    any ideas whats causing it , and also any idea where in Uk I can get
    it repaired ( cheaply )

    PAUL
    Dangermouse, Oct 12, 2005

  2. Dangermouse

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:17:22 GMT, "Dangermouse" <> wrote:

    >ok folks , i have a hard disk that i have tested over two computers
    >and tested those computers with a couple of other spare hardisks
    >
    >Conclusion
    >
    >it defo seems to cause some kind of serious error that computers are scared
    >off !!
    >
    >Hit the power button to turn a computer on and you hear the fans starting ,
    >within about
    >a second or two before the bios info even comes in the computers turn off
    >
    >they defo dont like this hardisk
    >
    >any ideas whats causing it , and also any idea where in Uk I can get
    >it repaired ( cheaply )
    >
    >PAUL

    Internal short. It's poping the power supply's circuit breaker.
    Unk, Oct 12, 2005

  3. Dangermouse

    WormWood Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:17:22 GMT, "Dangermouse"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>ok folks , i have a hard disk that i have tested over two computers
    >>and tested those computers with a couple of other spare hardisks
    >>
    >>Conclusion
    >>
    >>it defo seems to cause some kind of serious error that computers are
    >>scared
    >>off !!
    >>
    >>Hit the power button to turn a computer on and you hear the fans
    >>starting ,
    >>within about
    >>a second or two before the bios info even comes in the computers turn
    >>off
    >>
    >>they defo dont like this hardisk
    >>
    >>any ideas whats causing it , and also any idea where in Uk I can get
    >>it repaired ( cheaply )
    >>
    >>PAUL
    >>

    > Internal short. It's poping the power supply's circuit breaker.

    On both computers? Or do you mean the short is in the hard drive? :)
    WW
    WormWood, Oct 12, 2005
  4. Dangermouse

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 03:34:11 -0400, "WormWood" <> wrote:

    >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:17:22 GMT, "Dangermouse"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>ok folks , i have a hard disk that i have tested over two computers
    >>>and tested those computers with a couple of other spare hardisks
    >>>
    >>>Conclusion
    >>>
    >>>it defo seems to cause some kind of serious error that computers are
    >>>scared
    >>>off !!
    >>>
    >>>Hit the power button to turn a computer on and you hear the fans
    >>>starting ,
    >>>within about
    >>>a second or two before the bios info even comes in the computers turn
    >>>off
    >>>
    >>>they defo dont like this hardisk
    >>>
    >>>any ideas whats causing it , and also any idea where in Uk I can get
    >>>it repaired ( cheaply )
    >>>
    >>>PAUL
    >>>

    >> Internal short. It's poping the power supply's circuit breaker.
    >>

    >On both computers? Or do you mean the short is in the hard drive? :)
    >WW

    Internal short in the HD. It's poping the PC's power supply's circuit breaker.
    Unk, Oct 12, 2005
  5. Dangermouse

    Silvabod Guest

    SNIP ...any idea where in Uk I can get it repaired ( cheaply )

    You jest! UNLESS you have critical-value business data and need it
    recovered (but you DID make regular back-ups, didn't you?) ....
    the hourly rate of a technician exceeds the cost of a new disk, probably of
    greater capacity/speed. Then add the company's overhead .... forget it!

    Regular scheduled FULL, plus daily incremental backups to second drive or
    external media = peace of mind.

    Silvabod.

    Silvabod, Oct 12, 2005
  6. Dangermouse

    Bluesky Guest

    >Internal short in the HD. It's poping the PC's power supply's circuit
    >breaker.

    Thnaks for that , it certainly makes sense to me ... to you imagine such a
    thing would
    damage the disk or would it operate normally if fixed

    --
    Cheers
    Paul [Bluesky Marketing]

    Bluesky Marketing
    Unit 29
    SIX Harmony Row
    Glasgow G51 3BA

    Bluesky, Oct 12, 2005
  7. Dangermouse

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-10-12, Dangermouse <> wrote:
    > ok folks , i have a hard disk that i have tested over two computers
    > and tested those computers with a couple of other spare hardisks
    >
    > Conclusion
    >
    > it defo seems to cause some kind of serious error that computers are scared
    > off !!
    >
    > Hit the power button to turn a computer on and you hear the fans starting ,
    > within about
    > a second or two before the bios info even comes in the computers turn off
    >
    > they defo dont like this hardisk
    >
    > any ideas whats causing it , and also any idea where in Uk I can get
    > it repaired ( cheaply )
    >
    > PAUL

    I don't think HDs are 'repairable'. If the data on it is worth enough to
    you then a data recovery service may be able to help, at a price. Backups
    are far cheaper, so start now if you haven't got any.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 12, 2005
  8. Dangermouse

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:41:35 +0000 (UTC), "Bluesky" <> wrote:

    >>Internal short in the HD. It's poping the PC's power supply's circuit
    >>breaker.

    >Thnaks for that , it certainly makes sense to me ... to you imagine such a
    >thing would
    >damage the disk or would it operate normally if fixed

    If you can locate an identical hard drive, you can try swapping the logic board.
    I've only had one success in 5 tries. Not good odds...
    Unk, Oct 13, 2005