    (can't get it on the cisco web site) for 3640 routers ?

    2) is it a problem to have different IOS versions in a network?

    thanks
    Fred, Nov 13, 2003

  2. In article <bp0ie7$bni$>,
    Fred <> wrote:
    :I have 2 questions

    :1) is there anybody who have the Hardware/Software compatibility matrix
    :(can't get it on the cisco web site) for 3640 routers ?

    It's much too big to type in. The Feature Navigator has listings
    starting at 11.2(5)P. Major releases supported on the 3640 include:

    11.2P, 11.3, 11.3T, 12.0, 12.0T, 12.1T, 12.2, 12.2T, 12.2YN,
    12.2YT, 12.2ZJ, 12.3, 12.3T .

    There are 301 individual releases listed for the 3640 in the FN.
    The latest couple are 12.3(5), and 12.3(4)T .
    --
    Rump-Titty-Titty-Tum-TAH-Tee -- Fritz Lieber
    Walter Roberson, Nov 13, 2003

  3. In article <bp100f$pd3$>,
    Fred <> wrote:
    >yes, I found that on cisco web site but, I would like to know which IOS
    >version use with a particular hardware version of 3640
    >I suppose that years after years, 3640 have not the same hardware, so I'll
    >can't use a recent IOS version on a 4 years old 3640 router? Is that right?

    When they change the hardware they give it a different model number. All
    3640's are the same hardware, and they all run the same IOS versions.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Level(3), Woburn, MA
    Barry Margolin, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Fred

    Fred Guest

    yes, I found that on cisco web site but, I would like to know which IOS
    version use with a particular hardware version of 3640
    I suppose that years after years, 3640 have not the same hardware, so I'll
    can't use a recent IOS version on a 4 years old 3640 router? Is that right?

    news: bp0j7e$c6l$...

    Fred, Nov 13, 2003
  5. In article <bp100f$pd3$>,
    Fred <> wrote:
    :yes, I found that on cisco web site but, I would like to know which IOS
    :version use with a particular hardware version of 3640
    :I suppose that years after years, 3640 have not the same hardware, so I'll
    :can't use a recent IOS version on a 4 years old 3640 router? Is that right?

    Any recent IOS should work on any 3640.

    When Cisco makes an incompatible change to a product, they EOS
    (End of Sale) the product and introduce a new one with almost the
    same name. For example, they discontinued the 3640 and introduced
    the 3640A.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/prod_bulletin09186a0080107b23.html
    --
    Feep if you love VT-52's.
    Walter Roberson, Nov 13, 2003
  6. Program ended abnormally on 13/11/2003 13:36, Due to a catastrophic Fred
    error:

    > Hi everybody!
    >
    > I have 2 questions
    >
    > 1) is there anybody who have the Hardware/Software compatibility matrix
    > (can't get it on the cisco web site) for 3640 routers ?

    This has already been answered.

    > 2) is it a problem to have different IOS versions in a network?

    Unless you use bleeding-edge features or features that have known issues with
    particular IOSes or hardware versions, no.

    At one point, we had routers with anything from 10.0(8) to 12.1(something)
    living quite happily together. Various security fixes and bug fixes have since
    then forced us to upgrade most of them, but there weren't any big concerns.

    This being said, it's smarter in the long run to regularly schedule upgrades.

    --
    Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
    flabreque | terrestrial intelligence is that they never
    Francois Labreque, Nov 14, 2003
  7. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Thank you everybody, I thought that router series have different hardware
    version

    news: DUZsb.17700$...

    Fred, Nov 15, 2003
  8. Fred

    Andre Beck Guest

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:
    > In article <bp100f$pd3$>,
    > Fred <> wrote:
    > :yes, I found that on cisco web site but, I would like to know which IOS
    > :version use with a particular hardware version of 3640
    > :I suppose that years after years, 3640 have not the same hardware, so I'll
    > :can't use a recent IOS version on a 4 years old 3640 router? Is that right?
    >
    > Any recent IOS should work on any 3640.
    >
    > When Cisco makes an incompatible change to a product, they EOS
    > (End of Sale) the product and introduce a new one with almost the
    > same name. For example, they discontinued the 3640 and introduced
    > the 3640A.

    But keep in mind that the 3620/3640 are almost pure chassis (they have
    a CPU and RAM/Flash, but not a single interface). So the individual
    36xx can have different IOS requirements compared to another individual
    due to the completely different NMs in there. A good example would be
    that VWIC-?MFT-E1 in a NM-2FE2W require a way newer IOS (for some time
    there wasn't any stable one, but I admit I haven't looked recently) than
    some older NMs. There even seem to be "forgotten" NMs/WICs which, though
    beeing quite old, were only supported in recent T-trains. The WIC-2T
    comes to mind...

    --
    The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

    -> Andre "ABPSoft" Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ Dresden, Germany, Spacetime <-
    Andre Beck, Nov 15, 2003