    with 2 passes to get it best fitting.

    Diskspace is a non-issue, I already do this with the BT878 card.

    Also anyone do a card with RGB or even component inputs?

    richard, Sep 22, 2004

  2. richard

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:14:01 +1200, richard <> wrote:

    >Time has come to retire the bt878 card.
    >
    >Im looking at the hauppague 250 as a viable purchase, but one thing bothers me.

    Save Money and get the Pixelview as its only about $180, yes it does have a
    Mpeg II encoder.

    PixelView PlayTV@P7000

    http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/products/multimedia/PixelView

    Karen Parker, Sep 22, 2004

  3. richard

    JohnO Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > Time has come to retire the bt878 card.
    >
    > Im looking at the hauppague 250 as a viable purchase, but one thing
    > bothers me.
    >
    > Can it do uncompressed capture? If Im recording something to keep, I would
    > not want to have to decompress it to edit out the advertisements and then
    > recompress with 2 passes to get it best fitting.

    No, the PVR250 cannot capture anything other than MPEG2.

    However you can edit out advertisments in MPEG files. See something like
    http://VirtualDubMod.sourceforge.net

    > Diskspace is a non-issue, I already do this with the BT878 card.
    >
    > Also anyone do a card with RGB or even component inputs?

    Not that I've seen.

    JohnO, Sep 22, 2004
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    > No, the PVR250 cannot capture anything other than MPEG2.
    >
    > However you can edit out advertisments in MPEG files. See something like
    > http://VirtualDubMod.sourceforge.net

    Everytime I have tried to work on mpeg files without totally decompressing first
    in virtual dub I have sync issues. Actually, I have had issues with virtualdub
    even on non-compressed files.

    I dont want to be double compressing things when I take it to VBR to put on disc
    a second time.

    >>Also anyone do a card with RGB or even component inputs?

    > Not that I've seen.

    Seems stupid to me...

    richard, Sep 22, 2004
  5. richard

    JohnO Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > JohnO wrote:
    >
    >> No, the PVR250 cannot capture anything other than MPEG2.
    >>
    >> However you can edit out advertisments in MPEG files. See something like
    >> http://VirtualDubMod.sourceforge.net

    > Everytime I have tried to work on mpeg files without totally decompressing
    > first in virtual dub I have sync issues. Actually, I have had issues with
    > virtualdub even on non-compressed files.
    >
    > I dont want to be double compressing things when I take it to VBR to put
    > on disc a second time.

    I have'nt had that much experience with that. I have used this one though:
    MPEG Video Wizard from www.womble.com. Not free, but there is a time limited
    evaluation download.
    .... and it seems to work well enough.

    >>>Also anyone do a card with RGB or even component inputs?

    >> Not that I've seen.

    > Seems stupid to me...

    Yes, it is a bit odd. I guess the market is totally skewed towards recording
    TV broadcasts and most settop boxes don't have component or RGB output?

    JohnO, Sep 22, 2004
  6. richard

    theseus Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > Time has come to retire the bt878 card.
    >
    > Im looking at the hauppague 250 as a viable purchase, but one thing
    > bothers me.
    >
    > Can it do uncompressed capture? If Im recording something to keep, I would
    > not want to have to decompress it to edit out the advertisements and then
    > recompress with 2 passes to get it best fitting.
    >
    > Diskspace is a non-issue, I already do this with the BT878 card.
    >
    > Also anyone do a card with RGB or even component inputs?

    The PVR 250 only does compressed video.
    There are more recent chipsets than the BT 878 now that will still be on
    cheap tuner cards. The Philips SAA7130 on the Flyvideo range is still really
    cheap, or there is the Leadtek Winfast PVR2000 which is the conexant
    CX23880/CX23416 which I believe will allow you to compress in hardware or
    software.
    For component capture cards you are into pro gear manufacturers such as
    http://www.blackmagic-design.com/ who make the Decklink SP which you can buy
    from DVT. or a Matrox Digisuite
    Most pros bypass analogue entirely if possible but these cards are used to
    capture from analogue betacam vcrs

    theseus, Sep 22, 2004
  7. richard

    richard Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    >>>Not that I've seen.

    >>Seems stupid to me...

    > Yes, it is a bit odd. I guess the market is totally skewed towards recording
    > TV broadcasts and most settop boxes don't have component or RGB output?

    Ones in the states have component out on some of the sat boxes, and the shitty
    boxes sky give us here in NZ will do rgb on the scart, so there is definatly
    sources that do it.

    richard, Sep 22, 2004