody fantastic link to look at.

    thanks
    Troglodyte, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Troglodyte

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Troglodyte" <> wrote in message
    news:41267e08$...
    > Hey all. I know I can search google as much as anyone else around

    here,
    > but if anyone knows of a link where a tutorial in hardware might be
    > found for downloading, could you advise ?
    >
    > Im looking around ,myself, but just in case anyone has an absolutely
    > bloody fantastic link to look at.
    >
    > thanks

    What hardware are you interested in exactly? Processors? Drives? Memory?
    Video?Peripherals? Everything?

    Are you looking for installation/upgrade how-to's or general
    information.
    Patrick Bold, Aug 21, 2004

  3. Troglodyte

    Troglodyte Guest

    Patrick Bold wrote:

    > "Troglodyte" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hey all. I know I can search google as much as anyone else around

    > here,
    >
    >>but if anyone knows of a link where a tutorial in hardware might be
    >>found for downloading, could you advise ?
    >>
    >>Im looking around ,myself, but just in case anyone has an absolutely
    >>bloody fantastic link to look at.
    >>
    >>thanks

    > What hardware are you interested in exactly? Processors? Drives? Memory?
    > Video?Peripherals? Everything?
    >
    > Are you looking for installation/upgrade how-to's or general
    > information.

    generally building a computer. Also, how things work. In short, Im
    interested in looking at everything.
    Troglodyte, Aug 21, 2004
  4. Troglodyte

    Troglodyte Guest

    Patrick Bold wrote:

    > "Troglodyte" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hey all. I know I can search google as much as anyone else around

    > here,
    >
    >>but if anyone knows of a link where a tutorial in hardware might be
    >>found for downloading, could you advise ?
    >>
    >>Im looking around ,myself, but just in case anyone has an absolutely
    >>bloody fantastic link to look at.
    >>
    >>thanks

    > What hardware are you interested in exactly? Processors? Drives? Memory?
    > Video?Peripherals? Everything?
    >
    > Are you looking for installation/upgrade how-to's or general
    > information.

    comparisons of hardware. motherboards makes and types. Plus what works
    with what. what cpu's go with what motherboard. What works together.
    What doesnt. Opinions on different types of hardware component.
    Speeds etc.
    Ive been involved with these critter for years, but generally a software
    guy. Now Im leaping into hardware as well. lol
    Troglodyte, Aug 21, 2004
  5. Troglodyte

    > Patrick Bold wrote:
    >

    > > What hardware are you interested in exactly? Processors? Drives?

    Memory?
    > > Video?Peripherals? Everything?
    > >
    > > Are you looking for installation/upgrade how-to's or general
    > > information.
    > >

    > comparisons of hardware. motherboards makes and types. Plus what

    works
    > with what. what cpu's go with what motherboard. What works

    together.
    > What doesnt. Opinions on different types of hardware component.
    > Speeds etc.
    > Ive been involved with these critter for years, but generally a

    software
    > guy. Now Im leaping into hardware as well. lol

    Here's a good starting place:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/

    Look for "Tom's Guides" for an introduction to various components. Also
    features a lot of comparative performance testing on processors,
    motherboards, etc.

    For drives, try here: http://www.storagereview.com/ . There's a
    "Reference Guide" to hard drives there, as well as the best performance
    database I've found anywhere.
    Patrick Bold, Aug 21, 2004
  6. Troglodyte

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <41267e08$>, says...
    > Hey all. I know I can search google as much as anyone else around here,
    > but if anyone knows of a link where a tutorial in hardware might be
    > found for downloading, could you advise ?
    >
    > Im looking around ,myself, but just in case anyone has an absolutely
    > bloody fantastic link to look at.
    >
    > thanks

    Try a google for "upgrading and repairing PCs" by Damn forgotten authors
    name. I used to have the hardcopy version and it was a handy hardware
    reference. Not a tutorial as such but a good refernce. There are online
    versions of it that are a version or two behind the latest hardcover
    edition. I think the publishers have one online.

    Google found it

    http://cma.zdnet.com/book/upgraderepair/ch08/ch08.htm

    HTH
    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Aug 21, 2004
  7. Troglodyte

    Troglodyte Guest

    bAZZ wrote:

    > In article <41267e08$>, says...
    >
    >>Hey all. I know I can search google as much as anyone else around here,
    >>but if anyone knows of a link where a tutorial in hardware might be
    >>found for downloading, could you advise ?
    >>
    >>Im looking around ,myself, but just in case anyone has an absolutely
    >>bloody fantastic link to look at.
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>

    > Try a google for "upgrading and repairing PCs" by Damn forgotten authors
    > name. I used to have the hardcopy version and it was a handy hardware
    > reference. Not a tutorial as such but a good refernce. There are online
    > versions of it that are a version or two behind the latest hardcover
    > edition. I think the publishers have one online.
    >
    > Google found it
    >
    > http://cma.zdnet.com/book/upgraderepair/ch08/ch08.htm
    >
    > HTH
    > bAZZ

    Bloody useful bazz. thanks for that
    Troglodyte, Aug 21, 2004
  8. Troglodyte

    Troglodyte Guest

    Patrick Bold wrote:

    > "Troglodyte" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Patrick Bold wrote:
    >>

    >>>What hardware are you interested in exactly? Processors? Drives?

    > Memory?
    >
    >>>Video?Peripherals? Everything?
    >>>
    >>>Are you looking for installation/upgrade how-to's or general
    >>>information.
    >>>

    >>comparisons of hardware. motherboards makes and types. Plus what

    > works
    >
    >>with what. what cpu's go with what motherboard. What works

    > together.
    >
    >> What doesnt. Opinions on different types of hardware component.
    >>Speeds etc.
    >>Ive been involved with these critter for years, but generally a

    > software
    >
    >>guy. Now Im leaping into hardware as well. lol

    > Here's a good starting place:
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/
    >
    > Look for "Tom's Guides" for an introduction to various components. Also
    > features a lot of comparative performance testing on processors,
    > motherboards, etc.
    >
    > For drives, try here: http://www.storagereview.com/ . There's a
    > "Reference Guide" to hard drives there, as well as the best performance
    > database I've found anywhere.

    thanks patrick. Very useful. thanks again
    Troglodyte, Aug 21, 2004
  9. Troglodyte wrote:
    >> Here's a good starting place:
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/
    >> For drives, try here: http://www.storagereview.com/

    > thanks patrick. Very useful. thanks again

    For a further look into hardware, try "tech report" and also "anandtech"
    a google of them will find them.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 21, 2004
  10. Troglodyte

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:55:48 +1200, Troglodyte <> wrote:

    >Patrick Bold wrote:
    >
    >> "Troglodyte" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hey all. I know I can search google as much as anyone else around

    >> here,
    >>
    >>>but if anyone knows of a link where a tutorial in hardware might be
    >>>found for downloading, could you advise ?
    >>>
    >>>Im looking around ,myself, but just in case anyone has an absolutely
    >>>bloody fantastic link to look at.
    >>>
    >>>thanks

    >> What hardware are you interested in exactly? Processors? Drives? Memory?
    >> Video?Peripherals? Everything?
    >>
    >> Are you looking for installation/upgrade how-to's or general
    >> information.
    >>

    >comparisons of hardware. motherboards makes and types. Plus what works
    >with what. what cpu's go with what motherboard. What works together.
    > What doesnt. Opinions on different types of hardware component.
    >Speeds etc.
    >Ive been involved with these critter for years, but generally a software
    >guy. Now Im leaping into hardware as well. lol

    Unbiased information is bloody hard to find. And what one person likes the next
    doesn't. Most reviews, while resonably in depth these days, still leave
    something out. There's usually something you get or don't get that you expected
    once you get the thing to play with yourself.

    I think in general i'm dissapointed with most hardware purchases i've made in
    recent times. Maybe i'm just expecting too much from it.

    Some recent purchases...

    Asus Mainboard -
    Gets the CRAP rating. Can't turn it off (it restarts), and turning it on is a
    real mission. It doesn't like my old SB PIC64 sound card either.
    I really didn't expect to have any problems with an Asus mainboard. I got it
    because i've purchased their stuff in the past and found it excellent. I wish
    i'd got a cheap board instead, and when I get the rest of the stuff I want it'll
    probably get replaced with something cheaper.

    Gigabyte R96XT graphics card - bloody awsome card - except for the cooling fan.
    This is my first experience with ATI (Radeon), and I wish I had gone that way
    earlier. I feed my video signal out ot a TV to watch music videos, and sometimes
    movies. The drivers are far superior to nVidia which required a 3rd party fix
    (TV Tool) to use. As to the cooling fan, i've stuck this thing into a near
    silent PC and the cooing fan on the video is very noisy. That was something I
    didn't expect. I'm wondering if I should replace it with a slower, lesser rated
    card without a fan onboard.

    Compro VideoMate Gold+ TV capture card -
    Got excellent ratings for it's picture quality, and it's a cheap card. The
    picture is good, but a brillient picture is absolutly useless if the sound is
    crap and that's the exact problem i've had with it. It's got NICAM ability
    onboard so I was expecting more. Using a 3rd party program, Fly 2000 TV, I get
    to more of the Philips chip settings on it and get it going better than with the
    program it comes with, but i'm still not happy. I was considering the Hauppauge
    WinTV PVR 250 but it doesn't seem to allow raw capture, you can only use it's
    hardware compression. I want the ability to capture raw and do a better quality
    compression (which takes more time). So it's back to plugging the VCR's audio
    into the line in.

    Seagate 200Gb Hard Drive. The drive itself runs sweet, but I couldn't install
    Windows XP to it. Seems Windows XP has issues with large drives. I've now got
    Win booting off an 80gig drive, and have done the patch and registry fix to stop
    it scrambling the data on the 200gb drive if it writes past 137gb (from memory).

    Lite-On 1213s DVD Writer - Seems okay so far. I was using an LG CD writer which
    has been absolutly brillient, so I nearly got their DVD writer. But seeing as
    Roger sings the praises of LiteOn so much in here I thought i'd give it a go.
    Craig Shore, Aug 23, 2004
  11. "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > Asus Mainboard -
    > Gets the CRAP rating. Can't turn it off (it restarts), and turning it on
    > is a
    > real mission. It doesn't like my old SB PIC64 sound card either.
    > I really didn't expect to have any problems with an Asus mainboard. I got
    > it
    > because i've purchased their stuff in the past and found it excellent. I
    > wish
    > i'd got a cheap board instead, and when I get the rest of the stuff I want
    > it'll
    > probably get replaced with something cheaper.

    What model was this?

    Andrew
    Andrew Bryson, Aug 28, 2004
  12. Troglodyte

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:43:38 +1200, "Andrew Bryson" <>
    wrote:

    >"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> Asus Mainboard -
    >> Gets the CRAP rating. Can't turn it off (it restarts), and turning it on
    >> is a
    >> real mission. It doesn't like my old SB PIC64 sound card either.
    >> I really didn't expect to have any problems with an Asus mainboard. I got
    >> it
    >> because i've purchased their stuff in the past and found it excellent. I
    >> wish
    >> i'd got a cheap board instead, and when I get the rest of the stuff I want
    >> it'll
    >> probably get replaced with something cheaper.

    >What model was this?
    >
    >Andrew

    Some VIA Crap no doubt.
    Karen Parker, Aug 28, 2004
  13. "Karen Parker" <> wrote in message

    > Some VIA Crap no doubt.

    Well thank you for that informed post Roger. You are a woman now? Was the
    operation painful?

    Andrew
    Andrew Bryson, Aug 28, 2004