Hard Practice Exams???

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Frank, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    I've been using Windows Xp for over a year now on a daily basis. I've also
    had a summer internship at a fairly large company working desktop support
    for the building. I've also run support for an entire year in people dorm
    rooms for the school I attend.

    Anyway, I'm not a dumbass, and I keep failing the tests that came with the
    Microsoft book for 271 and 272. The questions are so detailed and in the
    real world no one is expected to have the answers for this weird crap. When
    people present me with a problem I use my own machine to figure out what the
    answer is and I tell them. I've never had to support blind people and
    they're asking questions like that.

    I really want to know if the practice tests that came on the accompanying cd
    paint a good picture of what the test is actually like? Is it easier than
    these practice tests? Are you allowed to use windows xp while you take the
    test?

    At first I just thought I wasn't paying enough attention to detail in these
    books, but I've re-read the chapters that seem to be my weak points and I
    still can't get the questions 100 percent right.

    The questions that ask you to do something and give the steps in the correct
    order are killers. Especially when you know that you aren't going to use
    all of them.

    Thanks for your feedback in advance.....
    Frank

    Frank, Sep 1, 2004

  2. I found the tests that came with the 272 book harder than the test itself.
    Like you I was unable to get 100% on the
    practice tests but I still passes both exams. A lot of times if you take
    your time and don't rush through the test
    I have found that some of the questions are common sense. If you have the
    experience then chances are you
    will not have any problems.

    Robert Boesen, Sep 1, 2004

  3. >-----Original Message-----

    mukaila hassan, Sep 1, 2004
  4. Frank

    Guest Guest

    Frank,

    I found the 300 sample questions on the CD difficult also
    but I used the study mode and after taking themn 2-3 times
    I got to the point where I understood the questions and I
    was able to answer them correctly. Now I've heard people
    post on this newsgroup that the test was easier than the
    questions in the book. I personally did not find that to
    be the case. I was able to ace the 125 objective-by
    objective questions and the additional 300 sample questions
    prior to taking the test and I found neither really helped
    me on the test itself. I think hands on experience is best
    for preparing for these exams. I would still try to ace
    the practice exams as they will help you learn to think
    through the problems and this will help you on the test. I
    did pass but I felt I was not as prepared as I would like
    to have been. Next test I will purchase the Transcender
    practice exams as I feel they are a better at preparing you
    for these types of exams. Hope this helps.
    Feral Geek

    Guest, Sep 2, 2004
  5. Frank

    Charles Guest

    Well I don't know about the books, I just went and took
    both exams on a Monday morning and passed both of them
    without a problem. I was surprised by the Office 2003
    configuration questions, but it wasn't really a biggie
    since most were common sense questions and like you I
    don't support blind people, however I do support a few
    managers who like the text readback and entering text via
    voice mode (microphone) although they do have to train it
    first, but I was surprised how well it works eventually.

    I didn't study anything but had ordered a book and after a
    month of backorder just cancelled it and took the exams as
    I've got other fish to fry (CCNA, MCSA 2003 Upgrade,
    Security exams, CISSP, etc) but I love doing desktop
    support even though I've been a network admin for the past
    5 of my last 10 yrs of experience.

    I don't know why you keep failing the practice exams
    (didn't do those either), but questions in the right order
    isn't a biggie either, either you've done it or you
    haven't. It's my opinion that experience does count on
    this exam, but so does common sense and a logical approach
    to problem solving. I've been working with MS Office
    Suites & Lotus Suites since the early 90's, haven't seen a
    whole lot of changes during that time other than maybe
    feature sets (like speach & language settings) and to this
    day I still hate setting up laptops for those going
    overseas or those that deal with international clients,
    etc.

    Just schedule a real exam and do it, you'll think hard
    (usually your first instinct is correct) but just
    eliminate the obvious wrong answer and your chances at
    success is better. Otherwise you'd just hold back and
    never take the exam. I've yet to study for any exam I've
    taken (except the CCNA which I've failed twice now), but
    passed all the MS exams just on experience (except 70-214
    beta - that was tough and no clue how bad off I was).

    Good luck.

    Charles, Sep 8, 2004