    Athlon XP 1800+, two drives 20Gb and 15Gb, Leadtek Nvidia based Gefore 4 MX
    video card, heaps of ram.

    I am as confused as a very confused person.
    Andrei Sharko, Nov 28, 2004

  2. Andrei Sharko

    HillBilly Guest

    > Athlon XP 1800+, two drives 20Gb and 15Gb, Leadtek Nvidia based Gefore 4
    MX
    > video card, heaps of ram.
    >
    > I am as confused as a very confused person.

    I'm not an expert.. but my feeling from past experience
    is that its either faulty memory or the video card.

    Can you swap any of these with others to see if
    the problem goes away ?
    HillBilly, Nov 28, 2004

  3. Andrei Sharko

    William Bell Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:41:39 +1300, "Andrei Sharko" <>
    wrote:

    >All problems come in two stages. First: what is the problem and second;
    >repair the known problem. I am at the first stage.
    >
    >Windows keeps shutting down and restarting. This always happens when
    >playing games such as BF1942, and often in others. I ran - or rather tried
    >to run Sandra - but it reset then too. In desperation I tried to reinstall
    >windows XP SP2 but it kept resetting then. So I concluded it was a hardware
    >problem. But running, say office software, no problem. So I concluded it
    >was a software problem.
    >
    >Athlon XP 1800+, two drives 20Gb and 15Gb, Leadtek Nvidia based Gefore 4 MX
    >video card, heaps of ram.
    >
    >I am as confused as a very confused person.

    Its usually a Heat thing that show up when running extensive action games,
    or a PSU that can't hack it.
    William Bell, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Andrei Sharko wrote:
    > All problems come in two stages. First: what is the problem and second;
    > repair the known problem. I am at the first stage.
    >
    > Windows keeps shutting down and restarting. This always happens when
    > playing games such as BF1942, and often in others. I ran - or rather tried
    > to run Sandra - but it reset then too. In desperation I tried to reinstall
    > windows XP SP2 but it kept resetting then. So I concluded it was a hardware
    > problem. But running, say office software, no problem. So I concluded it
    > was a software problem.
    >
    > Athlon XP 1800+, two drives 20Gb and 15Gb, Leadtek Nvidia based Gefore 4 MX
    > video card, heaps of ram.
    >
    > I am as confused as a very confused person.

    BF1942 is an intensive game, so it could be that your PC is overheating.

    Does it just crash to desktop ? - usually video driver problem, esp on
    the map Market Garden, or with Desert Combat

    Or does it freeze ? - usually video driver problem

    Or does the whole system reboot by itself ? - usually overheating

    What drivers are you running ? There's also a good site
    www.gpforums.co.nz run by gameplanet that have people who might be able
    to help (need to register to post a message).
    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Nov 28, 2004
  5. Andrei Sharko

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:41:39 +1300, Andrei Sharko wrote:

    > All problems come in two stages. First: what is the problem and second;
    > repair the known problem. I am at the first stage.
    >
    > Windows keeps shutting down and restarting. This always happens when
    > playing games such as BF1942, and often in others. I ran - or rather
    > tried to run Sandra - but it reset then too. In desperation I tried to
    > reinstall windows XP SP2 but it kept resetting then. So I concluded it
    > was a hardware problem. But running, say office software, no problem. So
    > I concluded it was a software problem.
    >
    > Athlon XP 1800+, two drives 20Gb and 15Gb, Leadtek Nvidia based Gefore 4
    > MX video card, heaps of ram.
    >
    > I am as confused as a very confused person.

    Sounds like hardware to me. Software problems don't really cause resets
    these days - at the most they would cause BSODs, but that would have to be
    drivers or the OS to cause those rather than apps.

    My guesses would be things like the cpu overheating, faulty ram, or the
    power supply.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 28, 2004
  6. In article <9Kqqd.15224$>,
    says...
    > All problems come in two stages. First: what is the problem and second;
    > repair the known problem. I am at the first stage.
    >
    > Windows keeps shutting down and restarting. This always happens when
    > playing games such as BF1942, and often in others. I ran - or rather tried
    > to run Sandra - but it reset then too. In desperation I tried to reinstall
    > windows XP SP2 but it kept resetting then. So I concluded it was a hardware
    > problem. But running, say office software, no problem. So I concluded it
    > was a software problem.
    >
    > Athlon XP 1800+, two drives 20Gb and 15Gb, Leadtek Nvidia based Gefore 4 MX
    > video card, heaps of ram.
    >
    > I am as confused as a very confused person.

    I recently installed SP2 on my system and - lo and behold - I started to
    get symptoms exactly like you are describing. Several spontanous resets
    during game-playing, one while online, games that had previously never
    ever shown sign of a bug would experience crashes to desktop ... my
    guess is it could be some layer between SP2 and DirectX that may be
    causing this. Since I have uninstalled SP2 things have improved
    considerably.

    -Peter

    --
    ***************
    direct replies to peters[underscore]spambot[at]
    Peter Huebner, Nov 28, 2004
  7. Andrei Sharko

    impossible Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:41:39 +1300, Andrei Sharko wrote:
    >
    >> All problems come in two stages. First: what is the problem and second;
    >> repair the known problem. I am at the first stage.
    >>
    >> Windows keeps shutting down and restarting. This always happens when
    >> playing games such as BF1942, and often in others. I ran - or rather
    >> tried to run Sandra - but it reset then too. In desperation I tried to
    >> reinstall windows XP SP2 but it kept resetting then. So I concluded it
    >> was a hardware problem. But running, say office software, no problem.
    >> So
    >> I concluded it was a software problem.
    >>
    >> Athlon XP 1800+, two drives 20Gb and 15Gb, Leadtek Nvidia based Gefore 4
    >> MX video card, heaps of ram.
    >>
    >> I am as confused as a very confused person.

    > Sounds like hardware to me. Software problems don't really cause resets
    > these days - at the most they would cause BSODs, but that would have to be
    > drivers or the OS to cause those rather than apps.
    >
    > My guesses would be things like the cpu overheating, faulty ram, or the
    > power supply.

    I agree, especially since you only see the problem when your system is
    stressed. But just to be sure you've covered all the bases, check that you
    have all the latest drivers installed for your video card and motherboard,
    that your system is clean of spyware, that you have plenty of free space on
    your hard drive, that your virtual drive settings are geneous, and that
    you're not running resource-hungry processes of any kind in the background.

    Assuming your motherboard has built-in temp/voltage/fan-speed monitoring
    capability, you could get yourself a copy of the free SpeedFan tool
    (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) and log what's happening under
    different conditions. Then post your results here. If your motherboard
    doesn't have monitoring capability, it'll be harder to pin things down --
    you might want to post more details about your hardware: motherboard
    make/model, psu brand and capacity, ram type and configuration.
    impossible, Nov 28, 2004
  8. On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:41:39 +1300, Andrei Sharko wrote:

    > All problems come in two stages. First: what is the problem and second;
    > repair the known problem. I am at the first stage.
    >
    > Windows keeps shutting down and restarting. This always happens when
    > playing games such as BF1942, and often in others. I ran - or rather tried
    > to run Sandra - but it reset then too. In desperation I tried to reinstall
    > windows XP SP2 but it kept resetting then. So I concluded it was a hardware
    > problem. But running, say office software, no problem. So I concluded it
    > was a software problem.
    >
    > Athlon XP 1800+, two drives 20Gb and 15Gb, Leadtek Nvidia based Gefore 4 MX
    > video card, heaps of ram.
    >
    > I am as confused as a very confused person.

    Well have you:

    1) Installed the latest Nvidia drivers and motherboard drivers? And
    possibly sound card drivers.

    2) Install something like Motherboard Monitor:
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

    to make sure it isn't heat

    3) Test your hard drives for bad sectors and memory for faults.
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    4) Check that your ideo ard isn't getting far too hot and try swapping it
    with a friends card.

    5) Check for viruses and spyware....
    wogers nemesis, Nov 29, 2004
  9. Andrei Sharko

    S Roby Guest

    I vote for blown/faulty caps on the m/b.
    Have a look & see if any are buldging at the top.

    What brand PC & what brand/model motherboard: some are known to have
    cap problems (PC Company/ECS)
    S Roby, Nov 29, 2004
  10. Andrei Sharko

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:14:24 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >I vote for blown/faulty caps on the m/b.
    >Have a look & see if any are buldging at the top.
    >
    >What brand PC & what brand/model motherboard: some are known to have
    >cap problems (PC Company/ECS)

    I vote for PSU.
    Craig Shore, Nov 29, 2004
  11. Andrei Sharko

    Baloo Guest

    My vote, try the easiest first, check for sypware and virus activity with
    two or more andti spyware programs, a local virus scan and a couple of net
    ones.

    But I tend to agree, it could be a PS, heat issue or motherboard or RAM.

    Warren

    Baloo, Nov 30, 2004
  12. Thanks for your help guys - I try try bit by bit.

    Andrei Sharko, Nov 30, 2004