Hardware Question (Motherboards)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nik Schlein, Nov 13, 2004.

  1. Nik Schlein

    Nik Schlein Guest

    I am interested in building a new computer. I haven't built one in several
    years. My last being an AMD athalon 1.0ghz with 1gb of ram. I am thinking
    about getting a P4 system this time. I have a couple of questions regarding
    P4 motherboards. Please keep in mind, that I want this computer to.... kick
    people, slap people, make them say DAMN, throw your grandma down the steps
    type beefy crunch monster.

    1) Is the P4 socket 775 truly a faster chip or just a different design then
    the socket 478. And is it worth it?

    2) Who is(in your opinion and why) making the best motherboards for the
    properly named above CPU. I lean towards the Intel Motherboards with 925x
    chipsets, but is anyone else producing a great motherboard?

    3) I will be overclocking whatever system I build, and I will be purchasing
    a liquid cooling kit. Most of the kits I have looked at are compatible with
    a socket 478 designed CPU, do those also fit the Socket 775 if I where to go
    that route?

    4) How are you liking PCI express slots? Really better then AGP or should I
    hold off?

    5) Finally, I have always operated that the faster your hard drive the
    better the OS runs. I was going to purchase a 70gb 10k RPM SATA drive for
    the main drive then a 300gb second hard drive for other programs. Is this
    flawed logic? I only plan on installing the OS and frequently used software
    on the main(70) drive like: Office, Visual Studio, Adobe....

    Thanks for all the help guys.

    Nik Schlein, Nov 13, 2004