hardware advice for newbie

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Dave, Oct 8, 2005.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I a newbie to voip and am currently researching equipment. Could do
    with a bit of advice though.

    Currently I have a blueyonder cable connection shared between 2
    computers using internet connection sharing and a crossover cable.
    While this does work ok, it has it's disadvantages like the main PC
    having to be on for the secondary one to access the internet, so I
    would like to do things properly and get a router to share the
    connection.

    I also have a BT phone line. I have been playing about with Sipgate
    over the past couple of months using a softphone and have been most
    impressed. So I think the time has come to ditch my BT line and move
    solely to a voip system.

    So bascally I am looking for a voip router/adapter which i can plug a
    normal telephone into as well as something that can replace my
    internet connection sharing method.

    I have been browsing Sipgate's shop section, and am intersted in the
    Netgear TA612V and also the Grandstream Handytone 486 (which can be
    bought on ebay for £45)

    Reading through the instruction manuals, am i correct in thinking that
    although they will do the voice element, to share the internet
    connection I am still going to need another router, something like the
    Netgear RP614?

    If this is the case then because the RP614 can be bought for under
    £20i suppose I could probably live with that. However, are there any
    devices that can do what i want to achieve all in one for a similar
    price?

    Also does the Netgear TA612V have any advantages over the cheaper
    Handytone 486 (other than the 2 lines)?

    How easy are they to configure? Does caller display work through them?

    Any help appreciated.

    Dave, Oct 8, 2005

  2. Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > I a newbie to voip and am currently researching
    > equipment. Could do with a bit of advice though.
    >
    > Currently I have a blueyonder cable connection shared
    > between 2 computers using internet connection sharing and
    > a crossover cable. While this does work ok, it has it's
    > disadvantages like the main PC having to be on for the
    > secondary one to access the internet, so I would like to
    > do things properly and get a router to share the
    > connection.
    >
    > I also have a BT phone line. I have been playing about
    > with Sipgate over the past couple of months using a
    > softphone and have been most impressed. So I think the
    > time has come to ditch my BT line and move solely to a
    > voip system.

    Unless you have internet access via a cable provider you will need a BT
    line in order to get your broadband connection..!

    > So bascally I am looking for a voip router/adapter which
    > i can plug a normal telephone into as well as something
    > that can replace my internet connection sharing method.
    >
    > I have been browsing Sipgate's shop section, and am
    > intersted in the Netgear TA612V and also the Grandstream
    > Handytone 486 (which can be bought on ebay for £45)

    The Netgear TA612V is specifically designed for Sipgate and is locked to
    it, so you won't be able to use any other provider. This is obviously a
    disadvantage for many people, but may not be for you, only you can make
    that decision. It does require a separate modem (not router) as it
    contains a router of its own but no modem. It works well with cable modems
    so if you go that route it may well do what you want.

    The Grandstream 486 is purely an ATA, it needs an existing router to
    connect to, and only has one phone port, rather than the two of the
    TA612V.

    > Reading through the instruction manuals, am i correct in
    > thinking that although they will do the voice element, to
    > share the internet connection I am still going to need
    > another router, something like the Netgear RP614?

    The Netgear has a router (but no modem). The Grandstream has neither.

    > If this is the case then because the RP614 can be bought
    > for under £20i suppose I could probably live with that.
    > However, are there any devices that can do what i want
    > to achieve all in one for a similar price?

    My personal favourite (for a BT line, it doesn't work with cable) is the
    AVM Fritz!Box Fon which contains an ADSL modem, router and ATA. It only
    has a single ethernet port though (as does the Netgear TA612V) so an
    additional hub or switch is needed, but these are relatively cheap.

    > Also does the Netgear TA612V have any advantages over the
    > cheaper Handytone 486 (other than the 2 lines)?
    >
    > How easy are they to configure? Does caller display work
    > through them?

    Caller display should work ok, it depends on your phone. It works fine
    with mine. Configuration varies, the Fritz!Box is very easy, it was
    literally plug and go after entering account details, some other devices
    (notably Sipura) are much more complicated and do require some
    knowledge..!

    > Any help appreciated.

    Hope this helps..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 8, 2005

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 17:32:45 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Dave" <> wrote in message

    >Unless you have internet access via a cable provider you will need a BT
    >line in order to get your broadband connection..!

    I do have cable so will no longer require the BT line.

    >> So bascally I am looking for a voip router/adapter which
    >> i can plug a normal telephone into as well as something
    >> that can replace my internet connection sharing method.

    >The Netgear TA612V is specifically designed for Sipgate and is locked to
    >it, so you won't be able to use any other provider. This is obviously a
    >disadvantage for many people, but may not be for you, only you can make
    >that decision. It does require a separate modem (not router) as it
    >contains a router of its own but no modem. It works well with cable modems
    >so if you go that route it may well do what you want.

    Being locked to Sipgate is possibly a disadvantage in case i ever
    wished to change provider. I would obviously plug my cable modem into
    the WAN port, but becuse it only has the one LAN port. I take it that
    to connect 2 pcs to it I would also require something like this?
    http://www.netgear.co.uk/network_switch_fs605.php

    >The Grandstream 486 is purely an ATA, it needs an existing router to
    >connect to, and only has one phone port, rather than the two of the
    >TA612V.

    Hmm, according to the instruction manual it does have a built in
    router. If it doean't have a router, i take it that it will have to be
    used in conjunction with something like this?
    http://www.netgear.co.uk/wired_cable_router_rp614.php

    >The Netgear has a router (but no modem). The Grandstream has neither.

    >Caller display should work ok, it depends on your phone. It works fine
    >with mine. Configuration varies, the Fritz!Box is very easy, it was
    >literally plug and go after entering account details, some other devices
    >(notably Sipura) are much more complicated and do require some
    >knowledge..!

    Glad to hear that it shouldn't be too complicated. I do have some
    basic netwrking knowledge so should probably manage.

    >Hope this helps..!

    much appreciated

    Dave, Oct 8, 2005
  4. Phil Thompson, Oct 8, 2005
  5. Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in
    message news:
    > On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 17:32:45 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > The Netgear TA612V is specifically designed for Sipgate

    > don't tell the Aussies :)
    > http://www.expansys.com.au/product.asp?code=124070
    >
    > Phil

    That's interesting..! Incidentally the Grandstream 486 does have a router,
    I was thinking of the Sipura 2000. It's not as sophisticated a router as
    that in the Netgear or Fritz!Box products though and Im not altogether
    sure if it supports QoS or not.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 8, 2005
  6. Dave

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 16:15:00 GMT, Dave <> wrote:

    >I a newbie to voip and am currently researching equipment. Could do
    >with a bit of advice though.
    >
    >Currently I have a blueyonder cable connection shared between 2
    >computers using internet connection sharing and a crossover cable.
    >While this does work ok, it has it's disadvantages like the main PC
    >having to be on for the secondary one to access the internet, so I
    >would like to do things properly and get a router to share the
    >connection.
    >
    >I also have a BT phone line. I have been playing about with Sipgate
    >over the past couple of months using a softphone and have been most
    >impressed. So I think the time has come to ditch my BT line and move
    >solely to a voip system.
    >
    >So bascally I am looking for a voip router/adapter which i can plug a
    >normal telephone into as well as something that can replace my
    >internet connection sharing method.
    >
    >I have been browsing Sipgate's shop section, and am intersted in the
    >Netgear TA612V and also the Grandstream Handytone 486 (which can be
    >bought on ebay for £45)
    >
    >Reading through the instruction manuals, am i correct in thinking that
    >although they will do the voice element, to share the internet
    >connection I am still going to need another router, something like the
    >Netgear RP614?
    >
    >If this is the case then because the RP614 can be bought for under
    >£20i suppose I could probably live with that. However, are there any
    >devices that can do what i want to achieve all in one for a similar
    >price?
    >
    >Also does the Netgear TA612V have any advantages over the cheaper
    >Handytone 486 (other than the 2 lines)?
    >
    >How easy are they to configure? Does caller display work through them?
    >
    >Any help appreciated.

    First piece of advice: You are currently looking at Sipgate. Don't buy
    any hardware from Sipgate that is locked to Sipgate - such as the
    Netgear. I know that it has been on offer and a friend got one. I did
    warn him but, like so many people, he didn't heed my advice. Now he
    has learned that Sipgate isn't so reliable and he regrets it.
    Personally I wouldn't buy locked gear from anyone but it does have its
    uses, for non-technical people, who just want a simple set up, with a
    single provider, and are willing to pay a fixed fee for the
    priviledge.

    Some people on here use a Linksys router/ATA - I am sure advice will
    follow.

    You might also look at he the Draytek router/ATA- expensive though.

    When you check out your router make sure it has QoS (Quality of
    Service) provision on it.

    When choosing an ATA you need to ensure that it has the number of
    incoming lines you require and will cope with a number of outgoing
    providers. Sipura ATAs are popular and worth a look - don't expect an
    instruction book though - you won't get one!

    I have a voip only phone system, on cable, using voipfone and
    voipbuster.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Oct 8, 2005
  7. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in
    > message news:
    >
    >>On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 17:32:45 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>The Netgear TA612V is specifically designed for Sipgate

    >>don't tell the Aussies :)
    >>http://www.expansys.com.au/product.asp?code=124070
    >>
    >>Phil

    > That's interesting..! Incidentally the Grandstream 486 does have a router,
    > I was thinking of the Sipura 2000. It's not as sophisticated a router as
    > that in the Netgear or Fritz!Box products though and Im not altogether
    > sure if it supports QoS or not.
    >
    > Ivor

    ISTR that the HT-486 only has 10BaseT LAN and WAN ports, so if you're
    considering getting super-fast broadband (>=8Mb/s) any time soon, it's
    probably not a good long-term buy. ICBW, YMMV and so forth ;)

    Keith

    Keith the Confused, Oct 8, 2005
  8. Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Keith the Confused" <> wrote in
    message news:AuW1f.10059$

    [snip]

    > ISTR that the HT-486 only has 10BaseT LAN and WAN ports,
    > so if you're considering getting super-fast broadband
    > (>=8Mb/s) any time soon, it's probably not a good
    > long-term buy. ICBW, YMMV and so forth ;)

    That really shouldn't affect the internet speed, only the local LAN.
    10Mbps is plenty fast enough for practically any broadband connection..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 8, 2005
  9. Dave

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    || "Keith the Confused" <> wrote in
    || message news:AuW1f.10059$
    || [snip]
    ||| ISTR that the HT-486 only has 10BaseT LAN and WAN ports,
    ||| so if you're considering getting super-fast broadband
    ||| (>=8Mb/s) any time soon, it's probably not a good
    ||| long-term buy. ICBW, YMMV and so forth ;)
    || That really shouldn't affect the internet speed, only the local LAN.
    || 10Mbps is plenty fast enough for practically any broadband
    || connection..!
    || Ivor

    Telewest are rolling out upgrades of 10Mbps for cable broadband. see
    www.blueyonder.co.uk/evenfaster

    With overheads, you're not going to get the full speed, if you use 10BaseT.
    They're even swapping some of the older Moto modems that have a 10BaseT WAN
    port.

    Jono, Oct 8, 2005
  10. Dave

    Peter Jones Guest

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 16:15:00 GMT Dave Dave <>
    wrote:
    >I a newbie to voip and am currently researching equipment. Could do
    >with a bit of advice though.
    >
    >Currently I have a blueyonder cable connection shared between 2
    >computers using internet connection sharing and a crossover cable.
    >While this does work ok, it has it's disadvantages like the main PC
    >having to be on for the secondary one to access the internet, so I
    >would like to do things properly and get a router to share the
    >connection.

    (snip)

    You might find the Draytec Vigor 2100 I use one with Blue yonder
    and it works ok. The manual could be better written, but there is some
    more helpful information on the web site.
    http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2100v.html

    "The DrayTek Vigor 2100V is an broadband firewall/router - ideal for
    sharing your Cable Modem (e.g. Telewest Blueyonder or NTL) between
    several PCs, with a built-in VoIP (Voice over IP) telephone port. Even
    if you have just one PC, the router provides the firewall facilities.
    The phone port enables you to use your existing broadband connection
    to make VoIP calls to any other compatible device, anywhere in the
    world and anywhere on the Internet, free of charge. You can receive
    calls too of course, and all with a standard (analogue) telephone
    which you connect into the socket on the back of the router."

    Peter

    -- --
    Peter Jones

    Join the campaign against ID cards
    www.no2id.net
    Sign the NO2ID card pledge at:
    www.pledgebank.com/refuse
    Fax your MP for free: www.faxyourmp.com

    Peter Jones, Oct 8, 2005
  11. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Keith the Confused" <> wrote in
    > message news:AuW1f.10059$
    >
    > [snip]
    >

    >>ISTR that the HT-486 only has 10BaseT LAN and WAN ports,
    >>so if you're considering getting super-fast broadband
    >>(>=8Mb/s) any time soon, it's probably not a good
    >>long-term buy. ICBW, YMMV and so forth ;)

    > That really shouldn't affect the internet speed, only the local LAN.
    > 10Mbps is plenty fast enough for practically any broadband connection..!

    "640K ought to be enough for anyone"? ;)

    Sorry, but that's not true. Already there are (LLU-only, at the moment)
    services that give you in excess of 10Mb/s, and cable's not too far
    behind (Telewest and NTL are currently rolling out 10Mb/s services).

    Keith

    Keith the Confused, Oct 9, 2005
  12. Dave

    Martin² Guest