    As far as I can remember, it auto detected the drive parameters, and I
    wondered whether anyone knows what the capacity limit might be?

    Thanks.
    ian field, Sep 4, 2010

  2. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 21:46:29 +0100, ian field wrote:

    > While rummaging through some old PC stuff I found the PCB from a Western
    > Digital Hardcard.
    >
    > IIRC these came in 2 types - the old ST506 with seperate data cable and
    > the IDE type, the one I found is the IDE type.
    >
    > As far as I can remember, it auto detected the drive parameters, and I
    > wondered whether anyone knows what the capacity limit might be?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Guess --- under 137gb

    Meat Plow, Sep 4, 2010

  3. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 21:46:29 +0100, ian field wrote:
    >
    >> While rummaging through some old PC stuff I found the PCB from a Western
    >> Digital Hardcard.
    >>
    >> IIRC these came in 2 types - the old ST506 with seperate data cable and
    >> the IDE type, the one I found is the IDE type.
    >>
    >> As far as I can remember, it auto detected the drive parameters, and I
    >> wondered whether anyone knows what the capacity limit might be?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Guess --- under 137gb

    Thanks.

    Maybe I should dig out the couple of old XT-turbos gathering dust in the
    spare room and find out whether either can be got going again.

    Recently I gathered up all the abandoned HDDs laying around, they range from
    a lowly 1Gb to 200Gb so I could put your guess to the test.

    Is your guess based on geometry recognition limits or FAT limitations?
    ian field, Sep 4, 2010
  4. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > On 09/04/2010 03:46 PM, ian field wrote:
    >> While rummaging through some old PC stuff I found the PCB from a Western
    >> Digital Hardcard.
    >>
    >> IIRC these came in 2 types - the old ST506 with seperate data cable and
    >> the
    >> IDE type, the one I found is the IDE type.
    >>
    >> As far as I can remember, it auto detected the drive parameters, and I
    >> wondered whether anyone knows what the capacity limit might be?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > I had one once
    >

    > can't recall what size it was but I'm guessing 40 - 100 megs

    I'm pretty sure the one I got this PCB from was only 20Mb, but I've
    definately used bigger drives with it.

    I have a faint reccolection of using Ontrack systems Drive manager to create
    a partition bigger than the 528Mb limit, only to find that Norton calibrate
    wasn't having any of it! - pretty much a neccessity with the rattly old
    drives I was mucking about with back then.
    ian field, Sep 4, 2010
  5. ian field

    chuckcar Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in

    > While rummaging through some old PC stuff I found the PCB from a
    > Western Digital Hardcard.
    >
    > IIRC these came in 2 types - the old ST506 with seperate data cable
    > and the IDE type, the one I found is the IDE type.
    >
    > As far as I can remember, it auto detected the drive parameters, and I
    > wondered whether anyone knows what the capacity limit might be?
    >
    > Thanks.

    That would really depend on the type of card: PCI,ISA , VLB or EISA

    It would certainly be under 1GB. The "older type" would be MFM. MFM drives
    went up to less than 200MB.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 4, 2010
  6. ian field

    chuckcar Guest

    Barry OGrady <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 21:46:29 +0100, "ian field"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>While rummaging through some old PC stuff I found the PCB from a
    >>Western Digital Hardcard.
    >>
    >>IIRC these came in 2 types - the old ST506 with seperate data cable
    >>and the IDE type, the one I found is the IDE type.
    >>
    >>As far as I can remember, it auto detected the drive parameters, and I
    >>wondered whether anyone knows what the capacity limit might be?

    > 32 megabytes

    No, it would be more than that. MFM did over 80MB.

    Here's the whole history:

    http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_size_barriers.htm

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 5, 2010
  7. ian field

    Bill Guest

    <> wrote:

    >While rummaging through some old PC stuff I found the PCB from a Western
    >Digital Hardcard.
    >
    >IIRC these came in 2 types - the old ST506 with seperate data cable and the
    >IDE type, the one I found is the IDE type.
    >
    >As far as I can remember, it auto detected the drive parameters, and I
    >wondered whether anyone knows what the capacity limit might be?
    >
    >Thanks.

    I had one that was 10 mb and one that was 20 mb.

    I put them into XT's that originally had only two full height 5.25
    floppy drives
    Bill, Sep 5, 2010
  8. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "ian field" <> wrote in
    >
    >> While rummaging through some old PC stuff I found the PCB from a
    >> Western Digital Hardcard.
    >>
    >> IIRC these came in 2 types - the old ST506 with seperate data cable
    >> and the IDE type, the one I found is the IDE type.
    >>
    >> As far as I can remember, it auto detected the drive parameters, and I
    >> wondered whether anyone knows what the capacity limit might be?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > That would really depend on the type of card: PCI,ISA , VLB or EISA
    >
    > It would certainly be under 1GB. The "older type" would be MFM. MFM drives
    > went up to less than 200MB.

    I forgot to mention it was ISA only, but the whole point was easy
    installation in an XT - ARAIK there were never any EISA WD hardcards.

    However I did state for those who can read; its an IDE interface.
    ian field, Sep 5, 2010
  9. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 21:46:29 +0100, "ian field"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>While rummaging through some old PC stuff I found the PCB from a Western
    >>Digital Hardcard.
    >>
    >>IIRC these came in 2 types - the old ST506 with seperate data cable and
    >>the
    >>IDE type, the one I found is the IDE type.
    >>
    >>As far as I can remember, it auto detected the drive parameters, and I
    >>wondered whether anyone knows what the capacity limit might be?

    > 32 megabytes

    From distant memory I vaguely remember using a HDD with the IDE Hardcard PCB
    that required Ontrack Systems drive manager to beat the 528Mb partition
    limit, I have a dim & distant memory of trying a 1Gb HDD, which didn't
    work - but ISTR later discovering the drive disn't work on a 286 either, so
    that doesn't prove the hardcard board can't handle 2Gb - but I didn't find
    out it could either.
    ian field, Sep 5, 2010
  10. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Bill" <BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 21:46:29 +0100, "ian field"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>While rummaging through some old PC stuff I found the PCB from a Western
    >>Digital Hardcard.
    >>
    >>IIRC these came in 2 types - the old ST506 with seperate data cable and
    >>the
    >>IDE type, the one I found is the IDE type.
    >>
    >>As far as I can remember, it auto detected the drive parameters, and I
    >>wondered whether anyone knows what the capacity limit might be?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>

    > I had one that was 10 mb and one that was 20 mb.
    >
    > I put them into XT's that originally had only two full height 5.25
    > floppy drives

    That was precisely what they were for.

    There was also the Pluscard (and possibly others) the Pluscard had a unique
    interface between the HDD & PCB so it wasn't possible to experiment with
    drive capacities.
    ian field, Sep 5, 2010
  11. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 22:20:54 +0100, ian field wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 21:46:29 +0100, ian field wrote:
    >>
    >>> While rummaging through some old PC stuff I found the PCB from a
    >>> Western Digital Hardcard.
    >>>
    >>> IIRC these came in 2 types - the old ST506 with seperate data cable
    >>> and the IDE type, the one I found is the IDE type.
    >>>
    >>> As far as I can remember, it auto detected the drive parameters, and I
    >>> wondered whether anyone knows what the capacity limit might be?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Guess --- under 137gb

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Maybe I should dig out the couple of old XT-turbos gathering dust in the
    > spare room and find out whether either can be got going again.
    >
    > Recently I gathered up all the abandoned HDDs laying around, they range
    > from a lowly 1Gb to 200Gb so I could put your guess to the test.
    >
    > Is your guess based on geometry recognition limits or FAT limitations?

    Guess based upon the age of the controller. The onboard BIOS wouldn't be
    one that could do 48 bit LBA because drives of that size hadn't been
    available.

    Meat Plow, Sep 5, 2010