Hardware Based Sniffer

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by David Coe, Mar 17, 2005.

  1. David Coe

    David Coe Guest

    Folks

    I work in a lab and I have the following requirement that I am having
    trouble finding a vendor whose equipment will support. I need:
    1. a Gig-Ether hardware based data capturing device,
    2.for IPv6 / IPv4,
    3.capable of deep packet inspection,
    4.has a capability to be controlled via a TCL/TK (so I would like one who
    has libraries that I can utilize),
    5.and who can store data for a period of time but can also through another
    port (not connected to the network under test) also off-load the captured
    data to a storage server via TCL/TK.
    6. MPLS, VoIP
    7. Bonus for also being able to to POS OC-48 in the same box (not topology
    dependant)
    8. OK to do SNMP via IPv4
    9. support Radius / TACACS+

    Can reply to me off list and if there is interest I will consolidate a list
    and report back to the group.

    Thanks

    Dave
    David Coe, Mar 17, 2005

  2. David Coe

    Hansang Bae Guest

    David Coe wrote:

    > Folks
    >
    > I work in a lab and I have the following requirement that I am having
    > trouble finding a vendor whose equipment will support. I need:
    > 1. a Gig-Ether hardware based data capturing device,
    > 2.for IPv6 / IPv4,
    > 3.capable of deep packet inspection,
    > 4.has a capability to be controlled via a TCL/TK (so I would like one
    > who has libraries that I can utilize),
    > 5.and who can store data for a period of time but can also through
    > another port (not connected to the network under test) also off-load
    > the captured data to a storage server via TCL/TK.
    > 6. MPLS, VoIP
    > 7. Bonus for also being able to to POS OC-48 in the same box (not
    > topology dependant)
    > 8. OK to do SNMP via IPv4
    > 9. support Radius / TACACS+
    >
    > Can reply to me off list and if there is interest I will consolidate
    > a list and report back to the group.

    You might want to check out Niksun's NetVCR. I love these boxes.
    Sniffers on steroids. They added TACACS support at our behest and will
    quite a few of your requirements.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Mar 19, 2005