Hardware re-detection

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Carlos, Dec 17, 2007.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Here's my first suggestion for Santa Gates.
    Many of us here like to do hardware changes from time to time which require
    a re-installation of the whole OS (Vista) or a repair (XP).
    Wouldn't it be nice if, after changing the mobo (or even a HD), you would
    only have to put the Vista DVD on its drive and choose "Hardware re-detect"
    from the boot options?
    That would make Vista re-detect all the hardware and boot without the need
    of a fresh install.
    Same would apply to XP.
    Carlos

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/co...f3a&dg=microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    Carlos, Dec 17, 2007

  2. In XP it's called "Repair Install". And works just fine.

    Actually, in Vista and XP, depending on what you've changed, the chances are
    good that you won't have to do anything at all. As long as the hard disk is
    still seen as bootable, Vista should do a good job of re-finding the new
    hardware. And, of course, you won't even need to put a DVD in the drive -
    the files are on the HD in the first place.

    The issue comes in Vista when the HD needs a new driver.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 17, 2007

  3. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    Repair Install in XP is great but it erases all the updates back to those in
    the repair CD.
    I wish it would just leave everything, including updates, as they are.
    Mobo upgrade is the main issue here with Vista.
    If it just had a way to force the hardware re-detection...
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 18, 2007
  4. I would rather have to reinstall the updates. My thought is that if I am
    running a repair install I must be trying to solve a pretty serious problem.
    That means I want to know if a patch is problematical with the repaired OS.
    Anyway, the updates have to be applied in order to patch the OS.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 18, 2007
  5. Yup, I'm with you. At least as long as I have slipstreamed media up to the
    last SP level. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    >>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 18, 2007
  6. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    I certainly can't argue when Charlie and Colin team up together!
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 18, 2007