hardware failure during ping

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. Im trying to figure out a network problem Im having, but really have no
    idea where to start.

    I have a dlink 520+ WLAN card in my PC, and Im having random dropouts.

    I have been pinging another machine on the network(one known to be
    without a problem), and have got this sofar.

    Ping statistics for 172.16.10.12:
    Packets: Sent = 10351, Received = 10030, Lost = 321 (3% loss),
    Control-Break

    Most of the failures seem to be "Hardware failure." according to the log
    it has created.

    Now I have seen this error while using dialup, and it seemed to happen
    when the modem was just about to disconnect, but with (W)NIC's I have no
    idea.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 11, 2004

  2. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:03:59 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Im trying to figure out a network problem Im having, but really have no
    >idea where to start.
    >
    >I have a dlink 520+ WLAN card in my PC, and Im having random dropouts.
    >
    >I have been pinging another machine on the network(one known to be
    >without a problem), and have got this sofar.
    >
    >Ping statistics for 172.16.10.12:
    > Packets: Sent = 10351, Received = 10030, Lost = 321 (3% loss),
    >Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    > Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 237ms, Average = 8ms
    >Control-Break
    >
    >Most of the failures seem to be "Hardware failure." according to the log
    >it has created.
    >
    >Now I have seen this error while using dialup, and it seemed to happen
    >when the modem was just about to disconnect, but with (W)NIC's I have no
    >idea.

    Is one end set to half-duplex and the other to full-duplex? I'd expect
    to see more errors if that is so, but it's worth a check. What sort of
    hub/switch do you have?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    that I could cope with twice.

    Enkidu, Jan 12, 2004

  3. Enkidu wrote:
    >>Most of the failures seem to be "Hardware failure." according to the log
    >>it has created.
    >>Now I have seen this error while using dialup, and it seemed to happen
    >>when the modem was just about to disconnect, but with (W)NIC's I have no
    >>idea.

    > Is one end set to half-duplex and the other to full-duplex? I'd expect
    > to see more errors if that is so, but it's worth a check. What sort of
    > hub/switch do you have?

    Both Wireless, no duplex settings... I know duplex mismatch when I see
    it(heaps of it with newer machines using old cables)

    The wireless router was a Dlink(fairly high end one) of some
    description, it's ~2km away(line of site), we have since switched it for
    another one(cant remember the brand/model), and the problems seem to be
    mostly gone, not completely.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 12, 2004
  4. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    E. Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Im trying to figure out a network problem Im having, but really have no
    > idea where to start.
    >
    > I have a dlink 520+ WLAN card in my PC, and Im having random dropouts.
    >
    > I have been pinging another machine on the network(one known to be
    > without a problem), and have got this sofar.
    >
    > Ping statistics for 172.16.10.12:
    > Packets: Sent = 10351, Received = 10030, Lost = 321 (3% loss),
    > Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    > Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 237ms, Average = 8ms
    > Control-Break
    >
    > Most of the failures seem to be "Hardware failure." according to the log
    > it has created.
    >
    > Now I have seen this error while using dialup, and it seemed to happen
    > when the modem was just about to disconnect, but with (W)NIC's I have no
    > idea.

    I have seen this with a corrupted install of Zonealarn and also with and
    incomplete uninstall of ZA.
    E.

    E., Jan 12, 2004
  5. Found the cause Re: hardware failure during ping

    E. wrote:
    > I have seen this with a corrupted install of Zonealarn and also with and
    > incomplete uninstall of ZA.

    This was on a new OS install, and the problem was with the new drivers
    introducing an option to use both antenna rather than just one. It only
    has one, so I assume it went something like this.
    It got connected on ant1, switched to ant2, it dropped the signal, and
    switched back to ant1, repeat ad infinium...

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 12, 2004