Harddrive Problem - Any help greatly appreciated!!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Heineken, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. Heineken

    Heineken Guest

    Here is my problem.

    I have 2 harddrives. An 80 gig and a 40 gig. I run my 80 gig as master
    with the OS on it, and my 40 gig is a slave. One day my computer stopped
    working for some odd reason. **I've been having problems since I purchased
    it** It would not load WinXP. I formatted/partitioned and reinstalled my
    OS ((tried WinME and WinXP)) back onto my 80gig drive. For some reason,
    when the computer loaded up after the installation my 40 gig slave drive was
    not showing up on My Computer. I had no access to it.

    I reinstalled my OS a couple times, and finally my drive showed up after I
    changed the harddrive cable. However now the 40 gig is showing up as not
    formatted. When I try to access the drive, it says that the drive is not
    formatted, and asks me if I want to format it now. I don't want to do that
    because I don't want to lose any information that I had on the drive.

    How can I get my drive back to the state it was in before I ran into these
    problems, without losing any info that was on the drive? I'm lost :(

    Thanks for your time!

    Heineken, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Heineken

    James Guest

    "Heineken" <> wrote in message
    > Here is my problem.
    >
    > I have 2 harddrives. An 80 gig and a 40 gig. I run my 80 gig as master
    > with the OS on it, and my 40 gig is a slave. One day my computer stopped
    > working for some odd reason. **I've been having problems since I

    purchased
    > it** It would not load WinXP. I formatted/partitioned and reinstalled my
    > OS ((tried WinME and WinXP)) back onto my 80gig drive. For some reason,
    > when the computer loaded up after the installation my 40 gig slave drive

    was
    > not showing up on My Computer. I had no access to it.
    >
    > I reinstalled my OS a couple times, and finally my drive showed up after I
    > changed the harddrive cable. However now the 40 gig is showing up as not
    > formatted. When I try to access the drive, it says that the drive is not
    > formatted, and asks me if I want to format it now. I don't want to do

    that
    > because I don't want to lose any information that I had on the drive.
    >
    > How can I get my drive back to the state it was in before I ran into these
    > problems, without losing any info that was on the drive? I'm lost :(
    >
    > Thanks for your time!

    Well I hope that someone will know better than me - but I would say that you
    will have to format the HD as it is unformatted - this happened to me
    recently - I am not quite sure why either, but I had lost all my data

    James, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Heineken

    RussS Guest

    XP? - sounds like you have reinstalled it as Fat32 and the second drive is
    NTFS.
    Explore2fs is a utility for exploring Linux ex2fs partitions from windows.
    The same crowd have one for reading NTFS from FAT - have a look for it.

    RussS, Oct 9, 2003
  4. In article
    <cqhhb.267768$>, Happily-
    says...
    > Here is my problem.
    >
    > I have 2 harddrives. An 80 gig and a 40 gig. I run my 80 gig as master
    > with the OS on it, and my 40 gig is a slave. One day my computer stopped
    > working for some odd reason. **I've been having problems since I purchased
    > it** It would not load WinXP. I formatted/partitioned and reinstalled my
    > OS ((tried WinME and WinXP)) back onto my 80gig drive. For some reason,
    > when the computer loaded up after the installation my 40 gig slave drive was
    > not showing up on My Computer. I had no access to it.
    >
    > I reinstalled my OS a couple times, and finally my drive showed up after I
    > changed the harddrive cable. However now the 40 gig is showing up as not
    > formatted. When I try to access the drive, it says that the drive is not
    > formatted, and asks me if I want to format it now. I don't want to do that
    > because I don't want to lose any information that I had on the drive.
    >
    > How can I get my drive back to the state it was in before I ran into these
    > problems, without losing any info that was on the drive? I'm lost :(
    >
    > Thanks for your time!

    I feel your pain. The most important thing you can do right now, is to
    try and accept your situation as it is. Next, backup any important data
    on that 80 gig. You may or may not be able to access that 40 gig drive,
    but for right now, keep your expectations very low as far as data
    recovery.

    In my repair business, I don't even do a bench-check on a computer unless
    the customer has done a back-up of thier important data (files pictures
    etc). This may seem a lttle over-the-top as far as making sure my butt
    is covered, but I can assure you, that murphys law is very prevalent in
    the world of computer repair.

    I'm curious, is the computer either a HP or Compaq?

    The most important thing you can do right now, is to try and develop some
    acceptance of your situation.

    After you have had a chance to get things hashed-out in the next few
    days, see if there is a upgrade for the BIOS in your computer.
    Beyond that, see what you can do to get some type of back-up system in
    place, whether cdr, online back-up, GHOST, whatever, so that you can have
    peace of mind in the future.

    And allways remember, It's not a matter of if, but WHEN, when it comes
    to disasters like this.
    Wish ya luck

    Hill Street Blues, Oct 9, 2003
  5. On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:04:47 +1300, "RussS" <>
    wrote:

    >XP? - sounds like you have reinstalled it as Fat32 and the second drive is
    >NTFS.
    >Explore2fs is a utility for exploring Linux ex2fs partitions from windows.
    >The same crowd have one for reading NTFS from FAT - have a look for it.

    Sounds plausible...Winternals and Sysinternals were the companies that
    had those utilities for reading across different formats. Read-only
    used to be free also.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Heineken

    RussS Guest

    Remembered it - Paragon NTFS for Win98. Very handy for accessing NTFS
    partitions from FAT

    RussS, Oct 10, 2003
  7. What operating system did you finally reinstall?? If it was XP then use Computer
    Management/disk management to see what is up with the second drive. I have had
    situations where other disks were not properly recognized. In disk management view
    the disk properties and there may be an option to initialize, import or such. In
    W2K/XP drives can be basic or dynamic, and if your drive was dynamic it could be
    giving your new install problems as dynamic disk information is stored in the
    registry.-- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329707
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314343

    Steven L Umbach, Oct 11, 2003