    formating"?

    Thank you in advance for help
    heyoo
    Alojzy Majchrzak, Jun 18, 2009

  2. Alojzy Majchrzak

    JD Guest

    Alojzy Majchrzak wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I have bought a 1 TB hardware, but it had FAT32 system files.
    > I wanted NTFS system files, so I decided to make format.
    > I did it, but I didn`t check "fast formatting" on Windows XP Home Edition
    > format window. It was formatting for nearly 4 hours!
    >
    > Is it big difference between "fast hardware formating" and "normal hardware
    > formating"?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for help
    > heyoo

    Hi there

    there's no difference between Fast format and a "Full" format, a Fast
    format clears the boot sector and the "mapping" sector, whereas the Full
    format does the same but ALSO checks the entire drive for errors.

    in summery

    Q: "what's the difference between fast hardware formatting and hardware
    formatting"?

    A: "about 3 hours 58 minutes"

    JD
    JD, Jun 18, 2009

  3. Alojzy Majchrzak

    - Bobb - Guest

    I disagree with JD.

    You had a FAT32 drive. If XP or earlier,
    Format/q = Quick format. That is a formatting option that creates a new file
    table on a hard disk but does not fully overwrite or erase the disk. A
    "full" (non-quick) format fully erases any existing data on the hard disk.

    To get it to be NTFS, you have to reformat the sectors/headers for new
    cluster sizes,etc.
    A full format overwrites each sector - allowing you to mess with the
    structure of the drive.

    If VISTA:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941961
    The format command behavior has changed in Windows Vista. By default in
    Windows Vista, the format command writes zeros to the whole disk when a full
    format is performed. In Windows XP and in earlier versions of the Windows
    operating system, the format command does not write zeros to the whole disk

    - Bobb -, Jun 24, 2009
  4. Alojzy Majchrzak

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: Re: hardware formatting normal or fast

    "Ardent" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:03:09 -0400, "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>You had a FAT32 drive. If XP or earlier,

    > XP will install and work in FAT32 as well as FAT16, I have personally
    > tried both - the caveat is FAT\T16 has a 2gb limit.
    >
    > Unless one has files larger than 4 gb it is convenient to use FAT32 so
    > that in case of any problem you can boot with a DOS CD and work on the
    > HD
    >
    >>Format/q = Quick format. That is a formatting option that creates a new
    >>file
    >>table on a hard disk but does not fully overwrite or erase the disk.
    >>A "full" (non-quick) format fully erases any existing data on the hard
    >>disk.

    > A full format does not erase any data - it only checks the sectors. If
    > you are in doubt switch off the machine half way through the full
    > format. On restarting you will find the disk was having all the data -
    > nothing was erased.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > Archer
    >
    > Hard Disk Management - Links to Free DOS utilities
    > http://members.tripod.com/~diligent/harddisk.htm

    But he's going from FAT32 to NTFS - can't "quick format".
    Right ? That was his question originally - why it took so long.
    - Bobb -, Jun 26, 2009