Hardware not working after international travel!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Arijit, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Arijit

    Arijit Guest

    Hi,

    This might not be the right group to post this message - please direct
    me to the right group, if so!

    I am getting some strange issues with my computer hardware after my
    international travel. I had my ADSL modem, DLink wireless router and
    DVD writer in my check-in luggage. After I reached my destination none
    of these are working. It turns on okay after applying power, but it
    does not do anything else.

    Modem is not able to connect to internet. Router is not able create
    LAN. It does not assign any IP to connected computers or computer is
    not able to connect to it. DVD writer is not detecting any CD or DVD,
    even though my computer detects it as external DVD writer.

    My question is - is anybody aware of anything that might have caused
    this problem during my travel? All luggages go through strong magnetic
    field for security check of international passengers. I assumed it
    would not cause any problem as there is no magnetic disk/media for
    these devices. I tried to 'reset' these devices, upgraded firmware for
    DVD writer (thinking if somehow that got 'corrupted' for some reason!),
    but no good.

    Can anyone suggest any solution or can give any idea of how all these
    devices can go wrong at the same time?? One point, whatever items I had
    with me as carry-on luggage (laptop, etc) work perfect. These went
    through only X-ray check.

    Any kind of help will be appreciated.

    Arijit.

    Arijit, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Arijit

    Erick Guest

    It's not likely that any of the screening machines caused the issues, as
    most are tuned not to (in order to avoid lawsuits mainly). The most likely
    cuplrit would be mishandling during transit. Considering it's several pieces
    not working, it's very likely.

    Another possible cause would be power. Many countries use different voltages
    (ie: Eurpose uses 220 volt, while the US uses 110 volt). Have you made sure
    that any voltage regulator switches are set to 110 volts?

    Erick, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Arijit

    Arijit Guest

    Hi Eric,

    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using the proper voltage. Few are
    designed for both valtage ranges, for others I am using voltage
    regulator.

    Arijit, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Arijit

    Erick Guest

    Sounds like a mishandling issue then. sorry about your luck, but airline
    backage employees typically throw stuff.

    Erick, Jan 9, 2006
  5. Arijit

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Arijit wrote:
    > Hi Eric,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using the proper voltage. Few are
    > designed for both valtage ranges, for others I am using voltage
    > regulator.

    Just wondering, why would you take an ADSL modem overseas with you?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Jan 9, 2006
  6. Arijit

    Arijit Guest

    Well, I was moving to a different country and was carrying my stuff
    along with me! My bad luck :-(

    Arijit, Jan 11, 2006