    I thought that for outbound threats perhaps an antitrojan or antivirus will
    be well enough.

    Thanks!
    news, Jun 27, 2004

  2. news

    Mike Guest

    news wrote:
    > I can´t find any tests using hacking atempts for "hardware" firewalls. Do
    > you know if there are any published?

    Visit www.watchguard.com. There is a very good 'showdown' video which
    shows some attempts on various hardware firewalls.

    > The advantage with using a "hardware" firewall is that it works on a
    > separated and more secured OS??

    Yup, plus the fact that a stupid user is not allowed anywhere near it.

    > It´s the same thing as placing a 386 with Linux and a software firewall
    > between internet and the pc you use?

    Pretty much so. The Watchguards run a hardend *nux OS.

    > I thought that for outbound threats perhaps an antitrojan or antivirus will
    > be well enough.

    Nope.

    ------------------------------------

    Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be
    blacklisted.
    Mike, Jun 28, 2004

  3. news

    news Guest

    "Mike" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > news wrote:
    > > I can´t find any tests using hacking atempts for "hardware" firewalls.

    Do
    > > you know if there are any published?

    > Visit www.watchguard.com. There is a very good 'showdown' video which
    > shows some attempts on various hardware firewalls.
    >

    > > The advantage with using a "hardware" firewall is that it works on a
    > > separated and more secured OS??

    > Yup, plus the fact that a stupid user is not allowed anywhere near it.
    >

    > > It´s the same thing as placing a 386 with Linux and a software firewall
    > > between internet and the pc you use?

    > Pretty much so. The Watchguards run a hardend *nux OS.
    >
    > > I thought that for outbound threats perhaps an antitrojan or antivirus

    will
    > > be well enough.

    > Nope.

    Thanks!

    Why don´t you think some malware protection is enough for outbound
    communication? How about system monitoring like Process guard?
    news, Jun 28, 2004
  4. news

    Mike Guest

    news wrote:
    > Why don´t you think some malware protection is enough for outbound
    > communication? How about system monitoring like Process guard?

    Because software running on a machine can be compromised. I cant count
    the number of times I seen AV software bypassed and trojan detection
    software completely miss trojans.

    Social engineering plays a big part. All one needs to do is send a
    correctly crafted email that tells the user to do something and they
    will turn off their protection just to read that 'Joke' or get the 'fr33
    p0rn' or the latest Kylie CD.

    Can't actually recall the last time a hardware firewall did any of that.

    --

    Mike, Jun 30, 2004