    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=35435

    i suck at this kinda stuff as you all know
    perhaps CJ could bestow some workgroup manager saavy upon me? im lost

    E. Nigma, Aug 26, 2004

  2. E. Nigma

    Leythos Guest

    In article <cglgqd$6g2$>, says...
    > I probably wont need one here, going to uni in a month anyway
    > But at uni, would it be wise to have one to protect my computer from
    > intrusion from others on the same network? (my comp will be wired into
    > the university network 24/7 in my hall room)
    >
    > something like this maybe?
    > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=35435
    >
    > i suck at this kinda stuff as you all know
    > perhaps CJ could bestow some workgroup manager saavy upon me? im lost

    Get a linksys router and install the Campus connection on the WAN port
    and your computer on the LAN port. Cheap, $50 solution. It also protects
    you from your roommates. Make sure that you change the default password.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Aug 26, 2004

  3. E. Nigma

    Chuck Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:24:00 GMT, Leythos <> wrote:

    >In article <cglgqd$6g2$>, says...
    >> I probably wont need one here, going to uni in a month anyway
    >> But at uni, would it be wise to have one to protect my computer from
    >> intrusion from others on the same network? (my comp will be wired into
    >> the university network 24/7 in my hall room)
    >>
    >> something like this maybe?
    >> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=35435
    >>
    >> i suck at this kinda stuff as you all know
    >> perhaps CJ could bestow some workgroup manager saavy upon me? im lost

    >Get a linksys router and install the Campus connection on the WAN port
    >and your computer on the LAN port. Cheap, $50 solution. It also protects
    >you from your roommates. Make sure that you change the default password.

    Change the LAN IP address too. Prevents the Linksys long URL denial of service
    lockup that attacks by the LAN port.
    <http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-06-03&isc=34a0e9b1547e3f087318fc1b55d1aca3>

    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Aug 26, 2004
  4. E. Nigma

    dono Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:24:00 GMT, Leythos <> wrote:

    >Get a linksys router and install the Campus connection on the WAN port
    >and your computer on the LAN port. Cheap, $50 solution. It also protects
    >you from your roommates. Make sure that you change the default password.

    #####################################
    I paid $65.

    dono, Aug 27, 2004
  5. E. Nigma

    Quaoar Guest

    "dono" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:24:00 GMT, Leythos <> wrote:
    >
    >>Get a linksys router and install the Campus connection on the WAN port
    >>and your computer on the LAN port. Cheap, $50 solution. It also
    >>protects
    >>you from your roommates. Make sure that you change the default
    >>password.

    > #####################################
    > I paid $65.

    You paid $15 too much.

    Quaoar, Aug 27, 2004
  6. E. Nigma

    Chuck Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 02:41:33 GMT, dono <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:24:00 GMT, Leythos <> wrote:
    >
    >>Get a linksys router and install the Campus connection on the WAN port
    >>and your computer on the LAN port. Cheap, $50 solution. It also protects
    >>you from your roommates. Make sure that you change the default password.

    >I paid $65.

    I paid $70 for a BEFSX41. Which Linky model did you get for $65?

    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Aug 27, 2004