    recordings from the old hardrive to the new hardrive. He even caled
    Panasonic and they said the same thing.Surely there has to be a way. Any
    help would be great. Thanks

    Keith, Nov 5, 2005

  2. Keith

    Biz Guest

    If your friend had a bad drive in his PC, say with failed sectors, how would
    he go about recovering it? In most cases you dont. If the drive has
    already failed, in most cases teh data is not retreivable by normal means.
    Now if its not really the drive, and the data is still intact, the drive is
    formatted in some form of Unix(Linux) etc....so if you think you can
    figureout how to access the drive, knock yourself out
    "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > A friend of mine has a Panasonic stand alone DVD recorder. It has been
    > acting up so he took it to the shop. They say its the hardrive and it

    needs
    > replaced. Problem is they say there is no way to transfer his 150 hrs of
    > recordings from the old hardrive to the new hardrive. He even caled
    > Panasonic and they said the same thing.Surely there has to be a way. Any
    > help would be great. Thanks

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----
    Biz, Nov 5, 2005

  3. Keith

    Rick Guest

    Give this a try ... SpinRite6 by www.grc.com

    Just read all about his philosophy behind the software he writes and you
    will understand why this guy is the best.

    Rick, Nov 5, 2005
  4. Keith

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Depending on what the actual problem with the drive is you may or may not be
    able to retrieve the data. I am unaware of how Panasonic DVD recorders
    format their drives. If its FAT (doubt it) or NTFS (possible, but also
    doubtful) you can remove the drive and put it in a windows based computer to
    attempt to retrieve the data. If its Unix or Linux based you could but it
    in a Linux based computer and attempt to retrieve it.

    Also, it sounds nuts, but you can place a failing drive in the freezer for
    half-hour or so and sometimes get it to work for awhile longer. I have done
    this several times with HDDs from PCs. You can sometimes get it working
    long enough to get the info off of it.

    I does depend on what the problem is though. Bad sectors can sometimes be
    recovered sometimes not. A blown control board is usually fatal unless you
    have another of the identical drive and you can swap the external control
    boards but this also doesn't always work. The circuitry inside the drive
    really can't be replaced unless you have a cleanroom. Opening the drive to
    do so will let dust and other contaminates into the drive and may cause
    further failure!

    Unfortunately failing HDDs are hit and miss. Solutions that work on one
    failed drive don't work on another. He may simply be out of luck! :-( I
    know how he feels, my computer has over 600GB of storage and I lost one of
    the drives a few months ago. Took me down to 450GB for awhile, until a
    replacment came in. I saved failed drives info using the freezer trick but
    I very barely fit it onto the remaining drives. I'm looking at adding
    another 300GB or so.

    "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > A friend of mine has a Panasonic stand alone DVD recorder. It has been
    > acting up so he took it to the shop. They say its the hardrive and it

    needs
    > replaced. Problem is they say there is no way to transfer his 150 hrs of
    > recordings from the old hardrive to the new hardrive. He even caled
    > Panasonic and they said the same thing.Surely there has to be a way. Any
    > help would be great. Thanks

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----