harddrive ftp synchronizing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by doofus, Jan 22, 2008.

  1. doofus

    doofus Guest

    Does anybody know a good utility, free if possible but willing to pay if
    not, which sychronizes the files in a folder (and subfolders) on my hardrive
    with a directory on my ftp server?

    It would be real handy because I work from the ftp server sometimes, then I
    go home and work on the same files, or at least in the same folders, on my
    hardrive.

    I know I could manually upload and download, (overwriting where appropriate)
    using a straight ftp client but's it's a bit awkward to do repeatedly and is
    prone to errors.

    The best free one I have found, indeed the only free one that works at all
    is called "Carbon FTP" and frankly, I'm loath to recommend it because it is
    starting to do weird stuff and is not synchronizing all the subfolders. At
    one point in the log it says it has downloaded a file which was not there in
    the first place. When I look it has changed the date on the local file to
    the present date but there is no corresponding file on the server. That sort
    of thing makes me nervous because I can't afford to lose data.

    If anybody has experience of such a utility and they can recommend it (and
    they [ehem] don't work for the company that sells it [cough]) please give
    this dog a heads up. Thanks.

    doofus, Jan 22, 2008

  2. doofus

    SJP Guest

    "doofus" <> wrote in message
    > Does anybody know a good utility, free if possible but willing to pay if
    > not, which sychronizes the files in a folder (and subfolders) on my
    > hardrive
    > with a directory on my ftp server?

    Try asking in alt.comp.freeware as well

    SJP, Jan 22, 2008

  3. doofus

    John Holmes Guest

    doofus "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Does anybody know a good utility, free if possible but willing to pay
    > if not, which sychronizes the files in a folder (and subfolders) on my
    > hardrive with a directory on my ftp server?
    >
    > It would be real handy because I work from the ftp server sometimes,
    > then I go home and work on the same files, or at least in the same
    > folders, on my hardrive.
    >
    > I know I could manually upload and download, (overwriting where
    > appropriate) using a straight ftp client but's it's a bit awkward to
    > do repeatedly and is prone to errors.
    >
    > The best free one I have found, indeed the only free one that works at
    > all is called "Carbon FTP" and frankly, I'm loath to recommend it
    > because it is starting to do weird stuff and is not synchronizing all
    > the subfolders. At one point in the log it says it has downloaded a
    > file which was not there in the first place. When I look it has
    > changed the date on the local file to the present date but there is no
    > corresponding file on the server. That sort of thing makes me nervous
    > because I can't afford to lose data.
    >
    > If anybody has experience of such a utility and they can recommend it
    > (and they [ehem] don't work for the company that sells it [cough])
    > please give this dog a heads up. Thanks.

    Syncback is what you want. Lots of features and most of all, it's free.
    I've been using it for years to keep backups all around my network.

    --
    Your mother was a trigger-happy cafeteria lady who spent most of her life
    in fast food restaurants.

    John Holmes, Jan 22, 2008
  4. doofus

    doofus Guest

    Great! Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

    doofus, Jan 22, 2008
  5. doofus

    doofus Guest

    Oopsie. The FTP version of the program isn't free, but no matter. Maybe I'll
    buy a licence.

    doofus, Jan 22, 2008
  6. doofus

    John Holmes Guest

    doofus "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Oopsie. The FTP version of the program isn't free, but no matter.
    > Maybe I'll buy a licence.

    Strange. I have a version working with FTP and never had to pay for it. Do
    you have any way where I could hand you my version?

    --
    Your mother was a dweeby ass who prostituted herself in septic tanks.

    John Holmes, Jan 22, 2008
  7. doofus

    John Holmes Guest

    doofus "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Oopsie. The FTP version of the program isn't free, but no matter.
    > Maybe I'll buy a licence.

    Send me an email, my email addy in the headers is valid. I'll get back to
    you with a working link for a free version that works with FTP.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Jan 22, 2008